Bygis

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the best silent comedies I've ever seen..., 17 April 2008

I never would have guessed in a million years what a pleasant surprise "The Farmer's wife" turned out to be for me. I love Alfred Hitchcock and consider him one of my favorite filmmakers but I still have to admit that I'm not too impressed about all of his earliest efforts. I started to watch this charming little-known gem with a very low expectations since I knew it wasn't even a thriller and therefore not Hitch's number one genre but I certainly didn't expect it to be as funny, warm-hearted and downright irresistible as it actually was. Actors were marvelous, humor was brilliant and most important of all the story was timeless. I honestly can't remember the last time I got such a good feeling from a movie. I'll promise you if you like films of the silent era this one is definitely a gem you don't want to miss!

Simply marvelous bad movie roller-coaster!, 18 March 2008

There's so many negative reviews about "Stay away, Joe" in here I just can't stay quiet any longer and let this injustice happen. Here's a side you haven't heard yet.

Elvis Presley's movies are my guilty pleasure for a simple reason: they are perfect films for a pure relaxation because I don't have to think when I watch them. That means I don't have to worry about missing a complex plot because there never is a proper plot to start with. I can just kick off my shoes, grab a beer, sit back, switch off my brains and enjoy all the general wackiness and catchy easy-going rock n' roll tunes from the grooviest decade of them all.

In my books "Stay away, Joe" definitely falls into the "so bad it's good"-category. Now if you're like me and appreciate "the trash value", this is the ultimate 1960's camp experience. It's so bad that it's almost surrealistic to watch and just when you think that it can't possibly get any worse it surprises you in the most imaginable ways. In the end you're so amazed by all the new levels of stupidity you just don't know whether to laugh or cry. In a nutshell: I love it because it's so damn amusing that there once was a generation that actually made films like this. I still give it 1 out of 10 though - once it hits the bottom 100 it will became an instant bad movie classic.

Excellent beginning to a legend, 15 December 2004

This surely was a fantastic way to give birth to in my opinion the greatest television detective ever. Terrificly charming Peter Falk (who stills looks so bloody young in this one) shines in the role of Columbo right from the beginning. Personally I think the best episodes was yet to come, after all quite a bunch of these films was made. But there's nothing wrong with "Prescription: Murder". It is unquestionably an excellent start that could instantly hook anyone to watch the whole series. I mean who wouldn't love this man, his mannerisms, cigars, talks about his wife and other clever trademarks. The whole series is a delightful and unforgettable masterpiece of TV history. I have to give 9 out of 10 already to the first one.

Silly thriller, 10 September 2004

This was a silly movie. Not necessarily bad but downright silly. I know Roger Moore has done lot more during his long career than just played in The Saint television series and James Bond movies but still every time I see Moore I can only think of him as either Simon Templar or 007. "The Executors" (or whatever you want to call this, there seems to be so many titles) was made between "The Man with the golden gun" and "The Spy who loved me" so naturally I see it as a some kind of a weird unofficial Bond flick. It has many of the same elements like dry humor and wild car chases. But it's certainly no Bond. I still have to say that it was a pretty entertaining way to spend a little time with even though you could find so many better movies I don't know even where to start listing.

Indeed it's the biggest Shaft of all., 30 July 2004

It was a magnificent idea to put Shaft in Africa after two excellent urban thrillers. Like the trailer said "Shaft in Africa" is the biggest Shaft of all and even though it's only a silly way to advertise a brand new film I can only agree. I think the whole damn trilogy is simply awesome but part three is absolutely invincible by any standard. This film has it all: adventure, excitement, wonderful characters, great acting, sex, action, exotic locations, thrills and kills. I saw "Shaft in Africa" when I was just a little boy and I always remember how impressed I was about it. John Shaft seemed like the coolest bloke on earth. Movie is filled with classic scenes I will probably never forget. Don't miss this flick if you've already seen parts 1 and 2 and if you haven't you should watch all three. Splendid entertainment!

Spectacular Peckinpah ride!, 13 July 2004

If you have to choose between two excellent Steve McQueen movies, Peter Yates' "Bullitt" and Sam Peckinpah's "The Getaway" I recommend you should definitely go for this one. Not that I think there's something awfully wrong with good old "Bullitt". It's a terrific classic and I like it very much. But I love "The Getaway". I just happen to think that this is a damn great piece of entertainment with McQueen having the time of his life in a leading role. Very cool acting, very gripping story and extremely well-done action scenes that shows Peckinpah at his best. I understand that Roger "Dante's Peak" Donaldson directed a remake of "The Getaway" over 20 years later. I haven't seen it but it's hard to figure it could ever been even as half as good as this one. Watch this thriller masterpiece now.

Straw Dogs (1971)
You'll never forget it..., 12 July 2004

"Straw dogs" has to be one of the most pressuring films of the early 1970's. If this is not a horror movie I don't know what is. Actually it nearly reminds me of all those legendary zombie flicks like "Night of the living dead", only difference is that it's more horrifying because there really aren't any zombies now is there? The atmosphere of the movie is extremely nightmarish, the famous rape scene shocks every time and the blood splattering ending makes you almost want to scream. This creepy little violent masterpiece is certainly Sam Peckinpah's biggest classics and definitely a must-see for everyone who wants to learn more about his famous style. Young Dustin Hoffman shines in one of the most memorable performances of his career. When you've seen "Straw dogs" once you'll never forget it. Even though the film is only fiction, English countryside doesn't look like a very romantic place to visit after this.

Bronson's law, 7 July 2004

What can I say? "Murphy's law" is definitely one of the best Charles Bronson thrillers of 1980's, there's no doubt about that. "10 to midnight" and "Messenger of death" are also worth watching (just to name two) but this might just be even better than them. Even though I'm a huge fan of the bloke I know the movie is pretty basic and not very surprising but that's Bronson for you. It's still damn exciting, funny, fresh and filled with great action and am I the only one who thinks Kathleen Wilhoite turns out to be rather cute during the film? Bronson is cool and tough as always and why wouldn't he be, after all the bloke is only 65 years young. J. Lee Thompson directed Bronson several times and this is quite likely among his greatest efforts. Legendary cop flick for all Charlie freaks.

Not the highlight of Peckinpah's career, 6 July 2004

Steve McQueen is terrific as always but "Junior Bonner" is not exactly my choice for the best Sam Peckinpah movie of all times. I don't mind the fact that it hasn't got any violence even though that's what "bloody Sam" was famous from. I know many of the Peckinpah flicks are slightly slow-paced but in this case it's starting out to be a problem. Let's just say that the story isn't the most interesting you could find. Of course Peckinpah gets a chance to use his slow motion trademark in rodeo scenes but "The Wild bunch", "Straw dogs", "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" and "Cross of iron" are all better movies. Nevertheless, worth watching at least once.

Slightly disappointing, 28 June 2004

Most disappointing detail about "Blue in the face" is the regretful fact that it's a sequel to "Smoke" - one of the greatest movies of the mid 90's. I would instantly rate terrific "Smoke" 10 out of 10. I've seen it a million times and I never get tired of enjoying it again. I know "Blue in the face" is supposed to be a bunch of spontaneous conversations but most of the stuff (Lou Reed parts, for example) are just plain boring. Scenes with Jim Jarmusch and Michael J. Fox are totally worth watching. I loved Malik Yoba's wristwatch selling rapper too. If you liked "Smoke" you might want to check this out as well but be careful and don't expect anything special.

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]