correar

Last Love (2013)
A pleasant film with a few inconsistencies, 4 January 2014

it's an unpretentious fine film, which can be seen with pleasure.

Interpreters are beautiful and the dialogues are very pleasant.

As it is usual, authors have some difficult in finding an end for the movie, being possible a few of them. Probably due to this, the last half hour is a bit inconsistent: Pauline redirects her love from father to son a bit too quickly.

Also illogical is that people go from Paris to St. Malo and vice versa as if it was the next town in the map, or as if they had taken helicopters instead of driving or taking a taxi.

Michael Caine exhibits his 80 years splendidly. I am astonished seeing that he will act at least in three films this year.

A spectacular movie, but too long for my taste, 9 March 2003

A spectacular movie, with good actors and good interpretations. Too long for my taste. Then some flaws here and there: why is it that Bill The Butcher (Daniel Day-Lewis) keeps the same face after 16 years? The best for me is Cameron Diaz: I enjoyed seeing her very much. But why keep us in a theater so see a movie for 166 m., almost an entire afternoon? Too much indeed.

Without deepness or humor, Woody Allen is really boring, 4 January 2003

I used to enjoy all films by Woody Allen. Not anymore, surely. In the movies, the images are what really count, but his films have always a lot of talking, intense dialogues. To be interesting, those must have a meaning, deepness or humor. Here neither is present. At the end of the film, W. Allen gives his thanks to the cine goers of France for having loved his films. Will it be still the case with Hollywood Ending? In this wreck, there is a surprise called Téa Leoni, who deserves to appear more in the screen.

Polanski did his film (and a good film) about the Holocaust, 15 December 2002

A good film about the Holocaust. A bit long for my taste, and sometimes, very slow. But finally Polanski did his film (and a good film) about the Holocaust. A minus is that the film doesn't bring anything new about the theme, beyond the story of the main character. I'd like to see a film with the thesis and ideas of Daniel J. Goldhagen in his book `Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust'. It will arrive, one of these days...

A certain kind of Europe that we dream about for our children., 4 December 2002

A beautiful film. I enjoyed seeing young people speaking a lot of languages (in the film, everybody speaks Spanish, French or English all the time), and the multietnic ambiance of the student milieu. The scenario is right, the characters are logic and appealing and the actors are good. For instance, Judith Godrèche, in the role of Anne-Sophie, is really charming. The film shows also a lot of Barcelona, a beautiful town, with beaches at the end of streets. There is implicit in the film a suggestion for a certain kind of Europe, that we dream about for our children.

A beautiful movie, even if a bit "fairy tale", 3 August 2002

That's a beautiful movie… `in spite of ` the Dogma 95… The astonishment of the characters regarding the death impressed me very much.

On sex relations it's a bit `fairy tale', but I can forgive the director taking in account the good time I had seeing the film.

Good story, fine actresses but boring, 4 May 2002

The director had a good story, very fine actresses but in the end, made an interesting film, but mostly boring. It's absolutely humorless, and so lazy that you really become sleep. A good but unsuccessful try to make another kind of youth movie.

Iris (2001/I)
Nice film, but Iris Murdoch deserves better, 23 March 2002

It's a pity that the film was based only in John Bayley's books and not on a Iris Murdoch good biography - from Peter Conradi, for instance. There were many beautiful things to tell about her, that were left outside. Like this, it is a sad film, with the disease always present on the screen. I enjoyed the interpretations of Kate Winslet and Judy Dench and the quotes on the film from Murdoch books. However, there is some miscasting: Winslet looks younger than Bonneville, when Iris Murdoch (b. 1919) was older than John Bayley (b. 1925).

It is a film that can be seen, but Iris Murdoch would deserve a much better one.

A beautiful film, malgré le français, 11 March 2002

This time, a beautiful film coming from France, with some help from a marvelous italian beauty - Monica Belucci! I enjoyed it all the time even of I lost some of the jokes of French names. I recommend everybody to see it, but specially to the lovers of the Asterix comics. I can guarantee a lot of laughs. This way, it will not be too long to see.

Disappointing film, 1 August 1999

A promising but very disappointing film. More than a bad film it is a film "maladroit". Jane Birkin and Virginie Ledoyen are wonderful actresses but the Director treats them badly. The maid Dominique Blanc speaks Portuguese with an accent when it would be easy to find a portuguese for the role.

There are beautiful images of Paris and America but they are not enough to save the film.