RNMorton

Page 2 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Never say never, 4 February 2017

I loved the Bond films of the 60s, particularly You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are Forever (the last two for Sean on his first run). I think Connery is the one and only Bond, he made the role his own even if Fleming had something a little different in mind. But looking back the really early Bonds were a little slow to develop and don't age so well. And the Moore Bonds are not watchable for me at this point. Which is why this may now be my favorite Bond movie. Sean is back, self-assured as always, this time there is a lot going on and many scenic locales to visit. Basinger is a solid Bond girl, Carrera is made for the femme fatale role, Brandauer is a little weak but somewhat effective in a delicate sort of way. The basic plot has been done a million times before but it's great to see Connery one more time in his most famous role.

Teenagers!, 3 February 2017

This is a nice little gem I just discovered on cable. It features Griffin Dunne, the hapless (and ever-present) victim from American Werewolf in London. He's an out of luck professor struggling to get by and see his 6,000 page epic on Lewis and Clark's expedition published by someone. Divorced, he plans to take his two teenage kids to the Pacific when family troubles interfere. This is fun slice-of-life, Dunne maintains (usually) his composure among all the troubles he faces, including flak from his teenage daughter (marvelously played by Martin) and distracted teenage son. Into the mix steps Cara Buono, of Beer League, to ease his pain. I'll watch Cara in almost anything and she is great in this. Stuart Margolin (Angel from The Rockford files) plays Dunne's dysfunctional dad. The highlight is the kids' forced march on a "discovery trek", but the movie as a whole works well with a nice wrap.

Another light romantic comedy, 1 February 2017

Reynolds is a political consultant, the set up to this is that he is in the process of being divorced and he tells his daughter a story. In the story he is involved, to some degree or other, with three different girls. He changes the names of the girls so his daughter can't tell and then runs her through his love life over several years. Daughter has to guess which one he ended up with (along with us in the audience). The premise is kind of cute if a tad implausible (you would think daughter would be able to pick out her mom from the facts), but as it is this is more light comedy than drama and the wrap up is satisfying, if again a tad implausible. I'm usually there for Rachel Weisz but she didn't do too much for me in this one, while Isla Fisher did just fine.

Light romantic comedy, 1 February 2017

I should say a Very Light Romantic comedy, this is pretty much a kids picture that some adults might enjoy. Guttenberg is getting some down time in the tropics from his musical career, Quinlan is there on her marine work, they flirt with each other as dog Zeus plays with Quinlan's dolphin subject Roxanne. I'll watch Quinlan in any light comedy, I think she's just great, and with a nice tan she's even more gorgeous. Guttenberg plays his role well also but of course the real stars are the animals which steal the show as it were. The bad guy is just a little too bad for me (but might amuse the kids), for which this gets docked some but the scenery is wonderful and I can think of a lot worse ways to spend time than watching this.

Ersatz Casablanca, 28 January 2017

I have always been a Casablanca fan and considered it my top movie, for some crazy reason I never really gave this a serious look until this week. Bogie is a boat captain in Vichy Martinique who gets caught between the Nazis and Free French wanting to get onto the island. Just the idea of Nazis legitimately in the Caribbean during WWII is something to work with. Into the mix steps Bacall, looking and acting more than her 19 years. And there's the Walter Brennan lovable drunk character (which I found annoying), Bogie employs him and is particularly attached to him. There's a lot in this reminiscent of Casablanca, including the casino manager, here as hotel operator ("ah, a few thousand less than I expected...."), but the mood is lighter than in Casablanca. Some of the story is a little bit much, but over all this the interplay between Bogie and Bacall is absolutely sexy, fresh and enchanting. The back and forth can look very staged when the feeling isn't really there, but the chemistry between the stars on this one is as good as it gets. Particularly amusing is the way Bogie grudgingly appreciates and even encourages the scoundrel side of Bacall, while wondering if she's working that side on him too. So to sum up, intriguing location, average plot but great leads, it's worth watching just for them.

Honestly, could it be more cheesy?, 26 January 2017

That being said, with a couple of slip-aways I watched the whole damn thing when it was on TMC last night. I was just in the mood. Suzanne Pleshette takes off for a new start in Italy, runs into pretty boy Troy Donahue who is disengaging from psycho girlfriend Dickinson, romantic entanglements ensue. There are some great, really great scenic shots of Italy in the mid portion of this film where Pleshette and Donahue meander around, which works very well if a little goofy. There is also a vignette involving trumpeter Al Hirt that was cute (if also a little goofy). I don't recall watching Troy's film portfolio, but if there is a character that acts like a bigger stiff than Troy in this movie I haven't seen it. Honestly. Suzanne has an engaging personality and borderline romantic star looks, leading the viewer to ask themselves why a winner like her would waste time agonizing over a blockhead like Troy. In real life they married briefly after the filming of this movie. Very dated by the times but still modestly engaging in its own strange way.

I hate spiders, 21 January 2017

Which might be just right if I were signing up for this inter-galactic war, because the bad guys are some of the meanest arachnids you've ever seen. The fun part of this movie is that while on the surface it is anti-alien, it is also a campy commentary on the sort of idiot blockheads who get turned on by war. So there are a few twists to this that make it a little hard to tell where the makers were really going, just the same it is rewatchable and features a number of fine performances by the young leads as well as some fun turns by Ironside and Brown. And while I'm at it I'll add this last line just to make it to ten.

Passengers (2016/I)
Very very nice, 1 January 2017

I'm not going to say anything you wouldn't know from the trailer. Lawrence and Pratt, both attractive leads, are unexpectedly awake on an interstellar colony ship where all passengers and crew are supposed to be in hibernation. And it's good they're around, because Houston there's some problems. What I like best is the beautiful scenes of space and the pacing of this movie, it takes its time letting you appreciate the strange surroundings including a wonderful Sheen as Arthur the bartender. My wife says this is combination sci-fi and chick flick, and who am I to disagree with her? That's all I care to say about this at the moment except I like the wrap up. Enjoy.

The best of its kind ever, 26 December 2016

The right show with the right hosts and the right ideas at the right time. So for everyone who ever said, gee I wonder if it's true that you could (fill in the blank), Hyneman and Savage came along to help out. The general format was excellent, on many levels - the bar room-type discussion and research, the preliminary explorations and commentary by the stars along the way, the excellent if under-appreciated narration by Lee, all the way to the full scale resolution. Occasionally the pacing was off, so that you got to the finale without a lot of time to fully appreciate the event but whatever. Hyneman and Savage are effective if somewhat different personalities with some fun interplay, in retrospect the inclusion of B Team members Imahara, Belleci and a very attractive Byron probably extended the life of the series for several years and gave a needed break from the two leads. All the work on this was so professionally done, the biggest issue was coming up with enough myths to explore. Sometimes the cupboard seemed a little bare (a postage stamp on a helicopter wing causing an accident, c'mon). But one of the best science shows ever and tops for background television watching.

Deja Vu (2006)
Denzel in distress, 21 December 2016

This is good stuff even if you're not a big sci-fi fan. Crazed patriot blows up New Orleans ferry killing hundreds of people. Denzel is a federal officer investigating the explosion. In the process he identifies Patton as being intimately, if unwittingly, a piece of the crime puzzle. A little further along he stumbles upon Goldberg and his crew, who seem magically able to watch events happening four days in the past. Add some sci-fi spice and garnish and Denzel is trying to rewrite history. Patton is enchanting as the unwitting victim and Denzel is on his A game in a role made for him, as is Goldberg. I dare say this is as good as any Denzel movie out there. Lot's of good excitement with a satisfying if very unexpected wrap.

Page 2 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]