FlRELlGHT

Just a Bond film, no more, no less, 30 November 2002

Hey! Ever see one of those James Bond movies? Well this one is no different. Everything you have come to expect from a Bond film is in here...far-fetched action, beautiful women, crazy villains. If you like Bond I'm sure you'll enjoy this...it was better than the last one which was awful. But to me, Bond has become plain boring. 5/10

Pumpkin (2002)
God bless Christina Ricci, 30 November 2002

She's one of the best young actresses, always searching for projects she's interested in and not stuff designed to make her a star. Pumpkin is one of the most unusual films around...similar to "Heathers" in many ways....but still remains its own movie. Christina Ricci is fabulous in the role of a sorority girl who finds her humanity after falling in love with a mentally challenged boy. It's part satire, part black comedy, part romance...and it has received criticism for this. But I admire a film that explores different genres...and when they are as entertaining as Pumpkin that makes it all worthwhile.

Dark Spielberg, 22 June 2002

Steven Spielberg continues to channel the late Stanley Kubrick in his latest film, "Minority Report." He also throws in a little Terry Gilliam, Ridley Scott and Paul Verhoeven along with some Hitchcock and John Huston and the soul of Philip K. Dick to create something utterly unique. Minority Report dazzles with it's visuals, great action scenes, urgent story-line, and topical issues. To say any more would give too much away. This is unlike any Spielberg film to date. Not to be missed.

Dark Spielberg, 22 June 2002

A worthy Star Wars movie., 17 May 2002

Excuse for a minute the sometimes laugh-out dialogue. Excuse for one-second the convoluted plot. With great pleasure I must report that "Attack of the Clones" for the most part captures the spirit of the original trilogy, while creating a new feeling for the new ones. Listen, Star Wars has always had comic book dialogue, this one is no different. The love story is a little weak, but it is a small part of this movie. For Star Wars fans, the thrill of seeing the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, the creation of the Clone-troopers, and the breathtaking action is enough to make everyone forget the dissapointing Episode 1. And there is one scene that everyone should go in knowing absolutely nothing about, but alas, most reviewers seem compelled to spill the beans on what is one of the most thrilling sequences in Star Wars history. I knew of this scene before going in, and wished I hadn't. Spoiler free for Episode 3 is my motto now. So Star Wars fans, our series is alive and well and 3 years from now it all comes to and end. Episode 2 is a great set-up for the final chapter, and last piece to the legendary Star Wars saga.

Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man the movie? Average., 7 May 2002

This is not the best comic book movie ever. That honor still belongs to the first Superman. I enjoyed the Peter Parker scenes, but felt let down by the action, and Danny Elfman's terrible score. I didn't hate the film, there were moments that were quite good. Like when Peter is first discovering his Spidey abilities. But it didn't have that same mythic quality that the first Superman had. The actors did there best with the script. J.J Jameson was real good, but the story felt pedestrian. The rivalry between the Goblin and Spider-Man wasn't developed enough. I give the film a 7 because it was better than most of the summer blockbusters last year. (Planet of the Apes anyone?) But it was missing certain qualities that would have elevated it to classic status. Go see it and decide for yourself though.

Save us George A. Romero!!!, 27 March 2002

I had heard good things about this movie. That it was a video game movie that worked, that it was actually scary. It is with great disappointment, then, that I must report that Resident Evil was none of those things. There are so many problems with this film. The main one being that all the characters and performances are excruciatingly one-note. The worst of the bunch is Michelle Rodriguez who never strays from that horrible scowl she has on her face the entire film. Milla Jovovich, while nice to look at, gives a dull and lifeless performance. The rest of the cast is simply forgettable. This movie ends with a set-up for a sequel which LOOKS to be more promising than this one, but if Paul Anderson is in charge forget it. This doesn't measure up in any aspect to the classic George A. Romero zombie trilogy. This movie takes the genre that Romero practically invented, (and which the video games admirably payed homage too) and destroys it. Please Mr. Romero make a new zombie film to erase the awful memory of this sorry excuse for a movie about the walking dead! Either that or I'll just have to watch Dawn of the Dead again and again and again and again.....

Björk: Volumen (1999) (V)
Bjorkoriffic!!!, 17 March 2002

Musical genius and innovator Bjork has always been at the fore-front of the music video art form, and Volumen is an excellent showcase of her groundbreaking videos. Bjork always chooses the most interesting people to work with, and her videos are no different. The most notable in this collection being Spike Jonze who directed her most famous video, "It's Oh So Quiet," which was reportedly the inspiration for Bjork's feature film "Dancer in the Dark". Spike Jonze is probably the best music video director of all time and "It's Oh So Quiet" ranks with his best. But every other video in "Volumen" is also fantastic. From the black and white kookines of "Big Time Sensuality" to the lush computer generated landscapes of "Joga" to the eerie "Hunter" where Bjork morphs into a bear...the inventiveness of Bjork's videos never stops. Any Bjork fan, even fans of film, should own this collection!

The Cult of Video., 17 March 2002

I recently purchased the new limited edition Evil Dead DVD and was struck by how little I new of the evolution of the popularity of this great little horror film. Contained in the DVD is a documentary focusing on the 2 guys who distributed the film, and to my surprise I discovered that they released Evil Dead simultaneously in theaters and on video. Evil Dead soon became one of the top selling videos of that year and it's cult status grew and grew. It can be said that Evil Dead began the video revolution whereby films gain popularity on video. It was soon discovered that releasing a movie theatrically was not the only way to get your film seen. Evil Dead established itself as one of the very first video cult movies.

BJOOOOOORRRRRKKKK!!!!!!!!!, 20 February 2002

There is only one reason to see this movie, based on a Brothers Grimm tale, to see a young, beautiful Bjork in her first movie. It's Icelandic, it's somber, and it has Bjork. If you're like me and can't get enough of the Icelandic musical genius this is an important movie to see. Movie itself gets a 5, but with Bjork it gets a 10!