roman-15

A film seen in my teens, many years ago..., 24 April 2013

I saw this film in a cinema, in the early sixties. It impacted me a lot because of the plot and the atmosphere. Truly loved it at the time and saw it at least three times.

Why? It's a story about teens and love. And naturally, being a teen at the time, it struck a strong cord. Since I wrote an essay at the time, I will have to dig it up, look at it around 50 years later and see if what I wrote at the time is still applicable.

I remember many scenes, the beautiful Catherine Spaak and also remember that this was one of my favorite films of the sixties.

So if you like sixties film that take place among enchanted islands on the Italian coast, you'll like: La Calda Vita...

Moliére a l'Ie de Ré... (spoiler alert), 24 April 2013

I saw this film last night on a flight from Paris to Santiago. And even though the screen was tiny, the beauty of the film simply shone from the screen.

Wonderful and witty dialogs, beautiful undercurrents in what's happening and a scene (spoiler alert) with the lead actor and an outdoor horse- watering trough converted into a jacuzzi that's hilarious and has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

As the film progresses, so does its complexity and we see that characters that seem marginal to the film tend to become vital to the plot.

One of the most beautiful sequences is a cycling scene, that not only alludes to the title, but also to that wonderful film: "Jules et Jim" by Francois Truffaut. And the allusion is not only in relation to the specific scene, but also to the plot of Jules et Jim.

I'm only giving it a nine because it's very difficult to properly judge a film on a teeny screen 11.000 meters above the Atlantic...

Nice entertainment, but not a great film..., 15 May 2012

I recently saw this film on an airplane. The small screen is not the best environment to see a film, however I *did* enjoy the film.

The best part is the atmosphere that builds up on this somewhat arcane subject (birding). The acting's good, but not great.

Even though he's quite *unlikable*, probably Owen Wilson's character is the best one in the film. While his life falls around him, he slogs on to *keep* his title of World's Best Birder.

This somewhat arcane distinction is probably of great value to him because in "real life" he's not very satisfied with his accomplishments...

Other characters are OK and the locations are very good...

So if you're in a situation where entertainment is seeked, you will probably enjoy the film...

Paris of Dreams and Reality..., 18 November 2011

I'm a great fan of Woody Allen. That being said, I recognize that his filmmaking is irregular. Some films are very satisfying, will others seem like simple cinematic exercises ("Small Time Crooks", has a scene almost literally copied from an early 1960's movie with Marcello Mastroianni).

If for some people Allen seems a bit too bland, movies like "Match Point" show that he has a surprising and almost nasty streak.

I first started reading of this film while it was still in the final phases of production. Then was very surprised by the great reception it had in this years Cannes film festival. So I really, really wanted to see it: on the one hand, I love Paris, and also (mostly) love Allen's films, so it seemed promising.

My first screening was on a flight from Madrid to Santiago a couple of months ago. Even on the tiny plane screen, I loved the atmosphere, Owen Wilson's acting and the whole premise of the film.

As soon as I got home, we went with my wife and *really* enjoyed the film on the widescreen.

Why?

Because this film is mostly about an atmosphere and feelings. The idea of perfection, the idea of the artist and the reality that perfection can't truly be achieved...

And Paris is that: a city of ideas, atmosphere and feelings. A city that has been a Mecca for artists for over 200 years. A city to walk around in and discover the most amazing places (and people).

For Woody Allen, a complete New Yorker, the idea of Paris (and Europe) is certainly that: an ideal.

That being said, the acting's great. Minor members of the cast really stand out (the detective with the distinctly "Bogart", film noir air) and the major members shine.

It's great to see Owen Wilson in the role of Allen's alter-ego. Very vulnerable.

And the actor's that portray the artist in the 20's and 30's are incredible: Luis Buñuel, Salvador Dalí, Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein and so many others...

So if you're a fan of Woody Allen, and of Paris, don't miss this film.

And if you're *not* a Woody Allen fan, also try to see it, because it'll show you aspects of humanity that shouldn't be filmed.

I guess the only people who shouldn't see the movie are those that actively dislike *both* Woody Allen *and* Paris.

And certainly there aren't many of those...

Alatriste (2006)
A great series of books that disappoints as a movie, 8 March 2007

Since I read the original "Alatriste" novels by Pérez Reverté, I had very high expectations from the movie. So the last time I was in Spain, I bought the DVD and have watched over twice.

From the positive side, the movie is lavishly filmed and very well acted. So some moments are real fun.

But I'm afraid the negative outweighs the positive. The big mistake of the director is to try to compress a saga that spans 5 books in about 140 minutes of film. And these are books rich with plot, incidents and intrigue. So the final result is, to say the least, confusing.

Only someone who has read the whole "Alatriste" books can have an idea of what's going on. Everybody else must be quite clueless.

And it's a shame, since the movie is very well filmed and acted.

For example, the character of "Quevedo" is quite important in the books (and plots) and is merely incidental here. "Malatesta" is quite more sinister in the books and in the film he never whistles!! (a landmark characteristic of this sinister swordsman).

I feel that the Director felt he could never get the resources to properly film the saga, so he simply made a distillation of the books. But instead of concentrating the spirits, he merely made a mash that loses much of the original flavour.

That said, I can still appreciate the fine filming and many great moments in the film...

Very Boring. Only high spot is Angelina Jolie, 4 December 2005

I'm glad I saw this movie on a plane flying between south America and Europe. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid either the ticket or rented this *very* bad movie.

Story line is close to nil. It seems taken out of a cartoon and I certainly feel two good actors (Pitt and Jolie) were wasted.

On the positive side, there are a few neat scenes. I liked the one when Angelina and her girls escape from Brad Pitt.

Sometimes a movie succeeds with a suspension of disbelief, I'm sory to say this is not the case...

But finally it's just a film to pass away the time until you fall asleep on a plane. Because on a plane, you simply can not walk away and rent another movie!

Excellent movie, albeit a bit slow, 30 November 2005

Raúl (or Raoul) Ruiz is a very prolific cinematographer that's not very well known in Chile. "Dias de Campo" was made in 2004 an has only now been shown in our theater circuit.

This film is truly excellent. There's a constant interplay about time and reality that may get a bit bewildering, but is albeit fascinating.

One of the things that really got me was that Raul Ruiz really understands the customs and traditions of our country life: quite tranquil on the surface, but with very deep undertows.

So, I really loved this film and want to see it again, to understand it on deeper levels.

The only *spoiler* is that sometime the rhythm gets *very* slow sometimes. I know this is probably deliberate, but for the average moviegoer (even the well informed moviegoer) it might be a turnoff.

So a truly magnificent film, but not for the average moviegoer...

Pipe Dream (2002)
Nice romantic Comedy..., 8 February 2005

We caught "Pipe Dream" on the Cable last night. I must say it was entertaining, well written and extremely well acted.

The funny part is that the whole movie *also* has an "indie" aura that's supposed to be in the film thats being filmed.

Very good acting. The only actor that doesn't really "fit" is the plumber. He has a cultural level WAY above I would guess 95% of NY Plumbers. But besides that, all the rest is very good.

Even though it's not a *great* movie, it surely is way above 70% of what's being made today.

I would expect more fine screenplays from the same author...

Nice and entertaining...

Fantasia with an European twist..., 15 June 2004

I first saw Allegro non Troppo around 1985 in a VHS copy. I truly loved the film, since it was so different from standard Disney fare. Even the B&W interludes seemed wacky and added to the overall viewing pleasure.

Specially great clips were the Sibelius Valse Triste and the Firebird Suite.

Well, I recently bought the DVD version from this movie (after joining a list in Amazon, so they would edit a DVD version of the film) and I must say that this version is GREAT. Not only is the original film complete and in an excellent version, but there's also 10 additional Bruno Bozzetto shorts plus a documentary about him and his filmmaking.

So I really got a wonderful deal and would truly reccommend this DVD to all animation fans.

9/10!

Felliniesque, 5 August 2003

This is the second Spike Jonze movie I've seen (the first being, naturally: "Being John Malkovich"). A really wonderful and Felliniesque Movie.

In Being John Malkovich the "gate" to Malkovich's head was in the 7 1/2 floor of an office building. A coincidence? Or a deliberate nod to "8 1/2", I tend to think of the latter. Now THIS movie has a much closer relation to Fellini's 8 1/2. In fact, Fellini's movie spends most of the time on a Director not being able to start a movie. In this case It's a screenwriter not being able to adapt a book about flowers to a movie.

But Charlie Kauffmann has a TRULY split personality. So split in fact, that he's actually twins. Nicolas Cage does a wonderful job in both roles.

What's really hilarious (and many viewers haven't got the joke) is that when Charlie Kaufmann 1 takes the screenwriting classes, the whole tone of the film slides from cinematic purity to weekend popcorn muncher. That was really wicked.

A fantastic film. A 9/10. Perhaps even a 9 1/2!