paulb-8

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Movie: A- DVD: C, 12 July 2000

The Hunt for Red October A-/C 7.12.00 2.35:1/5.1 Previously Viewed Non-anamorphic Transfer

I probably never had as much fun at the movies as I did the first time I saw this on the big screen. This was one of the first DVDs and deserves to be redone. The non-anamorphic transfer does not look good and the sound could even be a little better. I would love to hear Clancy and director John McTiernan do a commentary track, discussing ideas, how things were created and where there are differences between the movie and book.

Movie: B- DVD: B+, 12 July 2000

An Ideal Husband B-/B+ 7.10.00 1.85:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

Based on an Oscar Wilde play, this witty piece stars Cate Blanchett, Minnie Driver, Julianne Moore and Rupert Everett. So why hadn't you heard of it? Because its overly simplistic and has a highly predictable ending. The filming and subsequent video transfer are superb however and sound is adequate. The DVD includes a production featurette.

DVD: A DVD: D, 11 July 2000

Driving Miss Daisy A/D 7.7.00 1.33:1/5.1 Previously Viewed Non-Anamorphic Transfer Best Picture

This is one of my favorite pictures and it gets better every time I watch it. It definitely deserves better from DVD though. Its original aspect ratio was 1.85:1, and while I don't know it for fact, I believe the full screen version on this disc is really an unmasked transfer, meaning what you see at the top and bottom was not meant to be shown in the theater. I watched this on my 16:9 set and blew it up to fill the screen. Not once did I observe a chopped off head or a frame that didn't look right. Unfortunately, picture quality was poor, especially for such a beautiful movie. Hopefully someone will transfer this Oscar winner properly in the correct aspect ratio and enhance it for the big screen.

Movie: B DVD: A-, 7 July 2000

Chasing Amy B/A- 7.2.00 1.85:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

A very interesting look at relationships and generation X. It borders on being too vulgar (as the generation often is) and for many it will be too vulgar. The movie itself is definitely a lower budget production, but the DVD is first class. Tons of extras including deleted scenes and commentary.

Movie: B+ DVD: B+, 2 July 2000

Drop Dead Gorgeous B+/B+ 7.1.00 1.85:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

This movie is hilarious! Much better than the canned comedies that normally come out of Hollywood. Kirstie Alley isn't too impressive, but everyone else does a great job. The DVD looks and sounds good, although there aren't any real extras.

Movie: B DVD: B+, 1 July 2000

Sweet and Lowdown B/B+ 6.26.00 1.85:1/2.0 mono First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced Somebody finally convinced Woody Allen to release a DVD in the anamorphic format and it was worth it. The picture looks great. It's still in mono sound, but that works here because the film is about a jazz guitarist in the early 30's, who would have recorded in mono sound anyway. It sounds good! The comedy is somewhat simple, but Sean Penn does a nice job with his interesting character.

Movie: B DVD: A+, 25 June 2000

The World Is Not Enough B/A 6.19.00 2.35:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

Has there ever been a better movie title? For a popcorn movie, this is not bad. Much better than …Never Dies. One great thing about Bond movies is that the DVDs are reference quality in all respects. Great sound and video, incredible use of the 5.1 system and lots of extras.

Movie: B+ DVD: A-, 18 June 2000

Snow Falling on Cedars B+/A- 6.12.00 2.35:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. The movie flows much like a book, meandering from was thought to another, but it works. If your looking for action adventure or even the fast pace of most recent movies, this isn't for you. But if you want to be absorbed into the world of the characters in a film, try this one. The DVD includes plenty of extras and is well produced.

Movie: B+ DVD: A-, 9 June 2000

Man on the Moon B+/A- 6.6.00 2.35:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

The entertaining story of Andy Kaufman. Jim Carrey certainly deserved to be recognized for his stellar performance here. In real life, people tired quickly of Kaufman's obsession with wrestling women. Likewise, the movie drags in its middle as this period of his life is covered. A good making of…. video is included and the picture looks great.

Movie: C DVD B, 28 May 2000

End of Days C/B 5.25.00 2.35:1/5.1 First Viewing 16:9 Enhanced

A decent idea for a film, but not well executed. The film makers spent an incredible amount of time (and money) creating special effects but as is often the case, left gapping holes in the plot. The 5.1 mix sounds incredible, but I was bothered my how dark most of the scenes were and how little detail was available in those scenes. The disc contains a lot of info on how the special effect scenes were created.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]