Geff

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Dunkirk (2017)
One of the most dishonestly over-rated films of all time. 1 of 10., 28 July 2017

Yes, awful. How can anyone honestly give this film a positive recommendation? It is so amateurish. Whoever wrote the screenplay forgot the story. What story is it! It's not about Dunkirk, the famous WWII evacuation of British troops from France. What about the French troops? The British commander says to hell with them. Two cowards are the focus of the story. They will do anything to get out ahead of everyone else who are patiently waiting, keeping order, and waiting their turn. One other is picked up by a civilian boat on its way to rescue troops at Dunkirk, and he fights the crew to not go back. He kills one of them. Great story? I figure they used 5 planes to make the entire film: three RAF fighters, one German fighter, and one German bomber, all classic planes. Why I say this is b/c they only show three RAF fighters in one scene, and then it's always a one-on-one with all the other scenes. The special effects are from the 1950's. I think they did a better job in Wings, 1927. Also, it's hard to figure out what they are saying. I missed half the dialogue, but I didn't miss much b/c it's so worthless a film. It's aimless, boring, pathetic, and cheap. There is nothing epic about this film. It's a sad joke. What a waste of my money. It's one of the most over-rated films of all time.

King Kong 2.0 "It was beauty killed the beast.", 23 March 2017

Kong: Skull Island. It's an adventure and exciting. It's also stupid and moronic. Samuel L. Jackson plays himself in his own special dense way. His character is oblivious to common sense and logic. John C. Reilly is there for comic relief, I think. A slimmed-down John Goodman is the scientist/explorer who is leading the team to explore Skull Island, just off the coast of Vietnam, 1973. The atom bomb tests weren't what we thought. One was to kill something. That's how stupid this can get. However, it is a real adventure if you dumb-yourself-down to 5 years old and just enjoy it. Great scenery, special effects, cinematography, and the giant ape is appropriate. This film makes up for the first King Kong in 1933 that broke my heart at the end when Carl Denham says, "Oh no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast." I always hated that ending. This film's ending is better. So it's up to you, but I can say I was entertained.

One of the best of the WWII film genre. Amazing., 17 November 2016

Hacksaw Ridge: I just saw it and had to write. I left the theatre in a deeply moved state. The film about America's only CO to win The Medal of Honor for heroism in combat is stunning in its realism and depiction of the horrors of the South Pacific Campaign in WWII. The story is true, and at the end of the film the real main character addresses some of the film's content. The special effects are incredible to behold, and the thunderous roar of the battleships' big guns is only topped by the barrage of huge explosions on Hacksaw Ridge. I was additionally attached to the film's content b/c my own father fought in three similar battles in the South Pacific in WWII. He never spoke of it. I only found out after his death in 2010 that he was awarded six medals during WWII and fought and survived three of the most savage battles in the war against Japan: Anguar Island, Peleliu, and Luzon. The film brings it all to you , and I realized that this is what my quiet, peaceful, unassuming father had kept to himself all my life. It is a film that you will never forget; congrats to Mel Gibson on another directorial success. It's a must-see.

Astonishingly good film in all ways, 20 December 2015

In the Heart of the Sea (2015) is an excellent film. It's movie-making at it's best, and no one hits you over the head with any kind of political propaganda, like "Save the whales." It's there, but it's just reality and part of a superb tale of how Herman Melville got the idea for his classic American novel, Moby Dick. All parts are acted perfectly, and the casting is professional, too. The filming of the storm scenes and the whale hunts are gripping. The appearance of the great white whale puts Godzilla to shame. I loved every minute of this film, and there was not an instant of regret for seeing it with my free ticket. See it on the big screen before it leaves the movie theaters. I didn't need 3D, so if you choose that option, it may be good to check comments on IMDb.com to see if there are 3D comments. Some films are phony 3D, if you know what I mean.

Jurassic World (2015), 24 June 2015

Firstly, the most important thing to me is that overall I was entertained. That doesn't mean that there were several things in and during the film that annoyed me. I had no idea where the twin Blutosaurus came from. The total disregard for the safety of the thousands and thousands of tourists on the island was totally sick. The casting all around was either wrong or could have been much better. Where have you gone Marion Dougherty? There are parts of the film that are "dead air" and should have ended up on the cutting-room floor. The ego-centric, ditsy, almost-stupid and incompetent park manager was a major annoyance. The hierarchy of the park is always in doubt as to who is really in charge. The toothasaurus was definitely in charge. The warning system was by phone: Hello. "Houston, we have a problem." Godzilla has escaped. And that brings up the idea I had that this would have been a perfect film for Godzilla to re-emerge. There were too many instances of humans outrunning sprinting 60mph dinosaurs. The macho-man hero, who really did nothing, accomplished nothing, and ended up subservient to the ditsy, irresponsible aunt-in-charge, was cast perfectly; too bad he did nothing. With all its shortcomings, it is still an entertaining film. With a better cast, a better script, a better super-monster, it could have been a real contender for eternal greatness (but it's not). One last note: I loved the (flying) Teradactyls! Again, I was genuinely entertained for the most part and the time flew by.

The Insider and a great performance by Bruce McGill, 1 April 2015

The Insider is one of the best films of all time. Great performances by all, including a gripping performance in a courtroom scene by Bruce McGill. When I think of The Insider, and Al Pacino and Russell Crowe and Christopher Plummer and all the other great performances, I think of that courtroom scene and McGill (D-Day). He should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor award for that one scene. Check it out. The Insider is definitely one of the best thrillers of all time, and based on the true story of the legal case against the tobacco companies. After seeing this film, you'll know why you could never quit smoking. Only Russell Crowe, the insider, knows why.

Best Film I've seen this year. Best Film in a long time., 10 February 2015

I just saw The Imitation Game, and it is a film experience to remember. The film is based on the British WWII team that broke the German "Enigma" code. It is mainly about one brilliant man who led the team, Turing. The cast is superb and includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode, Mark Strong, and Allen Leech. All are perfectly cast and perform flawlessly. The cinematography, costumes, and screenplay are all excellent. The settings move from the "present" in 1953 back to 1928 and then 1941, back and forth continuously, woven together perfectly. If you want to see a fascinating thriller where the future of the world is really at stake, this one will not disappoint you. I think it's one of the best British films to come along in a long time.

When you're a vigilante, it's tough to stay retired, I guess., 30 September 2014

The Equalizer stars Denzel Washington as a man who tries to leave his past behind by faking his own death, but life catches up with him. He witnesses a young, beautiful girl brutalized and enslaved by ultra-violent Russian gangsters and decides that he has to come out of retirement. He uses his black-ops skills to kill everyone in his path, despite his promise to his now dead wife to be good. When you're a vigilante, it's tough to stay retired, I guess. On a scale of 1 to 10 as an action movie, it's a 10. He can kill faster than a vampire, and he times himself to see how fast he is. It is a fantasy vigilante film, and he gets revenge in super-super-human style. You must suspend disbelief to enjoy it fully. Good film of its genre. The audience got into it and were cheering in good humor.

One of the worst and sadly funny films of all time, 28 July 2014

I thought it was awful when I first saw it almost 60 years ago, and I just saw it again yesterday and it is as awful now as it was then. It is a preposterous and psychotic look at teenagers, and it's also a teen exploitation film of the 50's. I think THE BLOB had more meaning. Jim Backus in that kitchen apron was a hoot. He was the Father Knows Best about nothing character, totally hapless. It was the beginning of the destruction of the male/father image in TV and film in America. We had Archie Bunker and Al Bundy and many other impotent and stupid fathers to follow. The film is a bust; the acting is so bad. Sal Mineo is almost salivating over James Dean, and James Dean is really the psycho here. In today's world, he'd be locked up in a mental institution for what he says and does and how he acts. And by the way, he has just got to turn himself into the police. What a dolt. The leader of the pack says to Jimbo before they race, "I like you." Oh, Please!!! Poor Natalie Wood. I don't think she knew what to do or who to be. No direction. These characters are just so dumb, that you have to think if it was the screen writer who was dumb, or did he make the kids out to be so dumb on purpose. Lastly, I loved the address book. That whole plot line was so flawed. so there.

Gravity (2013)
There is no Gravity...the movie sucks, 9 October 2013

I am astounded that this film got such high ratings. Special effects alone don't make a good film. There is nothing original or clever or intelligent or uplifting about this waste of time. I wanted to scream; it was sooooo boring. OMG, 90 minutes of Sandra Bullock acting like an ass. Where are the Great Wallendas when you need them? The plot is preposterous and laughable. The story is boring and totally unbelievable. Go see Phone Booth for a good picture with a single setting. This film is a joke, or should I say that the reviews are a joke. Don't waste your money on this one. A film needs more than special effects to be a good experience. I was sooooo bored!!!! I wanted a crocodile to show up at the end and devour her.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]