Geff

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Jurassic World (2015), 24 June 2015

Firstly, the most important thing to me is that overall I was entertained. That doesn't mean that there were several things in and during the film that annoyed me. I had no idea where the twin Blutosaurus came from. The total disregard for the safety of the thousands and thousands of tourists on the island was totally sick. The casting all around was either wrong or could have been much better. Where have you gone Marion Dougherty? There are parts of the film that are "dead air" and should have ended up on the cutting-room floor. The ego-centric, ditsy, almost-stupid and incompetent park manager was a major annoyance. The hierarchy of the park is always in doubt as to who is really in charge. The toothasaurus was definitely in charge. The warning system was by phone: Hello. "Houston, we have a problem." Godzilla has escaped. And that brings up the idea I had that this would have been a perfect film for Godzilla to re-emerge. There were too many instances of humans outrunning sprinting 60mph dinosaurs. The macho-man hero, who really did nothing, accomplished nothing, and ended up subservient to the ditsy, irresponsible aunt-in-charge, was cast perfectly; too bad he did nothing. With all its shortcomings, it is still an entertaining film. With a better cast, a better script, a better super-monster, it could have been a real contender for eternal greatness (but it's not). One last note: I loved the (flying) Teradactyls! Again, I was genuinely entertained for the most part and the time flew by.

The Insider and a great performance by Bruce McGill, 1 April 2015

The Insider is one of the best films of all time. Great performances by all, including a gripping performance in a courtroom scene by Bruce McGill. When I think of The Insider, and Al Pacino and Russell Crowe and Christopher Plummer and all the other great performances, I think of that courtroom scene and McGill (D-Day). He should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor award for that one scene. Check it out. The Insider is definitely one of the best thrillers of all time, and based on the true story of the legal case against the tobacco companies. After seeing this film, you'll know why you could never quit smoking. Only Russell Crowe, the insider, knows why.

Best Film I've seen this year. Best Film in a long time., 10 February 2015

I just saw The Imitation Game, and it is a film experience to remember. The film is based on the British WWII team that broke the German "Enigma" code. It is mainly about one brilliant man who led the team, Turing. The cast is superb and includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode, Mark Strong, and Allen Leech. All are perfectly cast and perform flawlessly. The cinematography, costumes, and screenplay are all excellent. The settings move from the "present" in 1953 back to 1928 and then 1941, back and forth continuously, woven together perfectly. If you want to see a fascinating thriller where the future of the world is really at stake, this one will not disappoint you. I think it's one of the best British films to come along in a long time.

When you're a vigilante, it's tough to stay retired, I guess., 30 September 2014

The Equalizer stars Denzel Washington as a man who tries to leave his past behind by faking his own death, but life catches up with him. He witnesses a young, beautiful girl brutalized and enslaved by ultra-violent Russian gangsters and decides that he has to come out of retirement. He uses his black-ops skills to kill everyone in his path, despite his promise to his now dead wife to be good. When you're a vigilante, it's tough to stay retired, I guess. On a scale of 1 to 10 as an action movie, it's a 10. He can kill faster than a vampire, and he times himself to see how fast he is. It is a fantasy vigilante film, and he gets revenge in super-super-human style. You must suspend disbelief to enjoy it fully. Good film of its genre. The audience got into it and were cheering in good humor.

One of the worst and sadly funny films of all time, 28 July 2014

I thought it was awful when I first saw it almost 60 years ago, and I just saw it again yesterday and it is as awful now as it was then. It is a preposterous and psychotic look at teenagers, and it's also a teen exploitation film of the 50's. I think THE BLOB had more meaning. Jim Backus in that kitchen apron was a hoot. He was the Father Knows Best about nothing character, totally hapless. It was the beginning of the destruction of the male/father image in TV and film in America. We had Archie Bunker and Al Bundy and many other impotent and stupid fathers to follow. The film is a bust; the acting is so bad. Sal Mineo is almost salivating over James Dean, and James Dean is really the psycho here. In today's world, he'd be locked up in a mental institution for what he says and does and how he acts. And by the way, he has just got to turn himself into the police. What a dolt. The leader of the pack says to Jimbo before they race, "I like you." Oh, Please!!! Poor Natalie Wood. I don't think she knew what to do or who to be. No direction. These characters are just so dumb, that you have to think if it was the screen writer who was dumb, or did he make the kids out to be so dumb on purpose. Lastly, I loved the address book. That whole plot line was so flawed. so there.

Gravity (2013)
There is no Gravity...the movie sucks, 9 October 2013

I am astounded that this film got such high ratings. Special effects alone don't make a good film. There is nothing original or clever or intelligent or uplifting about this waste of time. I wanted to scream; it was sooooo boring. OMG, 90 minutes of Sandra Bullock acting like an ass. Where are the Great Wallendas when you need them? The plot is preposterous and laughable. The story is boring and totally unbelievable. Go see Phone Booth for a good picture with a single setting. This film is a joke, or should I say that the reviews are a joke. Don't waste your money on this one. A film needs more than special effects to be a good experience. I was sooooo bored!!!! I wanted a crocodile to show up at the end and devour her.

Pacific Dim, 26 July 2013

Not very bright screenplay. Pathetic in places. I think it was really a plot to get people to buy tickets to a dinosaur film. I was rooting for the dinosaurs. However, the pea-brain sized dinosaurs were smart. They had high SAT scores. This was a sad disappointment. Thankfully, I did NOT see it in 3D. They wanted another $4.50 to see it in 3D. Also, you could not discern the robots from the dinosaurs in combat thanks to the terrible cinematography. You can't see who's winning the fight. It is schmaltz to the 10th degree. Save your money. See it on TV in ten years. Oh, and one more thing. You need sub-titles to understand the Australian. gidday.

This is a greatly unappreciated film. I loved it., 26 February 2013

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I love to review a film this good and this unappreciated. The mood is very similar to Sleepy Hollow. It's dark and woodsy and beautiful in a scary way. Children are missing and witches are suspected. The film is smart enough to poke fun at itself, but serious enough to scare the hell out of you. The witches are ugly, powerful, intelligent, merciless, and dark. The film is a gem in its cinematography, casting, cast, acting, and story. I was expecting less and got a lot more for my money. Don't believe any negative reviews. Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton star in this film that's definitely NOT for children. Expect very violent battle scenes between the witches and the two bounty hunters, Hansel and Gretel.

Argo (2012)
best thriller in years; madness all around, 25 October 2012

Not since Jaws have I left a movie theatre and brought fear with me. It is a palpable fear brought on by the film's credibility. The Iranian Islamist extremist characters are all monsters and very intelligent and very scary. At times, I was reminded of Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now when he writes in his memoirs, "Drop the bomb; exterminate them all." This film really depicts the futility of trying to bargain with mad men. They are depicted as killer apes in human form; madness permeates the country from top to bottom. This is not religion in any way, shape or form; it is madness. Every scene is directed with such a deft touch by Affleck, and it is definitely one of the best films I've seen this year. Memorable is a word I would use to characterize it. Don't miss it.

2016: Obama's America is terrifying. Why not exposed in 2008?, 1 September 2012

Obama's America in 2016 translates into perceptible reality all the insanity in Washington that is coming out of the White House. Why does the deficit grow and no one seems to care, as if they want it to keep rising so we crash as a civilization. It's all here. I looked at fellow movie-goers in the theater and mouths were wide open and chins dropped. You could hear a pin drop. No one said a word throughout the entire documentary. This is not propaganda like Michael Moore's films, but fact-checked and documented, many times with excerpts from Obama's own writings. It's real and explains his life from his birth in Hawaii to his step father, his father, his grandfather, his communist mentoring, his family in Kenya, his dreams from his father as told to him by his mother, and it all comes into focus. Who is this guy who spent very few years in congress and gets elected to the most powerful position on earth by faith alone. Everyone who voted for him didn't know him or didn't want to look for the truths. It reminded me so much of pre WWII documentaries on the improbable rise to power by Hitler, his lies and his double-speak. Why did people vote for him? It's terrifying to see the same process happening again. Everyone must see this. I was nauseous when I left the theatre an hour ago, and I still am. This film shows how a second Obama term will affect your lives in a big way, your way of life, your freedoms that we all take for granted, and the future world, which may be made-up of multiple conflicts, raging inflation, and a palpable lowering of the standard of living for all Americans, rich and poor alike. Will Israel cease to exist? This is serious stuff and everyone has to see it, especially people who voted for Obama. Now I know why all the insanity is happening. Terrifying.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]