ejr-4

Agua fria, agua fria!!, 11 June 2003

Watched it again this weekend and laughed as hard - no, harder - than the previous 20 viewings! What is it about this movie? It gets FUNNIER every time. Oh sure, everyone comments here about the biggest laugh: Serpentine! Arguably one of the funniest in film history. But there are SO MANY great lines and moments: "There's no reason to shoot at me, I'm a dentist!" "Left turn at The General Garcia Toll Bridge...it's a fitting tribute general...yes, much better than a statue." "We have no blindfolds senor, we are a poor country." Vince: "from here on in it's very cut and dry." Shelley: "it's not cut. it's not dry." How about Shelley's expression as the general pours cold water into his own hand to calm down his agitated friend? And the airline safety instructions delivered by Billy (or is it Bing?) in Chinese. IT JUST GOES ON AND ON! Tell everyone you know, don't go see the remake - rent the original!

An all-time classic, 31 August 2000

I agree with the many user comments below praising this as one of the best movies, certainly one of the best war movies, ever. I would only add one more note: What about the fantastic musical score? I still get chills when I hear that theme!

Corn, not squash, but irresistible, 11 June 2003

This is a real hidden gem -- corny, yes, but incredibly charming. One of those movies I can't stop watching once I come across it while flipping around the channels. Most of the comments here echo my own thoughts, wonderful performances and a solid if somewhat clichéd script -- but it works its charm on you! I love the mayor's line, "I couldn't be happier if I were twins." Lastly, it occurred to me that it's like an American version of a great Bill Forsyth movie, Local Hero! Rent that one and see the parallels.

Wonderfully entertaining, 28 March 2003

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** I hadn't seen this film in many years, but when I borrowed the music cd from the library I enjoyed it so much I ran back for the movie. Couple of comments I'd like to share with other users. A few have noted that "The Game" was cut from the movie. But the music from "The Game" IS used as background score in the overture and one or two other scenes. And I do seem to remember this number so I suspect that the previous message poster was right - there is a print out there that includes it. Also, Bob Fosse's work is so distinctive throughout the movie but especially in "Two Lost Souls." I thought, Wow, this looks EXACTLY like another Broadway number of his: "Gotta Lotta Livin' To Do," from "Bye Bye Birdie." But I was extremely surprised when I looke it up to learn that Gower Champion, not Fosse, choreographed "Birdie!" Compare these two dance numbers!

Back to the film, I found it very entertaining, sung along with all the numbers...but what a flat ending! (SPOILER AHEAD) There was a great opportunity to build suspense that was completely wasted! No scenes of Applegate racing back to the stadium as the game draws to a close. And when Applegate arrives and changes Joe back to his old self as he's running to catch a fly ball, there is no indication that this is the last out to enable the Senators to win the pennant! Where was the announcer to set this up? No music either. Joe runs home, hugs wife, THE END. Very abrupt finish. This film deserved better!

Overlooked and Underrated, 21 September 2008

Found this to be a pleasant surprise. Talky but interesting psychological western, much more intelligent than typical gunfighter fare. Also, I would venture to say that "High Plains Drifter" might have taken a bit of inspiration from this film, which predates it by many years.

Light on the action but the characters are more than one dimensional stereotypes and all good performances.

Totally misrepresented by the one line summary, "Town hires a gunslinger to kill an outcast then hires the outcast to kill the gunslinger," as 95% of the movie is about the first half of that sentence.

Check it out!

Only because there is no 0 rating, 11 March 2014

Die Hard is on my all time top 10 list; It's a perfect movie. Not only is this film an insult to the franchise, it's one of the WORST movies I've ever seen of ANY kind. I can't even begin to give a detailed review. It's just mindless crashing and shooting behind a paper thin plot (actually 'plot' is far too generous a word).

Who approved this script? Didn't anyone comment on the lack of character development, logic, motivation, storytelling, etc.? Or maybe the script was fine and it was all the director's fault? Who knows?

Full disclosure: I bailed on it after 45 minutes. So if at the one hour mark it took a 180 degree turn and became 'True Lies,' I stand corrected.

The Gold Standard, 18 June 2003

It's this simple: Every line delivered by Max or Leo in this movie makes me laugh out loud. And, come to think of it, when they're not talking, their expressions make me laugh out loud, too. Although some classic comedies come close -- A Fish Called Wanda, Ghostbusters, and The In-Laws come to mind -- none quite match it. It is the perfect comedy. "To failure!"

Made and impression on me..., 28 April 2006

I remembered hardly anything from this movie, which I saw on TV during it's original airing when I was a big Vonnegut fan. It must have made a strong impression on me, though, because my first thought whenever I see William Hickey, even before I recall the actor's name, is, "Hey, it's Stony Stevenson." Maybe it's just that the name is so catchy.

Reading these comments gave me a strong desire to see it again -- hey, while I'm writing this, I just remembered, in the phone booth scene referenced in an earlier post, didn't Stony explain to someone that he was in Schenectady? Would sure like to see this one again, or even read it but it can't be read, can it, since it's a compilation of many different Vonnegut stories. I do remember the Chrono Synclastic Infidibulum from The Sirens of Titan. Did Billy Pilgrim go through that as well?

What a mess, 6 August 2000

Hard to believe that this ridiculous story comes from William Goldman, talented author of Marathon Man and Butch Cassidy. There is a claim at the beginning of the film that this is a true story. I guess that is supposed to make this silliness easier to swallow. Hey, I'll bet "Jaws 3-D, The Revenge," which this film resembles, really took place, as well! Do yourself a favor and instead of this mess, rent "White Hunter, Black Heart" based on John Huston's experience shooting "The African Queen" and big game on the same African trip.

Two Rode Together...for about 10 minutes (SPOILERS), 8 September 2004

Watched this last night with high hopes. Stewart and Widmark in a Ford Western? I'm there! Promising start as we learn about Stewart's position in the town and he and Widmark rekindle their old friendship. I liked Stewart's unashamed love of money. And after watching the scene where the two of them sit by the riverbank and talk about their lives, I was hooked!

But what the hell happened to this script halfway through the story? (SPOILERS) Very little of the "two riding together" and very little excitement when they do. Not much tension in the Indian camp. Woody Strode rides in yells and leaves (twice, the second time feet first). Widmark and Jones fall in love? When and how did this happen? Offscreen? And when they return to the fort, this movie just stops dead in it's tracks... I don't know where it's going.

Oh yeah, Belle the saloon owner seems like a feisty, colorful character in her first scene -- and a total b*tch in her last one. Who do you root for in this movie?

Pick a better Ford movie to invest two hours with. There are plenty to choose from.