sixpack-3

Super Cyclone (2012) (V)
An insult to bad movies everywhere, 12 January 2013

I do not normally say that a movie is horrible. I try to look at the intent of the film,the budget, etc. I know that SyFy Channel movies are not good, that is the fun in watching them... knowing how bad they are. But this film is just plain awful. It was made with such little care that it seems as if the people who made it were hanging around in a parking lot making this film with the camera on their cell phones. This film is completely and utterly ineptly made. Here is an example... part of the film takes place on an oil rig out in the middle of the ocean. OK, I understand that you had no budget and could not afford to film on a real oil rig so you had to film at a land based industrial complex. No problem, that is how films are made. One piece of advice... if you are filming at the previously mentioned land based industrial complex as a stand in for your oil rig in the middle of the ocean try not to capture the trees and telephone polls and streets with cars driving by. This was painful to watch.

Wonderful Film... Stands Out... Bridges The Gap, 19 May 2005

There is no getting around the fact that Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is a great film. It is unlike any of the previous Star Wars films, both the Original Trilogy and the prequels. The movie is very dark and intense, even brutal at times. It is not a gore-fest, but this movie is definitely not for little kids and the PG-13 rating is appropriate. The movie seems to stand out on its own as more of a bridge between the old and new than an ending to the prequel trilogy. It is the best of the prequels (and I liked the previous 2) and is on par with Return of the Jedi.

What's Good? -The direction of the film is well done and I have to give credit to Lucas for actually working to make a good film rather than seeing what the limits of CGI are.

-Ian McDiarmid gives an awesomely creepy performance as Palpatine and steals the show... the scenes between the Emperor and Anakin are worth the price of admission alone.

-The score by John Williams is captivating and leads you into the original trilogy.

-The special effects are seamless and take a backseat to the plot and the characters. The CGI is not the focal point of the movie, the people are.

What's not good? -While Hayden is apt in many scenes, he seems to bring down some of the heavier scenes. I'm not sure that is his fault, it may be due to the dialogue, but some of the delivery of the lines in his performance hamper the film and prevent me from really lauding his performance. He is better than he was in Clones, but the jury is still out for as to the merits of his performance in Sith.

-There is absolutely no chemistry between Hayden and Natalie Portman. Again, it may be the lines, but you don't feel much between them.

-As a whole, the trilogy does not give you much time to like Anakin. He is extremely likable for the first 30 minutes of this film, the only time in the series you actually get to see any personality out of him. It is unfortunately too short for my tastes since he starts going batty really early in this film. Thus, you have only seen him as a child and a whining teenager, with only 30 minutes of seeing him as a hero, making his fall less significant than if you had actually liked him prior to his turn to the Darkside.

Consensus The film is not perfect and has some hokey moments, but it delivers and may be a surprise to a lot of viewers. It is markedly different than the other films and it may be some time before we can actually judge its place in the Star Wars universe. Parents should be warned that some scenes might be too intense for young viewers. Most of the characters in the film do not meet their destinies pleasantly. Fore adults, the film should be satisfying. It gives the prequel haters what they wanted, a dark and adult oriented film and bridges the gap (with one or two inconsistencies that will probably be debated endlessly in the forums) and leaves the viewer with both a sense of loss for our favorite characters and a sense of completion that the saga has ended.

I was very happy with this film and think it just may do the job painting the overall picture for this saga. We'll have to see if the good vibes about this movie continue as more people see it.

Refreshing, well written, and well acted., 2 February 2005

I was really happy with Meet The Fockers. I was not sure if it could live up to the first movie and I was expecting a lot of lowbrow humor. There are, of course, some lowbrow jokes (all of the play on the Focker name), but it is, for the most part, funny without getting too crude and without a lot of bad language. It was refreshing to see a comedy that was funny based on the merits of the writing and the acting, rather than depending on base humor and sight gags. Dustin Hoffman was superb and DeNiro gives a performance where you forget it is DeNiro you are watching, which is great considering all of the expectations that come with him. The laughs never let up and the story, in the end, is about accepting your family for who they are and about dealing with the obstacles that life throws at you. If there is a negative about the film, I think it is the editing. It felt really choppy in a few spots. But that did not prevent me from enjoying the film. It exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it if you are in the mood to laugh and have a genuinely good time at the movies. Bravo to all involved in making this picture.

One of The Best Movies I Have Seen In A Long Time, 5 November 2004

Every once and a while, you run into a film that hits you on a level you never expected. Bubba Hotep is one of those films. I am a big fan of Bruce Campbell and I like quirky little movies, so I knew I would enjoy this movie. But, I never expected to see a film that would actually affect me on an emotional level, nor was I expecting a film that very poignantly examined life, growing old, and dying in our society. Any notions you have about this movie before you see it are instantly washed away the minute it starts.

The seemingly ridiculous premise is legitimized by the outstanding performances in the film and by the underlying honest portrayal of how we strip the dignity away from our elderly in this country. The concept of the mummy in this film is really just a vehicle to drive the characters pondering of how they got to such an undignified point in their lives. In the end, you are moved by what these characters do to actually feel alive again. What cannot be overstated here is the brilliant performance that Bruce Campbell turns in. He achieves something in this film that does not happen very often. From the very first frame of the movie, you believe you are watching an aged Elvis and it never crosses your mind that you are looking at Bruce Campbell. The make-up in the film is not intended to make Bruce look like Elvis; it is intended to make him look aged. It is Bruce's mannerisms and facial expressions and vocalizations that convince you that you are looking at Elvis and that is the key to the power of the film. Sure, it has its comedic and hokey elements, but they never take away from the movie and you buy the story every step of the way. In the end, you really don't care if Bruce's character really was Elvis or if Ozzie Davis's character really was JFK. The characters are so genuine that all you need to believe it is their word. They know who they are, so you know it. It is these elements that make this one of the most pleasant surprises in recent years and I wish that we could see more movies like this that are simple, honest, and that are crafted with passion and heart. Bravo to all involve din making this fine movie.

Very Entertaining, 13 July 2004

I saw this over the weekend in NYC with my wife and a large crowd of people. I did not know if a 2 plus hour documentary would keep my attention, but I found myself enthralled and most of the people in the theatre were into it. There are some great moments and a lot of funny moments. You just have to laugh at their antics as they constantly jockey for position. I love Metallica, so I'm not coming from the standpoint of making fun of them, but the movie is just funny and will make you laugh. My favorite scenes revolved around them trying to create songs. To just see them churning through the creative process was an amazing thing and really hit home for me.

Now, many people have knocked this film, but most of the criticism about the movie stems from people's opinions of the band. I have not seen a lot of negative stuff about the film, mostly people venting about how much they hate Metallica since Napster or the Black Album or whatever. Do not let your opinion of the band cloud your opinion of the movie. Judge the movie on it's own merits. From that standpoint, it is a well-made film. I think it will solidify the connection fans of the band have with them and will also reinforce for people who hate the band exactly why they hate the band. That's difficult to do and is a testament to the brutal honesty portrayed in the film and the vision of the people who made it. Good job.

I don't know if people unfamiliar with Metallica will be able to sit through the movie. It felt like you had to know the back-story of the band.

Hellboy (2004)
Solid film - nothing great - but entertaining, 5 April 2004

I was unfamiliar with the Hellboy story going into the movie, so I did not have any expectations of the film. I thought the commercials looked cool and I was looking to be entertained. I am, however, a big wrestling fan and I chose to see Hellboy over the Rock's new movie Walking Tall, so I was at least expecting to have a good time. In that sense, this movie did satisfy me. I had a good time and found myself really into it. There were no real eye-popping moments, but there was plenty of humor and the crowd in the theatre laughed heartily on many occasions. Ron Perlman does a great job, as he normally does, and he really made me root for Hellboy. He connected the audience to the screen with a very human element and many humorous elements that made you feel the human, emotional side of this character.

I thought the effects were good and close to seamless, but they were nothing we have not seen before. The pace is a little slow at first, but picks up. I did get the sense that they were trying to introduce a franchise rather than a single complete story because you do not get any sense that anything was really completed in this film. My other complaint would be that Hellboy does not face a wide array of enemies in the film. He fights the same type of monster throughout the film and the main bad guys seem to be an afterthought that he catches up to at the end.

All in all, I would recommend the film. It is fun and smart and never seemed to be contrived. It actually made me want to go and read the Hellboy comics and peeked my interest in the storyline. I will definitely go to see a sequel if they make it.

If you watch this movie you will be haunted by how bad it is, 5 April 2004

I was just talking about how awful this movie was with my wife the other day and decided to chime in. I rate how I feel about a movie based on a combination of what my expectations are for it based on the advertising, how much they spent making it, who is in it, and how much I paid to see it. So, a low budget clunker that I see at a $5 matinee show will get a pass over a high budget clunker that I pay full price for. The Haunting fits into the latter category. This is just a putrid pile of puss of a movie and I would think you would be better off in a dentist chair than sitting at home watching this film.

I was sitting around a few years back watching some bad horror movie and realized that I had not seen a really frightening movie in a long time. I was in the mood to be scared and I saw the making-of video for The Haunting on HBO. It looked like it might be scary, with all of those menacing looking sets, so I decided to go see it that night with my wife, thinking we would be in for a scary movie. Turns out that the whole movie was nothing but menacing looking sets, with no scares behind them at all. In fact, my wife and I spent most of the time in the theatre laughing very loudly at the horrible plot, the inane dialogue, the misplaced special effects, and the absolutely horrid acting by Lili Taylor. I'm not sure what else she has been in, but based on her performance in this film I would never watch any of her other movies. I literally laughed every time she said "Hugh Crane" or whatever the ghosts name was. She acted the way a little kid would on the playground if they were playing The Haunting.

By far, the thing that ticked me off the most in the movie was the menacing sets. It felt like they were setting you up the entire movie for something really scary to happen in one of these ominous rooms, but nothing ever happened. They spent an hour showing off the mansion and how weird it was, but nothing happened. A great example was the mirrored-room with the carousel. They went in there in the beginning and I thought something would happened. It conjured up images of Something Wicked This Way Comes, so I thought "OK, something weird has to happen in here". When they finally go back there, all that happens is that Nell sees herself in the mirror looking pregnant or something. What is that? How do you run around for two hours going "oh my God, something frightening is going to happen" and then nothing happens... Oh my God, the one lady got hit in the eye with a broken string form the harpsichord...ooooo I have to hide my eyes.

I normally give any movie a chance, but we almost walked out of this one. If it had not been so comical seeing these actors floundering in the muck, we would have left. Never rent this, never buy this. It's one big, over-budget, set-driven nightmare that stole $18.00 out of my pocket. You want to be scared? Watch Jeff Goldblum's performance in The Fly. You want to laugh? Watch The Haunting.

Great Action Movie That Moves The Series Along, 5 July 2003

***Minor Spoilers***

While watching T3, one cannot help but notice the lack of Jim Cameron's unique touch to the film. The movie does not feel the same as its predecessor's. That being said, T3 is still a great action movie and does much to move the series ahead. I love the fact that Arnold has to start over with the Terminator character. He does not have the polished interaction with humans that John taught him in T2 and John even comments on that in the film. The movie also attempts to tie up many of the loose ends left by the first two films when it comes to the whole time travel timeline paradox thing. It dives right into the idea of fate and how the previous excursions into the past in the first two movies only served to postpone Judgment Day, not stop it. They threw a few things in about how things got screwed up by Kyle in T1 and the Terminator in T2. Mostow does an excellent job taking over an established franchise. The film does not have the same frenetic style and suspense of the first two, but was well written and directed. While the first two were both groundbreaking films, this movie does not have anything you have not seen before, but does have something the other two lacked, a raw human element contained in action sequences that are toned down to a more realistic level. This film definitely moves the series along and will stand out as a great movie if it is used as a transition into a film that deals with the future and the war against the machines. If it is the last in the series, it will be a great end, not spectacular, but solid and well made. I liked it and I think most Terminator fans will be satisfied. Surely, what we will need is a mind-blowing 4th film that does contain something we have never seen before, but enjoy this one while it's here.

Crouching Tiger Lite... Silly, but fun none the less, 18 April 2003

I have been a huge fan of Chow Yun-Fat's Hong Kong flicks for years. He is one of the most charismatic actors in the world and always brings depth to the characters he plays. But, he hasn't quite been used in any really good movies in any of his American made films. Despite the fact that he has carried those films on his shoulder, they have all seemed to lack something really special other than his performance. Bulletproof Monk is no exception. He is clearly the best part of the film and I was happy to see him kicking backside. What is great to see is that it seems that he has finally become comfortable with the English language. He is extremely loose and comfortable in this movie and that allows his incredible charm to ooze out of the screen, something that was lacking in his previous English language films. Fans of Chow Yun-Fat will enjoy his performance and those who are unfamiliar with him will finally get a sense for why so many folks around the world love his work. I hope there is more to come.

However, people who are not familiar with Honk Kong cinema may not enjoy the movie. It is a weird mix of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Matrix, with a little bit of Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Karate Kid thrown in and is full of dialogue regarding enlightenment, jumbled together with a ridiculous plot. Despite that, the film is actually fun and entertaining. Yun-Fat finds himself cast in a role that has become all too familiar in movies about Eastern philosophy, that whole Mister Miagi Asian mentor role. However, he brings his unique charm to the film and brings us a master who understands his young student, versus the usual tiny Asian man who can barely speak English who has trouble identifying with his pupil. That brings a fresh aspect to a film that will probably otherwise look an awful lot like a bunch of other movies stitched together. To me, the most unfortunate thing about the movie is the fact that they seemed to cut the action scenes down. You start to get a taste of what Chow Yun-Fat is famous for, but then the scene is ended. I felt teased by most of the film and would have liked to have seen them add in fifteen more minutes of fighting so that I could get my fix. The studio obviously opted for the whole 90 minute length thing, so you do feel like you could have gotten more.

My biggest concern going into the film was Sean William Scott. I was not sure how the pairing would work, but Sean is very low-key in this movie and the two have a very good chemistry. It's a shame that the script wasn't better, because I think that they had real potential to make a great film.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. Don't look for a cohesive plot. I would suggest going to see this film after a hard day of work as a means of escape. Enjoy seeing Chow Yun Fat on the screen again and don't expect more than a Cliffs Notes version of Crouching Tiger.

Crouching Tiger Lite... Silly, but fun none the less, 18 April 2003