crazy-12

Hey! Cops really are human!, 15 September 2004

This is the only police show I remember from those earlier days that shows members of a professional police force in such a light hearted way. As a retired cop myself, I know it was obviously not to be taken seriously of course. In my opinion, a lot of things on that show, though not all, could happen in real life. This is especially true when the cops are off duty and get into situations which include their personal life. Even a lot of the on duty antics are not out of touch with reality, such as when the guys are alone in the locker room. It truly shows law enforcement in a relaxing, humorous way. Cops really are human!

This show influenced me beyond normal response!, 22 May 2004

This is one of my top favorite comedies. Hyacinth, Richard, Onslow, and Daisy all remind me of people I know. This makes it even more fun to watch. I must say one thing that may sound a bit strange, but the constant mention of Bruce and Violet's Mercedes by Hyancinth must have had a real effect on me. For the 1st time after over 40 years of driving, I bought a Mercedes. Of course being on pension I settled for an older, but large and very nice model(a 1986 420 SEL). Before starting to watch this show, I never thought about getting one before! I do enjoy it so. Thanks Hyacinth! I guess something rubbed off of your line of thinking into real life.

Brings back some fond memories, 20 December 2002

The show takes me back to my own senior year, 1963. It is very accurate even to the clothing styles and amazingly, the name of a long since closed amusement park called "Willow Grove Park" was mentioned once. I won't dwell on this, but I was one of the kids back in 1962 on American Bandstand myself. I have a highly treasured snapshot I took one day on the set of Dick Clark interviewing Sandra Dee. The show isn't all carefree of course, but then life has never been without problems. Despite this, it depicts an era of a certain innocence we no longer enjoy.

Disappearance (2002) (TV)
A new twist on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or what?, 22 April 2002

As one who has gone "ghost town" hunting myself, I thought this would be a neat movie. It was fine until, as others have said, the ending. It sure does leave us hanging. Some mention was made as to mutants from a bomb test in 1948 when folks refused to evacuate. However, that doesn't explain how our tourist family all became active "residents" does it.

Like a trip back in time!, 21 November 2001

The main reason I like this film is that the characters show what real people were like in 1955. It's a little like going back in time to an average american town where one observes various folks in everyday life including a variety of personal problems. Of course, I have always been nostalgic about the 50s as I spent my childhood in that era.

Finally, Hollywood has begun to clean up obscene language!, 1 July 2001

While noting this was not "R" rated anyway, it was a pleasure to sit through a movie without the "low life" type of language which has always been so annoying previously-even in some "PG13" shows. I never once heard that disgusting "F" word. What a pleasure to have seen such a good current movie where the attack scenes really give the viewer a better sense of being there than Tora! Tora! Tora! did, yet without degrading the script with filthy language as has become too common today. A gentleman can take a lady to this movie without subjecting her to listening to garbage mouths at last. Thank you!!

I love these 50s teen movies but this one was lousy., 20 May 2001

Usually a big fan of these teenage 50s era flicks, I was not thrilled with this one. It shows the usual 20 something "teenagers" but no one much else is seen in the entire movie. For example, in one scene a phone call is made to the police for help by the owner of the local hangout, but no cops are ever shown in the entire picture. The only good point was the use of real rock n roll music instead of the usual jazz or swing sound which are often heard(incorrectly)as teen dance music of the day.

Plato's gun was still loaded when he was shot!, 31 December 2000

The film is obviously a super classic representing 50s teens in a mostly unhappy light. Of course, it is a drama as opposed to the more happy go lucky teen musical movies of the day. I am glad to have it in any case. Now for the blooper which is obvious to anyone who has even a limited working knowledge of handguns. Near the end, Jim removes the magazine(clip) from the butt of the pistol which contains cartridges(bullets). He then hands it back to Plato who thinks the clip is still in place. The purpose behind this is, of course, to render the weapon harmless. However, the pistol has been fired several times (but not enough to empty it) before the clip was removed and each time a pistol of this type is fired, another cartridge is then fed from the magazine into the firing chamber. Therefore, that gun still would have had a live round in the chamber ready to fire even though the clip was removed. Regardless of the fact that the police did not know about the removal of the clip, in reality the weapon would still have been loaded with one more shot. So contrary to the intent of the writers, Plato did not die with an unloaded gun in his hand.

A rare combination of 50s teenage fun and serious drama, 15 January 2000

This film is a cut above most 50s teenage movies which deal with music and fun times like "Rock, Rock, Rock" and others. Then there are the ones dealing with a serious plot with little teenage fun times shown. Unlike these, "Teenage Rebel" has the best of both in one film. The kids have loads of fun here. They clown at the malt shop, go to a drag race and enjoy a real fun party with plenty of music and dancing. Yet, at the same time, a serious drama is going on where a resentful girl learns a valuable lesson about the value of her mothers unconditional love for her. This is very intense drama combined with the fun.

The Crossing (2000) (TV)
Good historic lesson but unfit for young student viewing, 10 January 2000

This was a long overdue film as there has been so little done on the Revolutionary War. I learned from it and hail the educational value involved in the events. However, I find it most unfortunate that it contains highly offensive language as well as close-up scenes of graphic bloody violence. I am reasonably certain that many young students were watching this on advice from teachers and parents, only to have it turned off by a great many responsible adults because of these objections I have mentioned. Otherwise, it was very well done.