MEG-40

Sad life story., 15 August 2008

A really good film but one of the saddest films I've seen in a long time. Although the film was was released in 2006 I only saw it on Australian TV in August 2008. It was shown very late at night with a warning beforehand of child abuse which nearly put me off watching it. If this is not a true life story, I would guess that it must be based on one as it is so very credible. The choice of athletes and actors was good and the role of the coach who trained the young gymnasts was played menacingly well. What a horrible character and unfortunately there may be more than one of those in the real world. The parents were disgusting - I'd run away from home if they were mine. After all his misadventures, I hope that Miklós enjoyed his time with Cirque De Soleil in Las Vegas because by then, in my opinion, after all the hardships he endured he deserved to be treated as a very unique person.

Is this real life?, 24 June 2006

Now 3 years after it's release this film was shown on TV in Australia and in the early hours of the morning. I really enjoyed it too though it was more of a fairy tale than real life ... I wish I would have had a husband who did ALL the chores and still thought that I was the only one for him but the 'house-husband' of this type is a new invention and the product of the generation where Mother did all the chores and Dad was out earning the money! I would have liked to see a further chapter after they walked off into the sunset to see how they coped together in the real world! Now that would have also been very drole as the French say!

"Unit 1" (2000)
Great Series, 1 May 2006

Have just seen the last episode, No 32, (though the site says only 30 episodes were made) and I must comment on the fact that this series was really very good and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys crime/cop stories. Supposedly all 32 were based on fact with information at the end of each episode of the court sentences imposed on the perpetrators of the crimes, this has at times been a gritty, well acted, believable and dare I say, entertaining series. The fact that the powers in Denmark decided to disband the unit was almost unbelievable as they did their work so well and in the series at least, never failed to "get their man"! It's a definite 10/10 for me.

It will join my list of all time favourites, 8 April 2004

The strange thing about the reviews and comments that I've read about this movie was that they were all bordering on the negative. It is a wonderful film, so different just because it is about an old man who remembers that he can read and how the only books that he can get are love stories which help him put his world into a new perspective. Not quite alone in the Amazonian jungle for years, we are told a bit of his history in cleverly inserted flashbacks. The roles of the slovenly village Mayor (Timothy Spall), the itinerant dentist (Hugo Weaving)and the beautiful village girl (Cathy Tyson) are all so well played that the viewer is drawn in as part of the the story like a voyeur. When the film had ended I just wished to see more. Being a fan of Richard Dreyfuss was a definite plus but overall this gentle film was very enjoyable and I'd see it again and again.

A good laugh!, 10 April 2003

Whoever said that laughter is the best medicine was right. This movie was a real treat what with all the current trends in fast action, blood and gore type films which people flock to see in the cinemas nowdays. I was very fortunate in being able to view it from the comfort of my armchair at home when it was shown on our Australian multi-lingual TV channel. I voted 9/10 for it, and thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good over the top comedy. The ladies, "Old Hags" of the English title, are all a scream and the situations and scrapes they get into are all of their own making on their way to reclaiming the central Moscow apartment which has been taken over by an out of town 'gangster' whilst they are living in a leased house in the middle of a cemetery. In my opinion this is a - must see, feel good movie - which deserves a wider audience.

Something Different, 12 February 2003

For film buffs who like their movie viewing to include films which are not easy to categorise, this is a 'must see'. With superb acting by the whole cast, none well known to english speaking audiences, and with good direction this film deserves all the accolades that it has earned. The dialog is sparse, so very little is lost in the sub titling as can happen when one sees a foreign language film that has a lot of involved dialog. The plot summary given on the IMDb title page tells it all and without wanting to give too much away I'd like to say that it is one of the best films I have seen in an age of musical films acted by people who are not known for their dancing ability, early gang violence films made by well known directors and literary women films about being influenced by the pages of books! Bella Martha is a breath of fresh air and a memory of times when a person went to the movies and left the theatre smiling.

A rare series., 10 January 2003

Not that many people will be reading my comments as this show is a couple of years old now but we are seeing it for the first time in Australia and I must comment on the grittiness and unglamourous world of the arraignment courts in the USA. We are bombarded with lawyer and police shows with beautiful people who are, oh, so smart and unbelievable! Yet, 100 Centre Street works because it does not glamourise itself and the stories and actors are all believable. The few episodes we have seen so far, only about 4 or 5, have all been outstanding and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing more. Superb, this is a 10/10 for anyone who wants to see the 'other side' of life!

Deadly Summer (1997) (TV)
A Black Comedy of Laughs!, 14 February 2002

This 'made for TV' film is filled with over-the-top characters, (it's no wonder the French hate English tourists) this lot are scraping the bottom of the barrel, with the exception of darling Pauline Quirke. How could the film ever be mundane with actors like herself, Francesca Annis, Bob Peck and Nicholas Farrell, not forgetting Sarah Smart, playing a role similar to the bratty daughter of the Braithwaites. Everyone including the old French "witch" played their roles to perfection, that they kept themselves from laughing proves their acting ability!! I would love to have seen some of the out-takes! A middle of the night movie that should have been given a better time slot, Deadly Summer, fulfilled all expectations of how enjoyable black comedies can be!

Not so much of the Romeo and Juliet thing, please!, 24 January 2002

I have never really understood why so many stories of "star crossed" lovers are always compared to Romeo and Juliet, which, fair enough, was about families at odd with each other, but, in my opinion, Solomon and Gaenor is so much more. A really sad story about bigoted people who are just perpetuating a centuries old hatred of people who are different to themselves. The supposedly Christian people who should practise what they preach and the Jewish people who will not integrate for fear of losing something of themselves in the process is the real dilemma of this story. Solomon and Gaenor are the ultimate losers in this harsh Welsh world of miner's strikes and religious bigotry in the early years of the 20th century when everything was seen as back and white and there was no place for shades of grey inbetween. More people should have the opportunity to see this film which, as far as I know, was never shown in cinemas in Australia and only consigned to a late night viewing time on a little watched TV station, as there is a lesson to be learned from this really well acted film .

To pc dean of Arlington, Virginia!, 4 January 2002

Some poor sap, hey! What do you know? I did want to review this film after seeing it but then I read your comments! You have aptly put into words everything about this film that makes it worth while. There is no way that I could have added anything more to entice the reader to go, view and experience this film for themselves. Thank you for sharing with us your most amusing, subtle and at the same time insightful views.