Kai-18

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Possibly the best musical ever!, 4 September 2000

The story is smart, funny and sick and all of the songs are catchy and memorable (my favourites being "Blame Canada" and "What would Brian Boitano do?") It's a very clever way to discuss the issue of censorship in society. Even though I liked the series this is much funnier and smarter than an already funny and smart series. It's nice that Trey and Matt accomplished their goal of making a movie without it just being a long episode of the series. And get the hilarious soundtrack.

This movie rules, 20 August 2000

This movie is fairly dumb but luckily it is dumb in a fairly self-conscious way. Some cool fighting sequences and some weird villains (although the monster who look like a weird gorilla man was fairly lame) make this film fun for B-Movie fans the world over. There is one problem though: Kurt Russel's character didn't do to much ass kicking as a viewer might hope. For Kurt Russel kicking ass check out Escape from New York.

The best superhero cartoon ever., 17 August 2000

This is every thing an adventure show should be. It has action, drama, comedy, tragedy and a truly Gothic feel (fitting that it takes place in Gotham). The interesting thing about the Batman character is that the only reason he becomes Bruce Wayne is to make enough money to fund his Batman work and to help the less fortunate. He's such a tragic character as he's given up a personal life for his parents dream. The stories are wonderfully intelligent and fun at the same time. There are very few poor episodes in this series (but note that their are some). Even lame villains like the Clock King and Mr. Freeze are made engaging and exciting. Ignore the movies and watch the series. Heck, at times it can even be much more realistic than the movies (like in "I am the Night") Some recommended episodes are: "Almost Got 'Im" (a poker game where Bat-Villain recount how they almost killed him), "His Silicon Soul" (a robot clone of Batman is a little too much like Batman too do a computers evil bidding) and "the Man who killed Batman" (in which a small time crook has seemingly killed Batman... by accident)

"Hey, this is a lot like Charlie's Angels!", 6 August 2000

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. I new when I bought the MST3k tape that it was going to be funny (which it was) but the experience was one that was shameful and humiliating to all involved. This is one of those films that makes you squirm in you chair about every 5 minutes. If you have any sense, don't let your grim curiosity allow you to see this film. It's terrifyingly bad! Cameos by Jim Backus, Arthur Godfrey and the Skipper (yes, that skipper) hurt the film rather than help. Run, save yourselves!

Dogma (1999)
Brilliant comedy adventure by Kevin Smith, 3 July 2000

Though I'm not a huge Kevin Smith fan I loved Clerks and this is really close to being just as good. Though some of the jokes don't work (Like the Excremental) it is very fun with a great cast (amazing having George Carlin as a Cardinal) and a never take yourself to seriously attitude. The movie had some good messages and really makes you think about the way we view religion.

Not a rip-off, but part of a genre, 3 July 2000

That genre being one of cute monsters found in many anime. Though the basic premise is kind of a rip-off, even in anime (monsters that get stronger in battle and evolve), on closer inspection you'll note the show takes place on a larger scale. Though the dub always adds some bad dialogue, the story itself is a lighthearted adventure. I'd personally like to see the series subtitled instead due to some of the changes. Please be warned that some of the dialogue would make the Pokemon dubbers blush, especially by hamming up tense moments. Otherwise a nice series. Love the music when they fight evil.

A chilling classic with a surprise twist, 29 June 2000

Although I have to confess I kind of figured out the twist half way through this was definitely a greatly underrated horror classic. Although the scenes in the carnival a quite surreal it's a nice piece of work that must be admired by all horror fans. And though it is a bit slow it doesn't make it any less an enjoyable movie. Save this one for Halloween.

One of the best anime series made, 26 June 2000

Though it only had 26 glorious episodes this show was able to fit more plot twists, great characters, knee-slapping comedy, exciting action, powerful drama and even political intrigue. The characters are given great depth that you like them so much that you want to be apart of their crazy world. It also depicts a war in which both sides are guilty and the soldier are not evil. It is both (in a contradictory sense) intensely believable and laugh out loud ludicrous. If you can try to pick up all 26 episodes. You won't be sorry (especially if you an anime fan). Note that the non-existant anime that the characters watch in the series (a take off of giant robot anime like macross) was actually given a little mini-movie. I got to find that!

Very Imperfect but has some decent points., 20 June 2000

Though this movie doesn't live up to the hype there are definitely some good parts. The pod race was ruled (despite the announcer and pointless shots of Jar Jar) and the final battle was incredible (except Darth Maul's death). Thing is Jar Jar was just embarrassing and a lot of it just wasn't as fun as the original and has continuity errors (Didn't Obi Wan said he met Anakin as a great pilot and not before he became one?). The main flaw was the fact that these catered to little kids while the other films were great for all ages. So this is a 50/50 review for which is leaning into the area of a negative review.

Nice movie about breaking into the biz, 20 June 2000

I was kinda surprised I liked this movie. I thought it was going to be cheesy, seen it before crap but it was actually a nice little flick. It shows how fame can be enjoyable, yet fleeting and it also shows the kind of evolution a band makes from one stage to another. All and all a decent flick. The best part was the soundtrack. Like a previous review mentioned, it sounds like it came straight from the 60's. The one thing that would have made this more interesting (perhaps) was if it was in quasi-documentary style, with the drama scenes acting as "dramatizations".

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]