Zeech

Warning... self effacing white male, 25 August 2016

I was in Liverpool, the opposite end of the spectrum to Slough, home to soft southern saps where Brent sets this turkey, it doesn't work with it's-oh look self effacing white male, yea right, I was sitting at the back and could smell his smugness. But he, the office used to work...

A long time ago a good partner of mine, walked out on me saying 'I refuse to spend another day in a country like this where people are in a perpetual state of embarrassment'. It cracked me up, and I pulled out some old' OFFICE episodes, he laughed and stayed. Like I said that was a long time ago, not even the tittering classes of the south can find this still works in 2016!

Go Check Louis CK or any number of great American self effacing white men, who also don't hog all the lines like Brent the Bore does. Unless you're really old' and unable to empty yourself of that English middle class angst where you're in a constant state of embarrassment in, which case you'll watch and titter to this turkey for nostalgic reasons.

7 Seconds (2005) (V)
Not Cult status but a Kebab special!, 19 August 2016

Just a few words after reading some of the pretentious media illiterate reviews here. Like most media it's the CONTEXT that we ingest it in that matters.

I ingest techno in a club a midnight not after my Tai Chi class.

And this late night campy action movie was just what the senses ordered, when we watched it late at night with Kebabs and Lager. It's such a laugh!! Forget the plot, it's the characters, and by the way it's great to hear so many accents, the South London accents is a good change from the usual suburban middle class accents British actresses have and I could go on. It is a Straight to Video, like Seagal which is also ingests well after a night out with your mates with a Kebab and Lager for some bubble and giggles. The dialog doesn't demand much, and the plot is simple to follow so frequent trips to the fridge and bathroom never elicits a 'what I miss?'.

If it comes on at your local cable, best to ask yourself first 'am I feeling' for a Jarmusch or a poor man's Tarantino,' before watching more than 7 seconds of this Kebab n Lager special.

Doing Time (1979)
Class War 101, 10 August 2016

I watched this again over 3 decades after it was made with younger folks. How to make it relevant to them? The jokes fall flat in our new millennium — like the 'oh he's gay, so it's funny'. This in a sense made it relevant because it shows what was seen as funny back then.

What hadn't changed is the Class War aspect which is clear and present as the backdrop, starting with the accents. Quentin Crisp joke that 'In the US your accents shows where you're from. In contrast to the UK where your accent shows where you're from'. The middle accents come from the 2 governors of the prison. The official governor, from privilege and boarding schools and the shadow governor, the prisoner who runs things from the inside with aspirations of class, displayed by his brilliantly acted faked accent.

Between official and shadow governance is the space Fletcher moves, bopping and weaving. Fletcher, the main character we all watched Porridge for, is the survivor. He's not for the system or against the system to fight it, he just wants to get it off his back and get by (straight outta the book and movie 'The Spook Who Sat by the Door. Watch for his delivery of the line to a prison officer 'you, I, we are merely here to establish the status quo'.

So yea, this old grimy film worked well as a conversation trigger on the 'how things were back then' theme, without any nostalgia, giving a new lease of life and relevance. Why was it a comedy unlike say HBO's brilliant Oz series? As the man said, if you going to tell people a painful truth you better make them laugh.

Shadow Governance

Momentum (2015/I)
like eating stale bread with stale cheez, 10 May 2016

Oh Lordy Lordy what turkey this was. Only bothered to watch this coz of Morgan. The first few seconds with his voice over sets up a kewl vibe where you reach for a brew and blunt and get comfy in the lazy boy and then… nothing but corn camp villain with English public school accent (coz we all know the British are up to no good) fighting it out with a pathetic flat ass hero whose pretty face has one expression… BLAND! Even the action scenes couldn't stop me from adjusting my lazy boy to sleep mode. It's 2016 and our standards are high from Bourne Conspiracy and a zillion Kung Fu movies. The action scenes here are like the 1970's cop films, OK back then but well stale now. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!! if you're going to watch cheezy cliché crap make it bearable at least and do a 50 Cent straight to video move at least my man has swagger which always goes well with a brew and blunt.

MI-5 (2015)
WASP on WASP alert!!, 21 February 2016

This film is so B-O-R-I-N-G it had to be British. So boring like the drizzle dreary bwitish weather itself. So boring I wrote this to fight off the insomnia attack while watching this turkey (and we all know the bwitish can't cook).

What with the lines "what the bloody hell… ' each fulmination delivered with that repressed boarding school angst the top inbred upper class characters all have. They do have a black guy in there but he's such a coconut his massas probably don't even call him by name just whistle.

No need for spoilers this turkey is well spoiled because it's about… surprise, surprise Arab terrorists. And not like Three Kings or The Siege or Traitor where the gray areas are used for brill dramatic effect.

To make it appear somewhat original, you know what they did? Get this WASP on WASP competition! American CIA vs bwitish MI5. Too funny, I know the bwitish are pretty clueless bunch (I use to live there) but there is no competition folks it's been over since the US started using that drizzle dreary island as its largest aircraft carrier, over 30,000 US troops on British soil under American command. Uncle Sam runs things already. C'mon now MI5 it's over so stop embarrassing yourselves with this farce to stay independent while pottering around after naughty arabs with bombs.

Sometimes a boring movie can be bearable with eye candy or a great backing track but not this lame duck. In the name of realism they used actors who look the part, that's inbred upper class twats from that diminishing gene pool who are not easy on the eye. And the backing track to this wooden chicken, is like intro to techno beats, you know the cheezy slow intro effects before the beats speed up.

Woulda Coulda Shoulda worked if it was serious, and I mean serious in any way, seriously camp like James Bond (the boys at the club say you're not fooling anyone James), or a serious setting like the brilliant Hidden Agenda 1991, but then that's set in Ireland and too much for the BBC tea and biscuit brigade who need to believe their nanny state is taking care of them — yea right, tell that to the victims of their imperialist wars blessed by the worlds biggest welfare queen.

If it's a TV spy series that's your bag, check out Homeland.

Serves as brilliant photo-journal as that time but with motion, 8 February 2015

Coming to NYU? Going to live in the village? Perplexed by old timers talking about 'how the village/lower east side has gentrified? Watch this in the background as you sip your mocha with soy care of gentrification. The background shots are for real. See how parts of NY looked back in the day. Serves as brilliant photo-journal as that time but with motion.

I moved to to village in 1980 away from Europe and this brought back so many memories not just of the urban landscape but the characters. It was the perfect antidote to the stale suburbs and perfect environment to write, act, dance, play music, make love and generally 'Express Yo'Self!'

20 years on, Rewind Review, 6 June 2009

We checked this film again decades after most of us had seen it first time around. @ Ritzy in Brixton which was bad and independent back in the day. What hit us all, is a moment in the movie where our guy shows his involved in international politics, meeting about Chile etc. He like many gay men is involved in the socialist politics and yet.. and yet where is his moves for individual sexual politics? This really was true back in the day where gay men would be involved in the great left vs right debate but keep their sexual life was a don't ask don't tell and don't expect any gay civil rights involvement from me! This wasn't a myth as Peter Tatchell was an active socialist in the labour part but once his gay lifestyle hit the media, well even the his Party's Leader had to denounce him as a 'poofta'. Political Young folk should watch Taxi Zum Klo to realize how good they have it now.

Manufacturing Consent with a Chuckle, 14 April 2006

As per usual with PAK Posse reviews this comments is not tell you about the plot etc. Hey that's why you wanna see the film right? But to assist in shape shifting so folks can watch this with another lens. 'Livin Large' came up for us (PAK posse) as a part of a Communications Class Fun Break Theme, of the 'edutainment' genre. As in teaching or attending a class on media/communication or any of those coffee and cigarette type subjects. This movie could be a light relieve class viewing. It would balance out say, watching Chomsky's 'Manufacturing Consent' which is a heavy documentary and some may call clumsy but come on now some of us suburban space cadets need that to wake us up.

Some of us here at PAK Posse worked in media (before we couldn't take the BS any longer) and the issues mentioned in 'Manufacturing Consent' are raised and played out big time in Livin Large. It's done brilliantly and humorously. The vehicle is race, as you can see from the poster, but class is in there as well. The process of selling out is NOT a sudden one that one becomes aware of but like a frog in a pan of water being warmed up slowly, it doesn't realize it's being cooked until it's too late. Selling our soul for the buck, the status, the car, the glamor (u will die when you see our boy falling in "luuuuuurrrrve with himself " on the TV screen). And of course for the male this is often accentuated by his partner, so poor Dexter has his woman Toynelle getting goading him on as begins to enjoy the high life too. This selling out can be so gradual that we sell out our ancestors, our soul without realizing it unless something drastic happens or as this movies shows we literally go nuts! Going nuts can be a warning message from within that our reality is skewed, in this movie the humane ending is the positive outcome of heeding the warning.

The reality check of course is in the real highly competitive media, the outcome is different. One of us said that Livin Large just had to be a comedy coz of the serious issues of media is raises up. For example a BBC black news reporter (Trinidad) would 'coincidentally' be chosen to read the news about South Africa continually, during the apartheid regime. He would look straight at the camera and read the prompt, lies an' all which was pro apartheid-UK government and anti Mandela. For selling out his people his black ass a knighthood or something from the (welfare) queen of England for doing this devilish work and he is a now token of the reactionary media establishment which is exactly what could have happen to Dexter in Livin Large.

So Yea boy, watch this a Double up with 'Manufacturing Consent', it's funny as hell as it's dealing with serious stuff. And us activists are always being rightly accused of taking ourselves too seriously anyway.

Politics of Film - it really is more than just entertainment, 12 September 2005

Politics of Film

This is like Sankofa a Diaspora telling of The Great Black Experience, independent conscious but unlike Sankofa which came out of US in the new world, this came out of London.

Interesting is that while Sankofa was a true independent success being seen in many independent cinema's and brought to colleges from grassroots black support, this film is hard, I mean real hard to see in Britain. Most folks I speak to you Brixton, London haven't heard of it let alone seen it and the independent cinema the Ritzy has blanked it.

Showing 500 Years Later back to back to with Sankofa would be an interesting starting point for the Politics of Film. Both progressive and conscious narratives from the Hunted not the Hunters view and both with distribution problems from the get go.

Note: There is an interesting interview with the makers from the Socialist Worker paper, this is a pretty far left marginal group, who like most radical socialist/Marxist organizations tend to seek out and support all things black and working class. Check it: http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/article.php4?article_id=7188

- email me please if you know of any similar films but not in English, especially if Arabic (maybe Egyptian).

Dot.Com (2000)
It really does get funnier as the years go by..., 14 June 2005

It's amazing to see this film made to in that short 5 year Dot Com Boom -that which has never been seen before. Pre for this rental by getting your pop corn and reminisce companies going IPO without having made a profit!!?? the chortle about Razorfish, Viant, Kozmo and .......

It's comedy history people, as a 'muscian', 'actor' all round flake I was one of the many who in the mid 90's got swept off ma feet literally by the Dot Com boom of New York City. You really did have people say 'what will it take you to start tomorrow?' and being a lit grad you would say, "the usual, the minimum wage and happy hour Fridays", then the dot con dude would cut eye with you and say 'oh you want to play hard ball eh? OK 6 figure salary with stock options, and travel allowance but no limo's bringing you to work we are just a start up'. AND this movie has all that stuff, it's no exaggeration. Seeing people (like moire) who would be flipping burgers, sorry the're grads, serving espresso's avec du creme in coffee bars in the East Village (Greenwich), seeing people like us jumping on the new media explosion with no experience makes for troubles ahead and where there's incompetence there's humour.

And in earnest, this film could only be made then about that because such comical incompetence would become slapstick and silly if applied to a non Dot Com industry like Film, Automobile, Farming etc. The industry used in the film, is in it's overheating stage where incredible opportunities abound and anyone and everyone seems to be able to get in.

The ending of the film will make you spit your blunt right out of your hand. Mention this movie when you bump into a former dot com guy, like anyone who graduated in the mid 90's from NYU and watch them squirm/laugh/'go to a happy place'. Then push your luck and ask 'what did you do with all that money?'

Happy Place Zeech 'if you are going to walk on thin ice,' 'you might as well skate!'