DavidA-5

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

The Beach (2000/I)
Sand, Sex, and Videogames..., 16 February 2000

Take one cup of beautiful azure blue skies, one tablespoon of crystal clear water, and about 15 minutes of digitized computer game visuals, and you have the recipe for "The Beach". I must be honest in my review, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie for the first hour or so, after that I was lost. I simply loved the beautiful photography and panoramic views, they were simply breath-taking. I found myself actually sitting on the edge of my seat during some of the movies' early action sequences. But, someone please explain to me what happened to this movie that had so much potential before the script fell apart ? I actually commented to my a friend who attended the movie with me, why did this movie end before the story did ? And, as I sit here and write my review I thought of the reason this movie just did not work all that well for me. It was the glaring absence of Gilligan, Mary Anne, The Professor..oh yes and the Skipper too. A two hour movie that was much like a three hour cruise. All in all I gave the movie a 7, what can I say I'm feeling generous tonight.

Once to behold, but only once., 11 February 2000

Before I decided to see this movie I wondered to myself why it was held so long before its' release ? Could it have been due to the extreme popularity of Ashley Judd ? or, could it be this film fell far short of the mark ? Anyone who has seen this movie will choose falling short. This review is the easiest one I have ever written. I give this movie an "I" for incomplete. I'm still wondering when they will re-edit and finish the film. hmmm.. confused.

Play it, but only once, PLEASE !, 22 January 2000

As any good film lover would know, Hollywood has had a love affair with the sport of boxing since movies became part of our American culture. However, this boxing movie will do absolutely nothing to enrich the history of the Boxing/Hollywood marriage. The plot of this film was so awfully simplistic and transparent everyone in the theatre knew the outcome 10 minutes into the movie. To be completely honest with you I did not expect very much from this movie, and I got even less. I can't recommend this movie for even the most loyal fans of either Woody Harrelson or Antonio Banderas.

Interrupted is intelligent..., 22 January 2000

Where do I begin my critique of this fine film ? Both Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie played their parts poignantly and true to life. I found this film touchingly real with genuine feeling and emotion. The movie took me into places I have never been, while at the same time it showed me how the treatment of mental health has changed and grown in the last twenty years. When you do see this movie you will be able to put yourself into each and every scene. This is the mark of a fine film, and it was well worth the price of admission.. and then some. I must agree with the Golden Globes nominating committee for their terrific choice to select Angelina Jolie as a nominee for best supporting actress. It is certainly well deserved. I just can't help but wonder why Winona Ryder was over-looked.

Magnolia (1999)
A Magnolia lillypad is home for a frog nation..., 12 January 2000

Before I begin my review of this fine film I must warn you this is a thinking persons movie, so be prepared. As the crowd exited the theatre this evening the usual rush for the exits was not present. I could not help notice the small clusters of people huddled together to discuss their theories on what we had all just seen. This movie is loaded with irony and remorse with each and every character. I found the acting to be absolutely superb by all of the players. But, one actor's performance stands out like a beacon on a foggy evening, Tom Cruise. Cruise's portrayal of a sleezy almost carnival-like sales preacher was done to perfection. This is the best I have seen Tom Cruise in a very long time, Bravo! The supporting cast in this film was equally wonderful as they led us through a journey of mixed emotions and ideas. I did find the movie a bit long, but at the same time I was sorry to see it end because I wanted to solve all of the movies' puzzles. Still, as I sit here nearly an hour after leaving the theatre I wonder about so many sequences in this film, and I'm sure I will continue to rewind this movie in my mind many times over. Myself and two friends saw this movie and we all have so many angles, too many to write in a few short words. See this movie with your friends and you will know what I mean. My fiends and I gave this movie 8 high jumping frogs.

The Kick is up , and its wide right !!, 6 January 2000

Where do I begin on this movie ? As an avid football fan, and a big fan of Al Pacino's, I looked forward to the opening of this movie for months prior to its' release. I must say I was rather disappointed with the movie. The football action scenes were photographed in a manner in which the viewer was unable to gain perspective on the scene. The night game sequences were nearly non identifiable due to the darkness of the scenes. When the best part of the movie is its' final scene, I know it won't be a movie I will see again. I just thought this movie had so much potential with its' all star cast, but it just fell far too short of the goal line.

This mile is worth every step of the journey ..., 5 January 2000

Imagine this, a multiple time Oscar winner (Tom Hanks), a relative new comer (Michael Duncan), who has talent as big as the shadow he casts, and a script that will send your emotions for a creative, and touching journey. Here is where you will find The Green Mile. This movie has amazing impact throughout the entire length of the production. Combine the wonderful script with its' heart-felt drama, emotion, and a nice light touch of comedy, and you have a movie that is assuredly Oscar worthy. The support players, Bonnie Hunt, David Morse, and James Cromwell were all simply wonderful. And shall we not forget the "love to hate" role of Percy Wetmore, played by Doug Hutchison. I can't see how this movie will not get multiple Oscar nominations. On a scale of 1-10, I give this movie 9 mice.

What a strange trip it was..., 5 January 2000

Here is how I can summarize The Talented Mr. Ripley, you have just returned home from a long vacation, you drop your suitcases on the bed and open them. You see a mixture of clothes, shoes, and accessories in a variety of shapes, colors and sizes turned in multiple directions and angles. This my friends is The Talented Mr. Ripley. I found this movie well acted, well photographed, and the Italian landscapes were simply beautiful. But, will someone please explain this movie to me ? The plot, whatever there may have been of one, seemed manufactured and full of holes. The acting however was done especially well, Matt Damon, Jude Law, and Gwyneth Paltrow played their usual fine parts. Although, my favorite portrayal in the movie was Freddie Miles, played brilliantly by Philip Seymour Hoffman, albeit a small part.

I felt the ultimate disappointment for me in this movie was a very weak ending to a simply average movie. I give this movie 6 1/2 saxophones, as long as Matt Damon promises to never sing in a movie again, please.

Eerie, Scary, and authentic !, 8 November 1999

This movie had me on the edge of my seat from about 10 minutes in, until the credits began to roll. Denzel was spectacular, and Angelina Jolie was terrific. I spoke with a friend who does forenzic work for a living and she was amazed on the authenticity of this film. The scary, and too real feeling of being below ground in the bowels of New York City made me squirm in my seat. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a nice piece of film making. But I must warn those who may be a bit squeemish, this movie is not for the meek. On a scale of 1-10, a solid 8.

A fun movie, but..., 7 November 1999

Before I begin my comment / review of this movie, I must tell you that Renee Zellweger is a favorite actress of mine.

With that in mind, I have to say I was a bit disappointed with "The Bachelor". I found the plot and storyline to be very transparent, as well as the script. This movie did have some fun moments though. I found Mariah Carey and Brooke Shields' cameo appearances added a nice touch. Chris O'Donnell and Renee Zellweger were alot of fun to watch.

If you're looking for a fun, light hearted movie, you will enjoy it.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]