desact

This play is becoming a cult classic., 16 January 2000

High school students love the play, but the film is virtually unobtainable. The playwright, Jonathan Marc Sherman, never really made it big, but this is a wonderful, poignant, clever, hilarious film, and the cast, including Hamilton, who starred in the made-for-t.v.-flick, "The 60s," is excellent. The play has been performed at numerous high schools around the country, and kids love it. Because Sherman was only 18 (I believe) when he wrote it, it really speaks to those who are going through many of the same problems with the opposite sex. The sequence called "Tyrannosaurus Rex," in which Wallace performs an offensive stand-up routine before all of the women in his life and they leave, one-by-one, is just amazing. The film gets a bit hokey for some at the end, as Wallace discovers true love, but it still works as a whole. Women and Wallace deserves a re-release and a wider audience.

Steambath (1973) (TV)
This film needs to be re-released., 16 January 2000

I agree wholeheartedly with those who like this movie. I too watched it on PBS in the early seventies with a group of my friends and we all thought it was hilarious--even profound. Bruce Jay Friedman is one of the cleverest and most imaginative writers around. Check out his stories in the volume Black Angels if you want to see more of his work. Steambath is an unacknowledged gem. It ranks right alongside the black humor of Vonnegut, John Irving and T.C. Boyle. It should be resurrected.