babsbnz

Soap Opera Superb, 9 October 2007

You can't take this movie seriously.....the plot is predictable and trite, the acting often over the top, the dialog laughable; but it all adds up to great fun! Three "career girls" in the late 1950's find their way to the BIG city and all the evils and temptations their mothers probably warned them about: married men, alcohol, premarital sex, abortion, etc.

Then there's Amanda Farrell (Joan Crawford) who did succeed professionally, but whose personal life has been sacrificed for an office with her name on the door.

This movie may have been believable 50 years ago, but now it's just great campy fun! Rent/buy it and enjoy.

Atonement (2007)
Almost Perfect Screen Adaptation of Stupendous Book, 14 September 2007

I loved the book, so awaited Joe Wright's adaptation with mixed feelings....would it do the book justice, or would I be forever disappointed to see the "wrong" interpretation? I decided to go to Toronto to see it at the Film Festival to find out!

Bottom line I was so relieved. It's a beautiful story and the casting and sets and staging are wonderful, almost to the point of distraction.

My only complaints were a "Hallmark card" type of scene at the end of Cecelia and Robbie happily cavorting on a beach (very NOT Ian McEwan's style)and the decision NOT to include the final scene of the book, where Briony's very young cousins finally stage her play, "The Trials of Arabella" which started the story going 60+ years earlier. I think that scene beautifully brought the story to a close, and wished they had included it in the film.

But other than that, no complaints and I can't wait to see it again.

Evening (2007)
Mom had a life daughters didn't know about, 4 July 2007

This is not a profound movie; most of the plot aspects are pretty predictable and "tried and true" but it was well-acted and made some interesting points about what we might regret (our "mistakes" as the movie calls them) as we look back over our lives. I had not read the book, so didn't know much other than it was the story of a dying woman who has strong memories from long ago that she hasn't really shared with anyone. Thankfully they got a top-notch cast....Meryl

Streep's daughter, Mamie Gummer, plays the young Lila, and then Meryl shows up at the end of the film as the old Lila...in addition to an amazing resemblance (duh!) the younger actress did a great job (perhaps not quite up to her mom's caliber, but who is?) All others in this film were fine, although I wish there had been more of Glen Close and thought the Buddy character was alittle too dramatic.

This is more of a girls' movie than for the guys, but a good one to see with your mom, or your daughter, and maybe start some dialog going. How hard it is to really know a parent as a "person"!

Life as it is, 18 March 2007

I had never heard of this movie, but watched in on the IFC film channel. Did not recognize any of the actors, but within the first 5 minutes I was hooked. Every day people, some of them getting various "shocking" news delivered to them....and how they deal with it and how their lives intersect. One of the main characters, a relatively young man, is told in the very beginning of the story that he has cancer....testicular and it's already spread to his lungs. You really feel for him, and relate to all the things he goes through (montage flashbacks of his life, thoughts about all the things he has done that could have caused the cancer, imaging it taking over his body, etc. There are various animated segments, but not too many to be distracting. All the characters seem very believable, and you want things to work out for them. Happily, for the most part they do. A real gem of an indie!

Predictable, Improbable, Enjoyable, 15 December 2006

This is not a great movie.....maybe not even a good movie. But thanks to a good cast and a heart-warming story, it's not that bad. Could have been made 20 or 30 years ago, probably starring Doris Day and Rock Hudson and who knows who else? But it's been updated so there is sex on the first meeting, too much drinking, and other "current" traumas. But the basic premise is still looking for love in all the wrong places...and finding it in the least likely places. All the stars are easy on the eyes (although Jack Black looks more and more like Rose O'Donnell to me) and the sound track is recognizable, and it will be a movie to watch more than once. That being said, it won't be on the Oscars list. Take your mom, your teen-aged daughter, or just yourself and enjoy it for what it is....a fairy tale with a happy ending.

What if your life really WAS a book?, 5 October 2006

Fantasy movie, a la "Groundhog Day" where a man, Harold Crick in this case, finds he has no control over his life....which leads to him really appreciate his life. Although the premise is clearly fantasy, the concept is intriguing and compelling.

Cast is terrific; those who usually over-act, e.g. Dustin Hoffman and Will Ferrell, play it lower-keyed and believable. Emma Thompson, Queen Latifah and Maggie Gyllenhall (and Tom Hulce, almost unrecognizable in a single scene)round out the excellent cast .

A feel-good movie, mostly comedy but with some tragic undertones.

Close to two hours but you won't be looking at your watch very often.

Lots of fun and fashion fairy tale, 3 July 2006

You know the story by now, "good" girl gets sucked into the fashion-world; almost sells her soul but in the end, virtue triumphs. GREAT performance by Ms. Streep (does she ever give less than?) and Hathaway is believable in the young ingénue role. Tucci is fine; others are adequate but don't add much. The clothes aren't as great as "Sex in the City" but were styled by the same Patricia Fields. This movie would also be good for young girls, as it would (hopefully) make them realize that external beauty isn't all it's cracked up to be (or is it since the stars of the movie are all easy on the eyes). Have fun and don't take it too seriously (unless you are Anna Wintour).

Watching a Family Fall Apart and a Teen-aged Son Grow Up, 4 December 2005

This was a very moving, poignant movie; uncomfortable to watch at times since you are observing the autobiographical story of the end of a marriage and the impact on the two sons; one of whom initially sides with the father he idolizes. Over time, that son begins to see his father as a selfish, self-centered, arrogant intellectual who doesn't have much skill when it comes to fathering. This movie is about the son's growing up and seeing his father as a human being with faults, and his mother the same, but more sympathetically than he initially did. The acting is excellent and you wonder what the real life people this movie was based on thought after seeing it? Highly recommend but NOT a comedy, although there was lots of inappropriate audience laughter when I saw it.

Weird Weird Weird plus Sex, 23 November 2005

This movie reminded me of "Mulholland Drive" which was not one of my favorites....I kept waiting for it to end and it seemed to go on forever. This time we've got the comedy duo who were bit stars in the 1950's and has-beens 30 years later. But a young girl, star journalist, who is obsessed with them decides to investigate a dead body incident that basically killed their career. The plots and time eras jumped around a lot.....eventually I kept track of what time frame we were in by the toupees Kevin and Colin wore. Allison Lohman seemed too young and innocent looking for the role. There were many scenes of quite graphic sex; I am not a prude but was somewhat surprised by it. Anyhow, strange movie, not terrible but clearly not one Firth or Bacon will be remembered for (I hope).

Your Website for Weatherman has a MISTAKE!!, 3 November 2005

I tried to use your corrections page but it would not allow my correction!!! Michael Caine plays the father of Nicholas Cage but has a DIFFERENT LAST NAME because Nicholas Cage changed HIS name to "Spritz" because it was better for a weatherman. I believe the father's last name was "SpritzLER" or something similar. YOU NEED TO CORRECT YOUR LISTING OF THE CHARACTERS!!! I tried, but was thwarted by your website. Now I'll find out if you really read these boxes!! :) And now I have to add some more lines of text just to get this to be long enough for me to submit it for your review....this is really not fun but I am trying to be helpful!!! Hope someone responds to this. Barbara P. aka babsbnz@aol.com