Hitchcoc

Page 1 of 218:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Enterprise Women Have to Be More Careful About Hooking Up With Diplomats, 7 September 2014

Troi meets a handsome ambassador accompanied by what appears to be his mother. The mother is aggressive and vitriolic toward Deanna. When she dies, Troi participates in what is termed a funeral ritual, but in the process a sort of id impulse is transferred into her brain. She begins to act like a harlot, enticing men and becoming possessive of the ambassador. She is also beginning to age rapidly. It turns out that this guy has the ability to send his baser instincts to another person so that when he negotiates he is free of those negative things. The fact that the host dies doesn't seem to matter to him. He is manipulative and though good at negotiations, immoral. Picard tries to intervene, but there is a significant summit between to warring factions (isn't there always?) and he sees this as more important. Deanna lies, dying on an operating table, grey hair and wrinkles taking over. Interesting episode.

Barclay at Wit's End, 6 September 2014

Ensign Barclay is dreadfully afraid of the transporter. This has been so since his days at Starfleet Academy. When the Yosemite has been found floating with only one person aboard, he is expected to beam over and help Geordi with his analysis. Just as he is about to go, he runs from the transporter room. After Troi teaches him some relaxation techniques, he gives it another try and manages to beam over. One his return, a large wormlike creature with lamprey-like teeth comes at him while he is in the middle of the transport. He is panic stricken but because of his history, he doesn't tell anyone. What is happening to him is a part of the mystery on board the Yosemite. Finally, he needs to know and has O'Brien beam him over and back. The results are pretty amazing. This episode is thoughtful, but watching Barclay is like drinking too many cups of coffee. He literally bounces off the walls.

A Rather Contrived Ending, but Still Fun, 6 September 2014

There's a bit of Mark Twain in an episode that features his character. The whole crew finally ends up together along with Guinan. Data's dismembered head is the critical thing. After a narrow escape from the evil space cannibals, Data, driving a horse and buggy, drives everyone back to the aforementioned cave. There they are to meet their adversaries. All is going well until Mark Twain shows up and throws a monkey wrench into the works. All manage to escape to the Enterprise to continue pursuit, but Picard and Guinan are left behind along with the head of Data. Also in the cave is one of the dying aliens, who tells Picard that if the Enterprise attacks her planet, they will destroy themselves. Twain has caused huge damage to the process. He is going to cause more trouble so the crew beams him aboard. The way they ultimately get a message back to the ship is so far fetched that it is beyond the pale. Still, it is a bit of fun.

It's All in Data's Head, 6 September 2014

The Away team goes to a cave that had not been investigated for 500 years. In it they find a broken watch, a few other artifacts, and, most amazing of all, a tarnished and broken metallic head, that of Commander Data. Apparently, this head has been there all this time and is evidence of some intergalactic invasiveness into this century. Since Data is now alive, something must be done. In a delightful first half, Data finds himself in San Francisco around the turn of the century. He is so out of place, but it is San Francisco. He needs money and gets into a poker game. He rents a room and begins to build a device to go after a couple of time traveling cannibals. Along the way he runs in to Samuel Clemens and a young Jack London. He awaits the arrival of the rest of the crew to assist his efforts. Of course, there are numerous complications, among these the constant meddling of Clemens who believes there are aliens and they are up to no good.

An Unforgettable Episode, 6 September 2014

When I think of Next Generation, this episode is the one that I remember the most. A probe stations itself outside the Enterprise. As it is being investigated, Picard collapses. The crew rushes to his aid. Meanwhile, he suddenly awakens in a bed in a house on an Earth-like planet. He has a wife who is tending to him. She tells him he has had a fever for days. He is called by the name Kamin and seems to be a pillar of the community in which he resides. After investigating he is unable to solve the puzzle he finds himself in. The planet is in big trouble, due to a shortage of water and he tries to assist the populace, to no desired end. Eventually, over what must be decades, he fathers children and lives his life as a respected part of the world. Eventually his wife dies and he ages appropriately. He continues to experiment and try to find answers. The mind-blowing conclusion is not to be missed. The sensitive portrayal of all characters is marvelous. This is magnificent writing and superb television in any venue.

Please Keep the Theological Stuff Out of This. They Weren't Dead!, 5 September 2014

This is a very good episode. It has those nasty Romulans who can't back off, even when kindness is given to them. Their ship has been severely damaged and the Enterprise comes to the rescue. They rebuild their engine and get their ship up and going. In the process, Ro and LaForge are beamed back to the ship with an engine part, but in the process they are shoved into some sort of netherworld, able to move around the ship but unseen by the crew. After a period of time with no trace of them, the crew jumps to the conclusion that they are dead. This is really fast, considering the thoroughness that they usually take. By the way, they are not dead! This is not a religious experience! It's a transporter malfunction, brought on by the Romulans who are experimenting with another of their evil devices. After the Enterprise has done everything to show good faith, the scientists on board have planted something in the Enterprise that will destroy it when it goes to warp drive. Data is the key because of his tireless analysis of the ship. Geordi and Ro are really cute as sort of combatants and friends as they try to figure a way to be seen on board the ship. The crew deals with the "deaths" of the two which is touching and shows another side of them. Ro and Riker don't really get along and there is a overt tension throughout. It's a really good episode.

A Horrible Idea, 5 September 2014

Of all the characters on this series, the one I find the most tiresome is Beverly Crusher. She has this thing about the sacredness of life, which is fine, but she is also willing to allow something that has killed billions of life forms and wiped out whole civilizations, including a close encounter with earth, to come on board. The syrupy way this whole thing unfolds, with characters whose families and friends have been assimilated by these things falling lovingly for this menace, drove me crazy. Disagree with the idea of destroying the collective, but don't embrace this horror. On numerous occasions, Beverly has used her own prejudices and views to push people around, including Picard (who really disappoints me when she is around). Anyway, I'm getting all upset (I guess this is only a fictional series) so I shouldn't get so passionate, but it does portend to speak for a compassionate world, putting aside the foibles of previous civilizations. I'm waiting for Beverly to come on board and say, "Oh, I think the Romulans are really a good hearted people" as they fire on the enterprise. This Borg is bringing with it a huge threat to all living things, where they will continue, bee-like, at the center of the galaxy, with nothing left around them.

Off to a Great Start, 4 September 2014

Rocky and Bullwinkle was such a staple for me and my friends growing up. We were intelligent kids and this was intelligent animation. The Jay Ward factory created this unlikely couple, a rodent and a moose that commented on things during the Eisenhower administration and all that followed. They are as fresh today as they were then. In this first episode, the boys are spotted by astronomers, waving from the moon. It would seem that our moose friend baked a cake using his grandmother's formula. It exploded, sending their yet mortgaged stove to the moon. Upon their return (using another cake), they become celebrities. All efforts at space travel are forsaken so Bullwinkle can try to reproduce his formula (sadly, it was torn in half in the explosion). Of course, we are introduced to Boris Badinov and Natasha Fatale. They make their first effort to steal the formula and "keel" the moose.

Along with this, we see our first Fractured Fairy Tale, "Rapunzel" where a prince wanders in the woods for two years thinking he's blind (actually he didn't notice his hat was pulled over his eyes).

We are introduced to Mr. Peabody, who tells us how he adopted Sherman and how the Way Back Machine came to be. This is a pivotal entry in the series.

Tiresome, Preachy, Episode, 4 September 2014

I love children. I was a teacher for over forty years. I don't like this episode. Every tired bromide that one can use finds its way here. The little girl who is alone (even though she has a father who loves her and people who treat her with great joy) who has an imaginary friend. She eats with her friend and talks with her to the point her father calls in Troi to intervene. So when some force (as usual, a kind of Tinkerbell of light, enters the ship, it takes on the role of her friend. Apparently, she is visible to anyone who happens to be around when she shows up, but the bad, mean Enterprise crew forgets what it is like to be a child. This "child" proves to be a bad seed and has designs on the engineering section. She becomes furious, threatening the lives of the crew. She is annoyed that the little girl, Clara, can't do whatever she wants. She is domineering and pushy and possessive, yet she decides to punish them. She is part of a force in the nebula that is investigating the worthiness of the crew. Are all of them merely children, shortsighted and selfish. Anyway, the conclusion is absolutely as bad as anything I can imagine. I did think the choice of the little girl to play the nasty friend has a great face and a formidable presence.

Excellent Episode Featuring the Complexities of Picard, 4 September 2014

A "metamorph," who is someone groomed from childhood to serve a purpose, arrives on the Enterprise. She is to mate with a representative of a planet that is trying to avoid war. She is a gift. Two Ferengi nincompoops trying to kidnap her. knocking over her stasis chamber, forcing her to involve herself with the crew before she is really ready. She has the incredible ability to bond with men by being whatever they want her to be. It's very sexy and a bit dangerous. Riker is immediately taken in (surprise, surprise) but manages to keep his distance. Even Worf growls when she growls at him. Picard, doing everything he can to avoid interaction with her, becomes her soul-mate. He has such character and purpose that he is able to overcome his baser instincts and resist her. Still, they have encounters where he tries to let her know that as a sentient being, she should have rights. She tells him that this is her reason for existence. The scenes between the two of them are wonderful, tension abounding. Sadly, the guy she is to hook up with is a self-centered bureaucrat with no sentimentality or joyfulness. The Ferengi, in their efforts to do business with the escort/negotiator, almost kill him, and Picard must carry on the encounter with the two forces. I found this a very thoughtful episode with sad implications.

Page 1 of 218:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]