jv-5

Thumbs down...way down., 24 September 1999

Okay, so it might not have been the worst film I've ever seen, but it came awfully close. This tepid remake doesn't even come close to the original starring Steve McQueen. Brosnan can't replace Sean Connery as James Bond, what makes anyone think he can replace McQueen as Thomas Crown? Rene Russo was good, but it just wasn't enough to save the film. And the musical score was really awful. A better word would be annoying. (The Michel Legrand score from the original is classic film music at its absolute best!) So, enough said, if you want to see a classy, sexy film, rent the 1968 original.

Possibly one of the worst films of all time!, 24 September 1999

No, not just POSSIBLY one of the worst...it IS the worst film of all time. A real stinker. The director ought to be taken out and shot. If you ever get the urge to rent this piece of garbage--if you can even find it anywhere--do yourself a favor and rent something far more watchable, like "Plan 9 From Outer Space."

Don't expect much, but be pleasantly surprised!, 23 September 1999

Okay, so "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" isn't the scariest movie ever made, and it sure isn't the most technically proficient of films, but it is a creepy, spooky, entertaining 80+ minutes. I remember seeing this film when it came out back in 1972 and it's definitely stuck with me all these years. I just watched it again tonight and I'm glad I did. It was fun. So, check your brain at the door, turn off the lights, grab a bucket of popcorn and give this flick a viewing. I think you'll like what you see.

A special film..., 8 September 1999

"The Summer of '42" is an exceptional and touching film, one that holds a special place in American film history. It is not a film to be forgotten. And the musical score by Michel Legrand is easily one of the most beautiful ever produced. See this film!

A touching, moving film worthy of repeated viewing..., 11 August 1999

When I saw this film shortly after its initial release, I enjoyed it, but wasn't crazy about it. Then I saw it again. Then I saw it again...and again. The more I saw it, the more I really got into who these people were. I now consider it one of my favorite films. It's touched me in a way that few films have. William Hurt is wonderful, although not all that likable at times. But he's true-to-life and very "human" in this story and that makes his performance quite riveting. Geena Davis is wonderful, as is Kathleen Turner. (The rest of the cast is quite good, too.) And I love John Williams' beautiful musical score. I also have a great fondness for the locations used in the movie. That particular part of the country (Maryland) during the fall months, which is when the bulk of the film takes place, is truly stunning and so very cozy. Every year (always in November or December) I sit down with a cup of hot chocolate and watch this quirky, wonderful film.

C'mon, folks, it ain't that bad!, 20 July 1999

This version of "The Lost Horizon" is actually not a bad film at all. I think the problem is people like to pick on musicals, especially those made in the 70s. I saw the film upon its original release in 1973 (I was ten) and really enjoyed it, the music especially. (Burt Bacharach has always been a favorite.) The story is fun, the acting is good, and technically it's excellent. Sure, there are one or two rather silly dance numbers, but hey, you can't win 'em all. I have this film on video and watch it every so often...and I enjoy it each and every time!

One of the best of the genre!, 20 July 1999

"The Magnificent Seven" is an exciting and meaningful story with wonderful performances by great actors (Steve McQueen especially!). It contains a superb musical score and the cinematography is top-notch. Put it all together and you have a classic film that will be enjoyed for decades to come.

Le Mans (1971)
A classic "documentary"!, 17 July 1999

As the poster says, "Steve McQueen takes you for a ride in the country. The country is France. The drive is at 200MPH!" "Le Mans" is arguably the best film made about the sport of race car driving. What it lacks in story it more than makes up for in exciting race footage. No process shots, no rear screen projection. What you see is absolutely real. And Steve McQueen is, as always, just great. (McQueen drove race cars as a hobby so he knew what he was doing behind the wheel of that Porsche.) If you've never seen "Le Mans", rent it. But don't expect to see a regular movie, instead, expect to see a fine race documentary.

Way out, Baby!, 6 July 1999

This is one of those guilty pleasure movies. I'm not completely sure what the point of the story is, but who cares! It's really kind of fun to watch, just as long as you can check your brain at the door before you settle in to watch it. All those groovy costumes and crazy sets, and the acting is actually very good. And the photography and editing are interesting, too. Pay special attention to the final scene of the film. You'll get an extra chuckle out of it. Man, I guess I'm kind of relieved I was too young to understand what the late 60s were all about!

A good, old-fashioned action story!, 23 May 1999

THE MECHANIC is a well-made action film with very good performances by both Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent. Michael Winner's direction is taut and above-par. Some under-30 types might consider this film to be a bit "slow" as compared to action films of today, but THE MECHANIC is a film you have to put a modicum of thought into; it's almost more of a character study. And the ending is a shocker, something you won't soon forget. THE MECHANIC is truly a classic!