tmwest

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Forsaken (2015/I)
Is he going to react?, 22 May 2016

This is the type of western where the guy gets very provoked, it even starts bothering you, up to the moment that you are waiting for when he will react. It reminded me of "Destry Rides Again" and "The Violent Men" among others. Of course it lacks the directors those films had, they were superb George Marshall and Rudolph Maté, but Jon Cassar does a good job, specially in the shootouts. The three main actors Kiefer and Donald Sutheland and Demi Moore have a good performance, also the villains, Michael Wincott as Gentleman Dave Turner reminded me of Val Kilmer. Also Jonny Rees as Tom Watson is not dramatic enough considering the difficult situation he is in. Overall it is good to see a western that does not try to innovate or demystify and is certainly a good entertainment.

What about a new story or a new way of telling it?, 21 February 2016

Considering the fantastic reviews and prizes this film is getting I have to say it is not my cup of tea. Great cinematography, good actors, impressive fight with a bear, savage scenes...But what about a good story or better said a new way of telling a story? To say the story is conventional is an understatement. It reminds me of Dance with Wolves when I would like to see something like the wronged The Hateful Eight. The film leads you into thinking you are seeing something new because of the unusual beautiful scenery and the savage ways of the characters.It is like a candy in a new wrapping, when you open it is all the same...

Cool, tough and great dialogue!!, 5 January 2016

Some films are inspired by real life, others like Tarantino's, by other films. And if Django followed the track of Sergio Leone and the spaghettis here he turns to the tough, violent, budget conscious westerns of the fifties. It reminded me of two John Derek films "Ambush at Tomahawk Gap" for its toughness and "The Last Posse "besides the toughness, the flashbacks. Why were those films so significant for us, western lovers of the fifties? Because we were inundated with cheesy cowboy films of the Roy Rogers-Gene Autry kind, their cheesiness in a minor or major way present in most westerns of those times those two I mentioned not included, of course. And why this reference to "The Magnificent Seven"in the title? Because those seven were cool, man, those were cool! And Tarantino took the spirit of these films, he is cool, tough and great dialogue! Congrats Tarantino, you did it again!

A Pat Garrett of the Brazilian Northeast., 31 October 2015

When we see most of the films about Jesse James and specially Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" we feel how difficult it is to define who is the "good guy". The outlaws are fighting the sometimes dishonest business interests of the politicians, railroads, banks, etc. Antonio das Mortes is the Pat Garrett of the Brazilian Northeast. His mission is to kill the bandit Coirana. They even have a fight holding a scarf between their teeth reminiscent of the Jesse James' films "Kansas Raiders"(1950) and the future "The Long Riders"(1980). But this "Pat Garrett" will realize he is on the wrong side and fight for his redemption. Glauber Rocha combines vivid colors with absorbing words, sometimes in rhyme, and rapturous folkloric songs. He expresses his views in the western format, as would be done later by Tarantino.

Copper Sky (1957)
"The African Queen" goes West, 29 March 2015

One of the greatest romances on the screen was "The African Queen". That improbable affair between two persons with different social backgrounds had a fantastic chemistry. This western tells the same story and manages to keep the heat on with the beautiful and sexy Coleen Gray and the taciturn Jeff Morrow. Gray criticized her performance in this film in a book interview (Western Women), stating that without a director controlling her " I acted all over the place". Welcome Coleen, I enjoyed your performance, only wish we had more of it! Probably the director Charles Marquis Warren thought the same and stimulated her "acting all over". With a good screenplay by Eric Borden the story flows easily slowly building the the attraction between the two main characters. Great scene when Coleen bathes in the river. Nice, pleasing western.

This western keeps you tense from beginning to end!, 28 March 2015

This western keeps you tense from beginning to end. reminding one of "High Noon". James Coburn is Zach Provo, the cold blooded killer set upon getting his revenge on lawman Sam Burgade (Charlton Heston). Barbara Hershey is Susan, Burgade's daughter and she will be what Provo will use as a prey to get to Burgade. Provo would be a better villain if he did not talk so much at the final scenes, I missed the laconic Britt from "The Magnificent Seven". The rape scene is shocking and adds emotion to the final showdown, which is not deceiving, but also not up to the expectations. Still, this is one of the best directed by Andrew McLaglen. Christopher Mitchum is Hal Brickman, Susan's boyfriend and he brings to mind Jeffrey Hunter in "The Searchers".

River Lady (1948)
She loved that man and was bound to get him in spite of the River Lady!, 25 March 2015

Yvonne de Carlo did her share of mediocre westerns, but not this time. Here she is prettier than usual, also more subdued. The film takes place in a community of lumbermen who cut enormous trees. They also move them down the river. Also in the river there is the "River Lady" a boat where they gamble, managed by Sequin (Yvonne). Beauvais (Dan Duryea) is her partner in planning mischievous deals. But the great performance comes from Helena Carter (Stephanie), she is unforgettable as the woman who is not corresponded in her love for Dan Corrigan (Rod Cameron). A rare western, ignored in most anthologies efficiently directed by George Sherman in glorious Technicolor.

High Noon (2000) (TV)
There are stories that can always be told!, 21 March 2015

There are stories that can always be told. The original "High Noon" had the advantage of the technology of a time where westerns were almost mass produced. And it is one of the best westerns ever made. But this version is worth seeing, and more versions should be made as time goes by, including a version with an alternate ending where the whole town would fight against Miller and his gang. This story has an universal appeal. History tells us that sometimes populations stand up against injustice and sometimes like in Hadleyville they do not. Susanna Thompson is excellent as Amy, Tom Skerrit does a good job but it is hard to forget Gary Cooper. Good shootout at the end, a bit hard to believe, but then this is a movie we have to allow for some fantasy.

He got more than he gambled for in that poker game!, 18 March 2015

It is not easy for a guy with a very young face to be a star in a western. Audie Murphy could do it, but then he was a hero in real life. Tony Curtis also can do it and he comes out well in this entertaining and colorful western directed by Rudolph Mate. The supporting cast is remarkable. Arthur Kennedy as the not so bad guy, Coleen Gray  sexy, pretty and remarkably still in style, Peter Van Eyk the refined villain who thinks he rules the world. From the poker game at the beginning to the uncontrollable lynching mob at the end all goes very fast . Very good musical number "Gypsy with the Fire in his Shoes" performed by Coleen Gray composed by Laurindo Almeida and Peggy Lee.

now is the perfect time to see it!, 8 March 2015

Seeing this film's title might bring to mind all those unfunny western spoofs which used to show up once in a while. But here they hit the bull's eye. This film is great fun from beginning to end. It starts with a young Freddie (Betty Grable) being taught how to shoot by her grandfather. She becomes a dead shot. Next she is singing in a saloon a nice melody "Every Time I Meet You". Problem is, she is carrying a gun with the intention of getting even with her boyfriend Blackie (Cesar Romero) who is betraying her. She shoots the wrong person and has to flee the town. She becomes a school teacher and has the most terrible pair of pupils, the Basserman Boys. Those boys are just as terrible as they are funny. There is a final shootout where at a certain point there is no reason for fighting. I always thought Preston Sturges was ahead of his times, but if you want to have fun with a great comedy, the time is perfect now.

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]