Marty-G

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"so bad it's good" cliché proved to be right!, 9 June 2005

Terrible plot, awful dialog, appallingly bad acting, wooden script... I loved every minute of it!

I know it's fashionable to talk about being into things that are "so bad they're good", but I believe The Day After Tomorrow actually lives up to this premise quite well - and I mean that as praise! It's terribly hackneyed stuff, but it's almost like the movie is aware of how bad it is, and deliberately plays on that. So instead, it actually becomes pretty interesting seeing where the hell it's going to turn next. My favorite part: the irrelevancy of the ravenous wolves was a masterstroke. Totally random, but such fun. Also, the fact that the folks in Europe (Ian Holm and his crew) kind of just... well, disappeared - died maybe? Who knows? It wasn't explained, or did I miss something? The dude in the library saving the Guttenburg Bible... priceless. Rent this mindless entertainment because you know what? It's complete and utter FUN.

weak, 16 January 2004

No doubt about it, Winged Migration is a stunning achievement technically, and I had high hopes for it. And yes, it's quite mesmerising to see the birds close up and in flight... some shots are truly breathtaking. However, the new age music that plays throughout is horribly grating and spoils the atmosphere somewhat, and the narration is weak and doesn't offer any information. If they intended this movie to be a learning device, they should've made more effort with the narration. If, however, they wanted this to be purely a 'visual feast', perhaps they should've left the narration out altogether. A lack of passion and some sloppy editing spoil what could've been a spectacular film, as well as the movie's overt political agenda showing trapped birds in the Amazon, hunters shooting ducks, some great big threshing machine powering along... screw that! I didn't learn too much about migration from the film, even though the title suggests this.

tranquilizer, 16 November 2003

I still keep What Time is it There? in my DVD collection because I find it to be a wonderful sleep aid. For a film of two hours it feels more like three days, and I have never been able to watch the entire thing all the way through. But when I do decide to give it another viewing, I find myself slowly drifting off again and again - so it's the perfect tranquilizer.

I must say, I love some slow-moving films, and I don't mind a bit of art-house cinema here and there, but unfortunately What Time is it There? is not even engrossing enough to keep the viewer vaguely interested, unless you like watching some guy wee in a bottle.

blame the filmmaker, not the subject!, 15 February 2003

So I want to start by saying that I like skateboarding and skateboard culture, but I was hugely disappointed by Dogtown & Z-Boys.

The film is so self-indulgent, it gets dull pretty quick. There's little objectivity here, and most of the time we're witnessing those involved patting themselves on the back, and it's pretty boring.

No denying, these Dogtown kids had a huge influence on skateboard culture, and were both hugely talented and highly important figures, but frankly, this movie feels like it was made by them and for them. I can imagine that those without an interest in skateboarding culture would really find this a horribly unimaginative and uninspiring piece of filmmaking. I'm interested in it, yet I felt the same way too.

The cut and paste "we don't care" punk rock style of editing is another annoying factor we've witnessed a million times before in lame MTV videos, so that doesn't help proceedings. Nor do I want to see some guy saying that a skater "had the hardest life in the world" just because he was a talented boarder who took too many drugs and got in trouble. That isn't a hard life. Try being a kid in a third-world slum who doesn't even have running water or a roof above his head... that's a hard life.

So Dogtown & Z-Boys lacks perspective. It's a worthy subject that should've been handled better and in a more objective manner. It feels like everyone involved is way too self-congratulatory, and that's a shame because these important cultural figures instead come across as little arrogant brats who never really grew up... and I know for a fact that they're way more interesting characters than that.

Snatch (2000)
in the quiet words of the virgin mary... come again, 26 January 2003

Snatch has a convoluted and preposterous plot. It's also full of dreadful London gangster stereotypes. But this isn't going to be a negative review. In fact, Snatch is a hugely enjoyable film. It's very dynamic, and a marked improvement on Ritchie's previous Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, which certainly had its moments too. Snatch is full of memorable lines and great humor. The editing and direction keeps the film moving at a cracking pace, and there's always something happening so it never drags. It possesses a great soundtrack, and excellent performances from an eclectic selection of colorful characters: Alan Ford's 'Brick Top' has to be one of the most despicable yet highly amusing gangster characters ever to grace the silver screen. Worth noting too is the excellent presentation and content of the Region 1 DVD release. Just remember to beware of 'ze Germans', and don't expect too much substance, but enjoy the style and great escapism that Snatch offers.

Dreadful, 19 January 2003

Kevin Smith has only made one good movie, and that was Clerks. In fact, Clerks was fantastic, and he's never matched it. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back has only one or two funny moments in it, and these are delivered by the other stars who make cameos in the film... so go figure. As a parody, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back doesn't work because most of the parodies fall completely flat, or else are horribly self-indulgent. Chris Rock delivers the funniest line in the film when he says he thought up the idea of Sesame Street first and he called it NWP - Niggas with Puppets. Now THAT was funny, but little else in the movie is, sadly. Definitely a turkey, and I tried to enjoy it because I think Kevin Smith has talent. Too bad he didn't pull it off with Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, but hey, he can probably make a dick joke about that comment anyway.

Yi Yi (2000)
utterly compelling, 18 January 2003

Admittedly, I was a little skeptical that this long and fairly slow-moving movie would be able to hold my attention throughout its 173 minute running time - how wrong I was to be skeptical! Yi Yi is a thoroughly captivating film that I enjoyed immensely, and I completely enjoyed every moment of it. The director's technique of filming a lot through windows and at wide angles gives it an almost voyeuristic feel, but this doesn't alienate the viewer, instead it gives the feeling you're watching real lives unfold, a kind of privileged 'fly on the wall' style, and the 'slice-of-life' term often used to describe Yi Yi is appropriate. The film manages to balance humor, sensitivity, and emotion. It's beautifully shot, sensitively directed, and incredibly well acted by all involved. It sounds like a cliche to say it, but it is one of those movies that has everything: cute kids, family dysfunction, reminisces of decisions made in the past, regret, love, hope, and beauty. It's an uplifting piece of filmmaking but also tinged with sadness, very human, and utterly absorbing.

preposterous, 17 December 2002

Dreadful piece of film-making that plods along at a snail's pace and ends up going nowhere. John Malkovich's over-acting is laughable as he struts around shouting commands with his faux German accent, and Eddie Izzard once again proves how he gets away with being Eddie Izzard in every film he tries to act in, instead of the character he's supposed to be playing. Willem Dafoe is an impressive actor, but the material here is too weak to save him, what with the film's tiresome script and sloppy editing that ensures boredom sets in before you're even half way through.

great television, 1 December 2002

I never caught this on TV, but I bought the DVDs, and am very happy I did! What a great show. In turns funny, touching, intelligent, entertaining... this show covered all the bases.

The chemistry between the characters is just phenomenal, one or two episodes in, things really start warming up and you find yourself completely hooked.

Great writing on TV doesn't come along that often, but Sports Night (except for the occasional smart-ass moment) proves to be as well-written as anything I've ever seen... it's amazing what they managed to squeeze in in these 20 minute episodes.

And don't worry if you're not a sports fan - you don't have to be to enjoy this show.

The DVD box set is unbelievably plain - 42 episodes and that's it - no booklet, no supplements, no commentary. But fortunately, the material itself is so good, I can forgive Buena Vista for this. Also, the laugh track is a little infuriating to begin with, but it gets toned down in later Season 1 episodes, and removed altogether later in Season 2.

spectacular, 11 November 2002

There's very few movies based on novels out there that are as well as adapted as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Even though Ken Kesey's novel is an incredible tour-de-force, the movie version is just as excellent, albeit in a different way. Though the book takes a different approach (it's written from Chief Broden's perspective), and has a few more interesting twists and turns, the movie version is still amazing, and it works brilliantly. The acting by every single actor in this film is near-on perfect - the performaces are all extremely well realized. The direction adds to the incredible atmosphere, and the story works very well too. There's moments of pure emotion in the movie - whether they be humor or sadness - and the whole thing is gripping, entertaining, shocking, and, well, just plain wonderful.

It's worth getting hold of the recently-released 2 DVD set. As well as a great widescreen transfer, the documentary about the making of the film is a wonderful insight into the process, and what the actors had to go through to bring the movie to life. There's also a selection of very interesting deleted scenes that add another dimension to the movie, and will be very apparent to readers of the novel. Definitely on my top ten list, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the finest examples of filmmaking out there.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]