Reviews

46 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Party Monster (2003)
Comes close to getting it right.
21 July 2004
I was there in NYC in 1992 with a subscription to Project X

Magazine and going to Disco 2000 at the Limelight. Who ever

thought Clara the Dancing Chicken would make it into a movie?

Nightlife movies have a hard time, maybe it's always going to be a

problem trying to show you something that has to be felt. Even in

1995 when Party Girl came out, I made up my mind that movies

were never going to get it right. Where Party Monster succeeds is

in its focus on the people and their interactions. You can only

watch people dancing so much, and in the end it only proves to be

eye candy. Party Monster also succeeds in stepping out of the

Limelight and showing more aspects of the 90's culture as a

whole (e.g. the Geraldo Rivera shows). Of course this movie isn't

totally accurate, it isn't a documentary, but it is entertaining and

does come close to giving you a feel for the whole time and place.
Mausoleum (1983)
Back when they made crappy 80's horror flicks every week.
30 August 2003
I remember seeing this one when it came out on video in the 80's. It does have a cool title, and was a VERY bad movie. The best part is La Wanda Page,Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son, who sees some green smoke coming out from under a green door - repeats "No More Green Smoke!" over and over as she runs out of the house and catches a cab and you don't see her again for the entire movie! Classic.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie I was forced to watch over and over again in the 70's.
12 February 2002
I have not seen this movie since the 70's but the damage has been done. My father used to take me to special screenings of this and rent it on reel to reel (egad) film projectors and show it to the youth in our group. Horrifying with the constant violence, and politics of youth. Ends with the main hero getting shot to death (that's early 70's cinema for you - end on a major bummer)! Why was I shown this, I was too young...
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Flesh Gordon (1974)
The classic camp sexploitation flick everyone talks about.
28 June 2001
To this day this is still one of the first of the sexploitation flicks that everyone talks about. Crappy production values, and so much like other early seventies fare like The Swinging Cheerleaders. I saw this about ten years ago when I was at USC and a friend of mine said one of his teachers worked on this under a fake name!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Children of the Night (1985 TV Movie)
Eighties trauma drama extraordinaire.
22 May 2001
I cant' believe I remember this movie all to well from back in 1985! It seems just like yesterday. Very gritty and very realistic. I remember being scared to death by this when I was a pre-teen. An excellent book called Seeing Through the Eighties by Jane Feuer references this movie several time. Excellent
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Day at a Time (1975–1984)
The classic sitcom that broke the mold.
4 January 2001
How can a four year old remember the pilot episode of a show? I don't know, but I do. Groundbreaking at the time, it actually featured a divorced mother with her two kids. Very topical, and sedate by today's standards, this show was a huge hit. Of all the people on this show who would have thought Valerie Bertenelli would have the biggest career? And who knew McKenzie Phillips was on heroin? Totally watched during the seventies but everyone pretty much was over it by the early eighties. Still one of the coolest shows of the seventies.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965 TV Short)
The ritual for everyone ages 25-40.
4 January 2001
Who cannot remember how important these CBS specials were to us kids growing up in the 60's/70's. We would sit mesmerized by the special psychedelic "CBS Special" logo and could barely contain ourselves. The people who made these probably have no idea how powerful they ended up being. The aluminum christmas tree, the peanuts dance, and Linus rendition of the birth of jesus.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The ultimate glitter rock movie of all time.
29 November 2000
The movie that pinned down the glam rock movement as it was happening in the early seventies. Perfect send up of Phantom of the Opera and the rock music scene. Check out the hilarious glitter rock performances by The Undead and Beef. A dark classic, which showed the way De Palma was heading with his next film Carrie.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charlie's Angels: Charlie's Angels (1976)
Season 1, Episode 0
The much maligned show that started it all.
11 November 2000
This was the show that started it all for me. Right up there with Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman. Dismissed at the time as jiggle television, most agree now that it was much more than that. Part of the trickle down effect feminism of the late sixties/early seventies. TVLand has been rerunning all the episodes to tie-in with the movie and it has brought back many memories. My favorite episode is still Angels In Chains. Most people agree the show was over by the time Shelly Hack was in, and who even remembers that Tanya Roberts was in it?
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See Jennifer Jason Leigh do bulimia.
8 June 2000
Showing sparks of talent Jennifer Jason Leigh plays a depressed early eighties teen living with a super-controlling father and usual family of idiots. Very well done and very ahead of it's time even if the soundtrack is a little too REO Speedwagon.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seventies gore/freak fest of the best kind.
8 June 2000
This was one of those movies discovered by me and my twisted high school friends in the eighties when they released just about everything on video. Campy, crazy, gory, hilarious. We watched this movie over and over (along with Carnal Madness) and were fascinated as well as horrified.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite Bond film of the seventies.
8 June 2000
Following the Bond film trend of staying with the times we have the women's lib female equal of James in the form of Major Anya Amasova (Barbara Bach). Despite the constant reminder of how she is Bond's equal she get's her butt kicked by Jaws on a train and ends up getting rescued twice by Bond. Still, for the time it was a major breakthrough over ditzy Bond sidekicks like Goodknight (Man With the Golden Gun).
Pumping Iron (1977)
See the Terminator smoke a joint.
8 June 2000
Great documentary on the seventies world of the Mr. Universe title. See the future President's Counciler on Physical Fitness smoke a joint on camera! Rumours said Arnold himself was trying to yank this sucker out of distribution in the early 90's so it wouldn't screw with his right wing image.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See Jan Brady play a teenage hooker.
8 June 2000
Why won't they release this on video! This is the role where Eve Plumb finally buried Jan Brady and showed she had range. A little weird seeing Jan working it to the sounds of "Cherry Bomb" by the Runaways but an absolute classic.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bionic Woman (1976–1978)
Lindsay Wagner enters the pop pantheon of seventies tv divas.
8 June 2000
This show (along with Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels) damaged me for life. As the female counterpart to Steve Austin's six million dollar man she held her own against such horrors as Bigfoot (gave me nightmares as a child) to the evil fembots (ripped off in Austin Powers). This show was a classic in every sense of the word and Wagner never recovered fully from the typecasting that came with the territory.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Go Ask Alice (1973 TV Movie)
Cult classic, based on famous sixties book, turned into good show.
8 June 2000
Finally this classic has made it to video. I remember reading the book in high school and then being upset that the movie version was very seventies whereas the book was very sixties. The horror of seeing one of your favorite books being acted out by Marcia Brady clones in platform shoes in the eighties was not very cool. Now on repeated viewing it ranks up there as one of the best movies on seventies teen drug culture ever done. Too bad they never made the follow up book Jay's Journal into a movie.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Russ Meyer does it right in this hippie skin flick.
8 June 2000
Hard to believe that Roger Ebert wrote this (actually hard to believe anybody wrote this)! Breasts, bad sixties rock, drugs, you name it. This movie wipes the floor with Valley of the Dolls but that's really comparing apples and oranges. This movie is fast, crazy, and cool. Hilarious dialogue, costumes, and a far out ending that must be seen to be believed! Right on Z Man!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shields and Yarnell (1977–1978)
Before mime became a four letter word.
19 August 1999
This show was beloved by me as a child. The best part was when they would perform as the robot couple. Variations on this were very popular when everyone was doing the Robot at discos across the country. Where are they now?
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Isis (1975–1976)
Oh Mighty Isis.
19 August 1999
Much loved show from the seventies in constant saturday morning rerun for the second half of the decade on saturday mornings. Part of the Shazam/Isis hour. My hazy memory also throws in memories of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl with this one. Comparisons to network show Wonder Woman are like comparing apples and oranges...
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The title says it all.
10 August 1999
Campy exploitation flick that my friends and I would watch over and over on home video in the 80's. We would start off by watching Reform School Girls with Wendy O. Williams (RIP) and then move on to Delinquent School Girls and top it off with this one. It's totally disgusting and in the same league as Pink Flamingos. If your into hilarious trash this is it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Frogs (1972)
See Joan Van Ark battle against killer frogs!
10 August 1999
Campy southern seventies style horror flick. See a very young looking Joan Van Ark wear a far out polyester disco number. See killer frogs attack her mansion. See bad, seventies character types like the liberated feminist black chick in the african mumu.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See Racquel Welch as a post op transsexual, Farah Fawcett as a lesbian, and Rex Reed as a good looking ghost.
15 January 1999
Finally released on video, this classic is right up there with Valley of the Dolls for early seventies camp value. Racquel Welch as a post op transsexual is insane as is the rest of this movie. I thought I had seen it all.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Swinging Seventies school girl exploitation movie.
14 January 1999
Much like the Swinging Cheerleaders movie released the same year this one is a sex-ploitation flick in the first degree. Sickos, perverts, and Penny Hot Pants make this one a riot. My best friend in high school and I would rented this one over and over again in the eighties.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Showgirls (1995)
The new gay classic.
14 January 1999
It is now official. Valley of the Dolls has been replaced with an even campier film. I have attended three Showgirls parties in West Hollywood since this film came out on video - I think that makes it offical. When Naomi is in the car eating a hamburger and doing it so dramatically the official line to yell at her? "You eat that hamburger, girl!"
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Video version of classic seventies sexploitation flick.
14 January 1999
This is the video release of the 1974 movie of the same name. Released on Vestron Video like many other exploitation films. It was part of the first wave of early eighties of video tapes where they would release anything done in color that was fairly recent because they were so starved for product. Ahhh the good old days!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this