jeff-150

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Comes close to getting it right., 21 July 2004

I was there in NYC in 1992 with a subscription to Project X

Magazine and going to Disco 2000 at the Limelight. Who ever

thought Clara the Dancing Chicken would make it into a movie?

Nightlife movies have a hard time, maybe it's always going to be a

eye candy. Party Monster also succeeds in stepping out of the

Limelight and showing more aspects of the 90's culture as a

whole (e.g. the Geraldo Rivera shows). Of course this movie isn't

totally accurate, it isn't a documentary, but it is entertaining and

does come close to giving you a feel for the whole time and place.

Comes close to getting it right., 21 July 2004

I was there in NYC in 1992 with a subscription to Project X

Magazine and going to Disco 2000 at the Limelight. Who ever

thought Clara the Dancing Chicken would make it into a movie?

Nightlife movies have a hard time, maybe it's always going to be a

eye candy. Party Monster also succeeds in stepping out of the

Limelight and showing more aspects of the 90's culture as a

whole (e.g. the Geraldo Rivera shows). Of course this movie isn't

totally accurate, it isn't a documentary, but it is entertaining and

does come close to giving you a feel for the whole time and place.

Mausoleum (1983)
Back when they made crappy 80's horror flicks every week., 30 August 2003

I remember seeing this one when it came out on video in the 80's. It does have a cool title, and was a VERY bad movie. The best part is La Wanda Page,Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son, who sees some green smoke coming out from under a green door - repeats "No More Green Smoke!" over and over as she runs out of the house and catches a cab and you don't see her again for the entire movie! Classic.

A movie I was forced to watch over and over again in the 70's., 12 February 2002

I have not seen this movie since the 70's but the damage has been done. My father used to take me to special screenings of this and rent it on reel to reel (egad) film projectors and show it to the youth in our group. Horrifying with the constant violence, and politics of youth. Ends with the main hero getting shot to death (that's early 70's cinema for you - end on a major bummer)! Why was I shown this, I was too young...

The classic camp sexploitation flick everyone talks about., 28 June 2001

To this day this is still one of the first of the sexploitation flicks that everyone talks about. Crappy production values, and so much like other early seventies fare like The Swinging Cheerleaders. I saw this about ten years ago when I was at USC and a friend of mine said one of his teachers worked on this under a fake name!

Eighties trauma drama extraordinaire., 22 May 2001

I cant' believe I remember this movie all to well from back in 1985! It seems just like yesterday. Very gritty and very realistic. I remember being scared to death by this when I was a pre-teen. An excellent book called Seeing Through the Eighties by Jane Feuer references this movie several time. Excellent

The classic sitcom that broke the mold., 4 January 2001

How can a four year old remember the pilot episode of a show? I don't know, but I do. Groundbreaking at the time, it actually featured a divorced mother with her two kids. Very topical, and sedate by today's standards, this show was a huge hit. Of all the people on this show who would have thought Valerie Bertenelli would have the biggest career? And who knew McKenzie Phillips was on heroin? Totally watched during the seventies but everyone pretty much was over it by the early eighties. Still one of the coolest shows of the seventies.

The ritual for everyone ages 25-40., 4 January 2001

Who cannot remember how important these CBS specials were to us kids growing up in the 60's/70's. We would sit mesmerized by the special psychedelic "CBS Special" logo and could barely contain ourselves. The people who made these probably have no idea how powerful they ended up being. The aluminum christmas tree, the peanuts dance, and Linus rendition of the birth of jesus.

The ultimate glitter rock movie of all time., 29 November 2000

The movie that pinned down the glam rock movement as it was happening in the early seventies. Perfect send up of Phantom of the Opera and the rock music scene. Check out the hilarious glitter rock performances by The Undead and Beef. A dark classic, which showed the way De Palma was heading with his next film Carrie.

The much maligned show that started it all., 11 November 2000

This was the show that started it all for me. Right up there with Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman. Dismissed at the time as jiggle television, most agree now that it was much more than that. Part of the trickle down effect feminism of the late sixties/early seventies. TVLand has been rerunning all the episodes to tie-in with the movie and it has brought back many memories. My favorite episode is still Angels In Chains. Most people agree the show was over by the time Shelly Hack was in, and who even remembers that Tanya Roberts was in it?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]