Stephen-35

Perhaps one of the saddest movies ever made?, 12 January 1999

To learn that Peter Sellers spent the last ten years of his life dedicated to producing this film, reluctantly taking parts in the Pink Panther series to gain enough money to do so, is dedication enough to tell you that this film meant a lot to Sellers.

It is sad that Sellers died just one year after completing the film, which to me stands as a testament to his talent.

Being There was not a successful film, indeed many people have never heard of it. If you haven't seen it, track it down. It is one of the most touching films I have ever seen.

Black Rain (1989)
Where predictability is acceptable, 12 January 1999

Each review I have seen of Scott's Black Rain claims that it is predictable. Does this matter?

Black Rain is a very good film, it mixes a reasonably good plot with excellent photography, soundtrack and style.

There are two scenes which put the film down (the bike chase at the beginning and end) but otherwise Black Rain is a highly underrated film, worthy of some acclaim.

A modern day Yakuzza.

A marketing man's pitch, 12 January 1999

This is one of those films where you can imagine the pitch...."three divorced women join forces to get revenge on their rich ex-husbands......." From this the cast is predictable and the script writes itself.

This film would have been more appropriate in the 80's but in the 90's it makes a mockery of women's independence. And I'm a man!

I was surprised that this was a successful film, in a decade where cinema audiences are demanding more from filmmakers, along comes The First Wives Club. What went wrong?

The greatest film ever made?, 10 January 1999

I thank my father for introducing me to the movies, he used to record films off the tv when we first got our VCR, and Blade Runner was one of those films. A film that has remained fixed in my mind ever since.

As a child it appealed to me because it was mysterious and action- packed, as an adult it appeals on a much deeper level. It is not a film that can be seen just once. If you really watch it, each viewing will show you more, as if it were made up of hundreds of sub-plots that were hidden to the naked eye.

A futuristic noir, the kind of imagery Edward Hopper might have painted, it's blend of science fiction, action and romance alongside the on-screen presence of Ford and the much imitated performance of Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner is perhaps one of the greatest films of all time.