Welly-2

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

An absolute belter, 10 February 2008

This is a magnificent film and all the better for this being such a surprise. There's a quiet dread when you watch any film that claims to be about sport, especially when so many of its stars are credited to appear. Wooden and contrived come to mind. This throws all such stereotypes out of the window and is a wonderful and thoughtful classic.

There is humour and a great deal of emotion, there is also a splendid performance from Jack Warner who really surprised me with his sensitive portrayal of a proud cricketer and father. Robert Morley hams it up as usual and there is the delight of a Richard Wattis cameo to add icing to this wonderful cake.

All in all, this is a joy to watch; intelligent and witty thanks to Terrance Rattigan's sharp script. I love cricket, but those that know nothing of it will still get a great deal of pleasure from this cracking film.

Kept my daftness-o-meter registering 'full'., 8 February 2008

Few things are better in a film than straight-faced hokum. The idea that the world will end as a new planet crashes into it is a sobering plot but the way it's dealt with here has more holes in it that my old gardening jumper. And that's what makes it a great watch. Apologies to the makers of the film who doubtlessly were keen to make it a believable and dramatic journey, but the daftness just keeps overwhelming things.

There is an attempt at a love story, which is as pointless and usual in such films, there is some tremendous 'Boffin Action' as middle-aged men pull serious faces and pretend to be scientists, and there is some outstanding nonsense as a small boy is rescued from a roof and is made one of the 40 passengers to be saved on the rocket at the whim of one of the boffins. Great stuff! Just as you thought the apex had been reached and your daftness-o-meter was registering full, the rocket reaches the new planet (using a technique new to Newton) and reveals it to be nothing but a painting created by the same people that create charity Christmas cards painted using only their feet. Amazing.

Watch this film with some friends, a beer or two and enjoy the merry banter as the silliness is commented on by all and sundry. Great stuff!

Doris tries, but this is a flawed film, 6 February 2008

You can't ever complain about a Doris Day film, she brings a smile to the screen whenever she appears. This particular film, however, isn't quite in the league of most of her others. I'm not certain why that is, maybe it's because I find Rod Taylor very 2D or maybe it was because the plot became annoying as it got more contrived. This was obviously a film made from a play and you struggle to buy-in to the fact that this couple don't have a really serious problem if they are so swiftly prepared to believe in each other's infidelities.

The drunken Doris in Paris is almost upsetting because you just want to protect her and the modern view of the rest of the goings-on that the business convention seems to require don't sit comfortably. Doris is tremendous throughout, of course, and it's good to see the feisty side as well as the cute. I wasn't going to bother re-watching it if it came onto the telly again, but now I know you can spot Raquel Welch in the hotel lobby I might. A Doris and Raquel film.....there's a thing!

Fascinating and impressive, even today, 5 February 2008

As films made in 1925 go, this is a cracker. It's not going to be the sort of thing you rent to watch when your Mum comes to stay over Christmas and it's not got much chance of getting chosen on an areoplane if The Fifth Element or Planet of the Apes are available, but it deserves great credit for even competing against the modern films.

The fascination comes in seeing both footage shot 80 years ago and in seeing a snap shot of post-tsarist Russia. That the latter turned so sour dulls the enthusiasm of the modern viewer but it is, nevertheless, historically fascinating. As a piece of cinema it is also powerful and impressive....I'm no expert, but you can see there is real talent at work here from the director. The number of memorable scenes from the film are a testament to its impact even today.

Yellow magic, 5 February 2008

It's always possible that a film version of a half hour program is going to disappoint. How could you ever doubt the Simpsons, however. The quality of writing is tremendous and this film sustains the ridiculously high standard throughout. The key to how any film has been enjoyed is often the amount of time it feels like it took to watch. Well, in one respect this felt like it took five minutes whilst in another they seemed to pack in enough for three films. Both are high praise.

The jokes are non-stop even if you may have to be a Simpsons fan to get many of them. There is some plot but that doesn't spoil the show! And if you could pick a couple of highlights from among so many, then the nude skateboarding scene and the spider pig scene are gold-dust!

Tremendous fun, 5 February 2008

Tremendous fun both as a film and as an excuse to sit back and play the 'oh, that's whassis name' game. Every star of the golden age of English films seems to be in this one and it was a joy to see them. And the greatest of them all, Richard Wattis, was as tremendous as ever.

There is actually a plot that trundles along very nicely, there's also some splendid jokes and comedic moments, but the key to this films triumph is the characters within it. Alastair Sim is magnificent and somehow convinces you that a six foot, big-boned Scotsman could be the headmistress of a girl's boarding school. George Cole, Beryl Reid and Irene Handl all have their moments but, with Alastair and Richard, the star of the show is Joyce Grenfell. She is an absolute one-off and brings a smile whenever she's on the screen...her rolling-walk and plum accent done to perfection.

And for those playing the , that's whassis name' game, you can even spot Arthur Mullard, Barbara Windsor and Ronald Searle if you look carefully.

Wonderful nonsense, 29 January 2008

Apparently this is also known as 'Murder, My Sweet' after its original title fooled people into thinking it was a musical...having watched it I can confirm that it's probably the furthest from a musical you'll get in a film. With all the gruff-voiced moody faux-menace you'd expect from a Raymond Chandler book this is a great piece of nonsense that raises many a smile even though it wasn't meant to. A 21st century audience is never going to take the dialogue, or the plot, very seriously but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable and entertaining. How can a film with the line "She had a brain like a plummer's hankie" not be worthwhile?! The acting is a bit wooden though Dick Powell ends up as being quite a success. The murky lighting and the daft stereotypes all become part of the fun. A diverting time was had, my wife and I chatted whilst watching the fun, and all was good in the world.

Wonderful nonsense, 29 January 2008

Perfect plot imperfectly told, 29 January 2008

My expectation when watching this was sky-high, and that's never a good thing. I remember seeing it once before and that it made a huge impression on me. I can still see why, but it was not the film I first thought it would be. Any film that has as a plot the fact a chap wakes up and there is nobody left in the world is OK by me. It's a favourite plot line and gets the imagination running in every direction. Sadly this film doesn't live-up to the high expectations, though there may not be any film that could.

The mumbling performance of Bruno Lawrence isn't the best and the promising start crumbles somewhat as he goes mad then meets a, surprise, surprise, young girl whose also survived the 'effect'. The silly science doesn't help matters and heaven knows what the ending is all about. I can cope with a thoughtful, puzzling finish but this was too daft.

Thoughtful, powerful and disturbing., 25 January 2008

The best thing about this film is that it is an intelligent one. It gives an idea time and it doesn't drown science fiction in lasers, monsters and daft romantic tangents. It asks serious questions about real subjects....can we be trusted with atomic power, what is our place in the bigger scheme of things, what are we achieving apart from internal fighting. The understated but powerful way the arrival of an alien shows up our smallness is tremendous and very affecting.

Usually such films are diluted when the camera turns away from the special effects and concentrates on the domestic, here the opposite is true. The conversations and actions of ordinary people to the extraordinary events is where the films real value lies. As a human living on this planet it is quite amazing how completely you side with the alien against your own kind throughout the film. It's a disturbing truth, very subtly extracted by a wonderful film. It ranks as highly as Silent Running, which is praise indeed.

Bottom line....a smart and thoughtful masterpiece.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]