macpherr

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

That is Cultural Shock!, 9 February 2004

Sofia Coppola (`The Virgin Suicide') wrote and directed this movie. I watched and had a few laughs. I fail to see the movie as a comedy per se though. It is actually sad to be alone abroad with no one to talk to, and to not understanding the language, habits, etc. All those people have cultural shock. I think it should be called `Cultural Shock' instead of `Lost in Translation.' I do not speak nor understand Japanese so I cannot tell if is there were things lost in translation. I know that some languages take at least a full sentences if not more, to translate in one English word. I know that is the case in the romance languages, like Portuguese, for instance. They are just wordier. That is why multilinguals talking to an English speaking person in a foreign language, will insert words in English, because there are no equivalent words. I think that she conveyed the idea of a cultural shock really well, and turned such a simple feeling into an Oscar nominated movie. That is what good movies are all about, making the audience re-live their own lives. A brilliant concept and well deserved nomination for Sofia. She is the first woman director to be nominated for an Oscar, and wish she would win, but this year I have the feeling the statuette will go to the hobbits.

I don't get it, I am not into that type of movie. Bill Murray ( `Ghostbusters II') `Bob Harris' has a great character and great job. The guy is seriously doing his job and I look at him and laugh. Well deserved Golden Globe, and could have 'thunk' that it was true that he fired his agent and his personal trainer committed suicide. That what I am saying, he is telling us something terrible sad, and we think he is joking. Scarlett Johansson (`Girl with a Pearl Earring') `Griet' is a very good actress with a very promising future before her. My favorite Scene: Bob Harris getting on the elevator, he looks like King Kong. When he stops the can to say good bye to the only blond in town. My favorite quote: Bob: `What kind of restaurant makes you cook your own food?' I highly recommend this movie. That is exactly how you feel in a different culture. It took me back to so many places I ‘ve been to.

Great Idea! 10 out of 10.

Great role for a woman!, 9 February 2004

Diane Lane (`Unfaithful', `Chaplin') `Frances', a great role for a woman, is absolutely beautiful in the part. The colors of the movie, the sun, the color of her hair, the photography is just gorgeous. I love those stories, because, although it seems common place, there are people starting their lives over every minute. It encourages people in such situation. The wardrobe is great, Tuscany, is great. We are planning on going there on our next vacation. I have had great experiences with Italian people. They are very generous people. It also helps when one understands both languages in a movie, without having to read the sub-titles. I am now watching the news in Italian just getting ready for my trip. After you watch the movie you will feel the same way. Sandra Oh ( `The Princess Diary,' `Brake a Leg,' )'Patti' is a great comic release. Liked her a lot! Again her part is great role for a woman. There has been a small but very notable change in the roles for women in Hollywood. I find that the ones aging gracefully are getting great parts! Look at Diane Keaton in `Something's Gotta Give,' it is great to see her without a face lift being nominated for and winning awards. Same with Meryl Streep ( `One True Thing') she is getting good parts. I am not against plastic surgery when in moderation. Lovely movie, very enjoyable experience.

Great Movie!, 8 February 2004

Two time Oscar winner, Jack Nicholson ( `The Shining', ` The Witches of Eastwick', `A Few Good Men') `Harry Sanborn' does his normal brilliant performance in this movie. Should have been nominated for Golden Globe and Oscar again. But I guess the problem is that he might have won. Jack makes acting look too easy. He is such an extraordinary performer. I just look at him and start laughing. I agree with Shirley Mac Laine (`Terms of Endearment' , `Steel Magnolias') when she stated in an ` Inside the Actors Studio' episode that she looks at Jack and starts laughing. He is so entertaining. His characterizations was perfect. I loved when he sees Erica Barry naked and runs into a bookshelf. All the detail that he adds to his characters is amazing. I have watched `As Good as it Gets` a million times, sometimes I just watch it to pay attention to all of Jack's moves. I LOVE JACK! He is tired of dating those days… Diane!!!! He wants a woman to love. Diane Keaton ( `Baby Boom' – love that movie, `Crimes if the Heart') `Erica Berry' is terrific! I love that character. I guess most middle age women would. That part is good for women. I believe I've seen most of Ms. Keaton's work and think that she deserved the Golden Globe. I just did not like her outfit that she wore for the Golden Globes. She has such a nice figure. Show it off! Don't hide it. You are a beautiful lady, Diane.

Then there is Oscar winner Frances Mc Dormant (`Fargo'), Keanu Reeves (`The Matrix'), new comer Amanda Peet ( `Identity') with great performances and a great dialogues because of the writing of Nancy Mayers (`Baby Boom', `The Parent Trap' among other great works). I find it very interesting that just reading about the actors, directors, writers work, that Nancy Mayer's movies are among my favorite movies. I did not realize that until now. Great Movie! Favorite scenes: Harry Sanborn seeing Erica Barry naked. The faces that Harry makes when he sees the stairways. I love that house at the beach! I love the Hamptons, love the photography, the music, the cast.

Favorite quotes: `Harry : I've never seen a woman that age naked before.' `What's with the turtlenecks.' Coincidently I love turtle necks, Summer and all. Elegant, perhaps…..or ` Less is more.' Highly recommended. Get the DVD or the VHS, there is a lot of real funny dialog.

Nice!, 24 January 2004

Anthony Minghella (Truly, Madly Deeply, The English Patient) always interests me. The movie is the life journey of Inman returning home to the woman he loves, played by the extremely young looking and talented, Judy Law (The Talented Mr. Ripley, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). I paralleled his return to `Ada' played by Nicole Kidman (The Hours, The Others ) as most people's life. Inman's life journey is told in a fashion of a person returning home, in a sense like we all are, in a journey back to the unknown, and to the woman he loves. His life's journey is full of struggles and temptations, but more than anything a very humbly experience. He becomes a deserter and is very much persecuted because of it. Now comes Renee Zellweger as `Ruby Thewes' (`One True Thing,' `Bridget Jones Diary' and the much anticipated, `Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.' She is an actress I absolutely adore, with that super fast southern accent, and full of bravery very upfront, making everyone laugh. Just when you think things are pretty bad. Watching Renee work is worth the ticket price. She DESERVES Golden Globes, and Oscar and whatever other statuettes they are handing out this year. So please, members of whatever vote for RENEE!!!!!!! Please! I liked the other characters especially, the N.Y.U. graduate Phillip Seymour (Twister ) Hoffman `Veasey'. He is always playing those disturbed people and entertaining people. I look at him now and start laughing. Just like when I look at Jack Nicholson (`Something's Gotta Give,' `As Good as it Gets') I just crack up! I view this movie as the Inman's life journey of, regardless of where he is heading. It is his complete journey. Along with `Glory,' ` The Love Letter' with Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh, Cold Mountain will stand as of my favorite movies about the Civil War.

The scenery is beautiful, the photography outstanding, loved the music. My favorite and most funny lines came from Ruby and Veasey. Favorite Line: Ruby: `They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'S--- its raining.'

Very uplifting movie., 22 January 2004

This is a delightful movie. As we walked out the of the theater my husband said:' Get the tape, get the DVD, whatever.' There are many aspects of this movie that mean a lot to me: (1) The majority of the movie was filmed in England, a country that I have great memories of. It is true that there is a lot of love in airports. I was there just last Spring, and felt very loved when my friends waited for me at Heathrow with big smiled giving me hugs and kisses; (2) I do live about 10 minutes from Dulles airport where one of the planes was hijacked from on September 11, and the amount of security we had to go thru at Dulles gave me a strange feeling. Although such a crime against humanity started at the airport, the writer of the screenplay was inspired by the events and came up with such an uplifting movie; (3) I do speak Portuguese and I must congratulate Colin Firth (Circle of Friends, Bridget Jones Diary, and the much anticipated Bridget Jones, The Edge of reason). I watched him in an interview where he said that he does not speak Portuguese at all. I thought he was fluent. Perhaps his knowledge of Italian and French helped. It was flawless. It was such a pleasant surprise, to hear Portuguese. It is very hard to summarize this movie, because it has a lots of people and lots of stories. Just think of it as a spoken musical, during the Spring and it is all about love. It is impossible to write a summary about everyone without making people bored to tears, and have their eyes crossed and their mind wandering after the third sentence. After awhile it is ludicrous to read because your mind will wander if you try. This movie is to be watched, and felt and not to be described. This movie is to be enjoyed, like love. The characters are all flirting, falling in love, falling out of love. The movie is excellent. We left the theater happy, enthusiastic about life. The cast is full of giants of the British Cinema. I highly recommend it!

No doubt, a very good movie., 21 January 2004

Anthony Minghella, who directed `Truly, Madly Deeply' a movie I loved, wrote the screenplay, directed, did other things this jam of a movie. The movie is the life journey of Inman, played by the extremely young looking and talented, Judy Law (`The Talented Mr.Ripley', movie also directed by Minguella; and among others `Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'). Inman's life journey is told in a fashion of a person returning home, in a sense like we all are, in a journey back to the unknown, and to the woman he loves. His life's journey is full of struggles and temptations, but more than anything a very humbly experience. He becomes a deserter and is very much persecuted because of it. Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (The Hours) is absolutely beautiful in the movie, and plays a very pampered pastor's kid. Now comes Renee Zellweger as `Ruby Thewes' (`One True Thing,' `Bridget Jones Diary' and the much anticipated, `Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.' She is an actress I absolutely adore, with that super fast southern accent, and full of bravery very upfront, making everyone laugh. Just when you think things are pretty bad. Watching Renee work is worth the ticket price. I have watched at least fifty percent of her work, if not more. She is a very good actress. I can say every line of `One True Thing,' Yes... I can talk like Bridget.'perfect' and know the lines as well. Renee has a sense of self worth, innocence, a strong sense of morals, even moved to NY, not to be polluted by Hollywood, that makes her a very, very special She DESERVES Golden Globes, and Oscar and whatever other statuettes they are handing out this year. So please, members of whatever vote for RENEE!!!!!!! Please! I liked the other characters especially, the N.Y.U. graduate Phillip Seymour Hoffman `Veasey', who played in `Twister' plus 37 more movies. He is always playing those disturbed people. I look at him now and start laughing. Just like when I look at Jack Nicholson (`Something's Gotta Give,' `As Good as it Gets') I just crack up! I view this movie as the Inman's life journey of, regardless of where he is heading. It is his complete journey. Along with `Glory,' ` The Love Letter' (a movie worth looking for, with Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh) are my favorite movies about the Civil War. Speaking about a very American topic, Civil War, our Civil war, explain going to Romania. I find no reason for such fiasco, besides cheaper labor, than if made in the U.S., why sent those people all the way to Romania??????? when there are so many actors that could work in right here in our back yard... and don't feel like going all the way to Hollywood to get started. For that I find no excuse. Sorry... but the money should have stayed right here with us. We are in wartime, Hello!!!! This irritates me. But I must say the photography is beautiful, and so is the music. I recommend the movie, but I am not that much into drama. There are enough funny parts. My favorite and most funny lines came from Ruby and Veasey. Ruby: `They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Sh** its raining.' No doubt, a very good movie.

Very educational show! BRAVO!, 26 August 2003

Five gay men who specialize in fashion, food & wine, grooming, culture, and interior design go to the rescue of helpless straight men with no sense of fashion nor anything else and do a complete make over. At the beginning of each episode they show the chaotic house of the straight guy with his closet full of tasteless clothes and trash all over. Show his terrible looking dry long hair. Basically a man who cannot cook, who is not very sophisticated culturally, and is clueless about using the space he lives in. The straight guy usually has a big date where they might ask their girl friend to marry them. These five gay guys show the man their perceptions of how to fix all the problems pertaining the correspondent specialties. They even clean and fix their houses! Amazing! At the end of the show they watch how the straight guy shows self-improvement by guy guys suggestion and make their comments. It is a ground breaking show because it shows that people are people no matter how they are labeled. I told my husband how funny the show was. Now we both watch it and laugh a lot. Everybody can identify with the situation besides the sex preference. It is interesting that many things they recommend are the same I things I recommended for my husband. He used to think doing what I told him was doing only what gay guys would do. Such as: use a good cleansing cream, use a different moisturizer for his face and one for his body. Too many creams: he would say! Use a mild shampoo, instead of one that dried out his hair. You don't have to wear socks with every shoe you have. He now can pick colors so that we are always matching! Well...... I am hoping that he will use a self-tanning lotion, so far he uses only the sun cream. What progress! But he has taught me many things: like how to cook and then delegated the power to me, and quit. Darn!!!!! I need the fabulous five!!!!!! Very educational show! BRAVO!

Chicago (2002)
Oscar night: and .. The Oscar goes go Renée Zellweger!, 17 January 2003

Billy Flynn, Richard Gere (Pretty Woman) is your typical lawyer looking for money and publicity. I was not surprised by his performance because he was the under study for John Travolta in `Grease.' He sings beautifully and dances well. He stated that this movie was pure fun. I believe it was. I wish I was in it! It looks like it was a real blast! Velma Kelly, Catherine Zeta Jones (Traffic) is one of those characters that you love to hate. Her performance is excellent. All I could think of was that Michael Douglas has good taste. She has done theater and musicals in Great Britain. I knew she was a singer and a danger.

Renée Zellweger , (Bridget Jones' Diary, One True Thing) is absolutely deserving of an Oscar for her performance as Roxanne 'Roxie' Hart. Actually she should have gotten one for `Bridget Jones.' It is great to hear that she will be doing the sequel. Another movie to be memorized. I have watched the first movie so many times that I memorized the script! I LOVE Renée. I love the roles she picks, her down to earth attitude. She is a beautiful lady. I have watched most of her movies and she is believable in all of them. She is a serious actress and she is not just there acting cute. Nothing would please me more to hear on Golden Globe and Oscar night: and .. The Oscar goes go Renée Zellweger! I will be jumping up and down. There has to be a tie if someone else is to win. It belongs to her. There is no way around it. She MUST win! Queen Latifah, ( The Bone Collector) Matron ‘Mamm' Morton, was the surprise. I am not familiar with her work at all. Nice job. Mary Sunshine, Christine Baranski (Cybill) did what I expected her to do. I loved her part on Cybill and think that there should have been a spin off series with her as Maryann Thorpe. As far as I can tell I watched the series because of Maryann. I have heard her sing and knew that she was good. John C. Reilly Amos Hart ( The Perfect Storm) was so cute with his little dance. I hope that musicals do come back because they are so much fun. Interestingly after all those years of trying to do Chicago they came up with the PERFECT cast. I love the way the music comes in as the chanters are thinking. It flows really well. It is now like one of those Elvis Presley musicals where he starts singing out of the blue in a boat with his hair completely dry. To me this movie is a winner and deserves as many awards as possible. I give it a 10!

I recommend this movie!, 17 January 2003

I am a big fan of Meryl Streep (Bridges of Madison County, One True Thing) and have kept abreast with her career. She is one of a kind. She plays Susan Orlean, a journalist who is bored with her work and finds herself fascinated and involved with John Laroche, Chris Cooper (I) (October Sky) who is really a really interesting person. He plays a red neck like no one else. I was in awe with his performance. I did not recognize him. Nicolas Cage (Leaving Las Vegas) plays two people in the movie. Although he is very good. I did not like the characters he plays. They are too weird! I found the movie to be very educational in the area of botany. I was amazed that John Laroche's deep knowledge of several different areas. Since my husband is a biologist from Florida we are likely to purchase the DVD or VHS. I recommend this movie! It is not as fun as Chicago. The acting is really good and is it nice to see the another generation of Coppola's begin to shine.

Skinwalkers (2002) (TV)
Suspenseful, extremely well written and very educational!, 27 November 2002

Way to go Jamie! A great job! We hope this turns into a series.

I like the fact that all the actors and the director were of Native-American descent, it gives the story more authenticity.

A murder happened in an Indian country, thus the investigation and trial were subject to the jurisdiction of the tribe. This shows great aspects of Indian Law and culture. I highly recommend that law professors use this movie to teach the students how the justice system operates in an Indian Country. As a student of American Indian Law, I found that they were a minority group the was really hurt by the people that came to North America to find a land of freedom. Those who came in pursuit of happiness almost destroyed those who were living here so peacefully. I cannot believe that the American Indians were given land, but not given the right to use the water on the same land. Sorry, I am getting carried away in tangent here. I like anyone who gives any minority group an opportunity to be portrayed as `human beings' rather than the traditional stereotypes.

The mystic side of the culture is shown as well, and it is done with details on their symbols and witchcraft.

I think that the casting was wonderful, giving Native Americans a chance to shine. It would be a great to see a minority group that seldom has the chance to be portrayed in a positive fashion to have a series where they are not the `nasty, dumb guys' Jamie is following his dad, Robert Redford's, footsteps and breaking new ground in the American film industry! I am big fan of the entire family and will give them my whole heartedly support in any way I can! Robert Redford has given an endowment to the American cinema, as well as the International cinema like no one else I know of. It is so nice to see the second generation moving in the same direction!

Suspenseful, extremely well written and very educational! BRAVO!

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]