pete-95

The Others (2001)
a master piece, 21 August 2001

The Others is a master piece. How many films have failed to put us in OTHERS' shoes. Just look at Planet of the Apes. Stinky human says one ape. The context is that in the movie, the human are the second class citizens and the apes are superior. But as the audience, do we believe that what has presented to us is true? If we do, we will not have problems with the scene in which the ape and human kiss...

But The Others succeeds in putting us in a context that we can hardly comprehend. Not do we go through the experience of the others, we also come to understand psychologically about Nicole's character before all these things happened -- again the others. Such understanding is two layered, and it is convincing. I was in my shoes when I went in the theater but in others' shoes when I came out of the theater. The Others is a master piece.

a waste of acting talents, 22 July 2001

Did Julia Robert fire her agent or what? She had always chosen very good scripts until recently. The last two films she starred in are just very very bad. Bill Crystal cannot write as if he has written this film using a story-forming software. America's Sweethearts is just TOO plain and TOO predictable. What a waste of the acting talents...

A classic!, 20 July 1999

One of the best films I've ever seen. The theme of the film is convincingly presented with impeccable story execution, pacing, and acting. It should be an Oscar contender. A 10.

I'll not make a film better than this., 14 February 1999

I've always boasted that I could make a better film about China, about the Cultural Revolution in particular, until I saw this film. It triggered an out-burst of many of my emotions I hadn't had since I left China. In the movie, as the events developed, the tragedy, caused by the human feelings : love, hate, jealousy, and guilt under the social unrests, came so naturally to me. It is a movie which should not be missed.

Maybe, we go to movies because we want to be entertained, not to be reminded of the ugly side of the reality., 31 December 1998

I have always wondered why there have been so few films about those who are less fortunate -- less power, less money, and especially less good-looking. Maybe, we go to movies because we want to be entertained, not to be reminded of the ugly side of the reality. This film defies that. It tells the stories of lonely people -- their dreams, and how these dreams clash with the reality. The film combined humor with some very serious emotions is highly entertaining and very effective.

One of the best movies of the year., 19 December 1998

I would like to think of this movie as a film about love which is distinguished from romance. So, it is very sophisticated and emotionally powerful. It is one of the best movies of the year.

The movie is very sophisticated but also slow-paced., 19 December 1998

The movie is successful in portraying the culture and power structure of the Shanghai brothels in the era but it is perhaps too subtle and slow-paced for modern audience.