Reviews

18 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Funny Girl (1968)
A True Classic!
29 November 1999
There has never been another Hollywood debut quite like Barbra Streisand's in FUNNY GIRL, and there probably never will be. Everyone knew she could sing beautifully, but this film proved that she was an actress, and an excellent one at that! Streisand showed the world once and for all that she is a true star capable of enormous talent. She is hilarious in the film's uproarious opening and is absolutely heart-breaking in the dramatic end, just watch her sensational performance of "My Man" in the film's finale. She picked up a well-deserved Oscar for her work here.

The rest of the cast is also very good, Omar Sharif is especially suave in the role of Nicky Arntein. The production values are high, the music is great, William Wyler's direction is lively, and the story, though predictable, is very touching. But above all else, it is Streisand's versatile and extremely likeable performance that holds the whole film together. Watch to laugh, watch to cry, watch to be entertained.

On a scale of 10, I'd rate this classic a 10!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nuts (1987)
A Powerful and Intelligent Film.
27 November 1999
Based on Tom Topors's off broadway play, NUTS is a highly charged drama that raises some uneasy questions. NUTS opened in late 1987 to little hype and mixed reviews.

This is a film that deserves to have a second life on video. While the court room plot devices are predictable, the film raises some important issues and questions. Questions like, "What is normal?" and "Does the law have the right to force help upon those who don't want it?"

What really makes this film worth watching though, is Barbra Strisand's bravura performance in the lead. I cannot believe she failed to receive an Oscar for her work here, it's crime that she wasn't at least nominated. Director Martin Ritt keep the film going at a perfect pace and also gets strong supporting performances from Richard Dreyfss and Maureen Stapleton.

This is a film that deserves more attention then it originally received, it is honest, though-provoking, and features a brilliant performance from Streisand.

My score for this excellent film: 9/10!
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonder Woman: The New Original Wonder Woman (1975)
Season 1, Episode 1
Great Fun!
6 November 1999
This is the pilot film to the popular ABC (and later CBS) TV series about the world's greatest superherione. Although some aspects of this film are dated, it's still a lot of fun and holds up quite nicely. In my opinion, it's probably the best comic book adaption ever made for television.

Lynda Carter may not ever be considered the best actress in the world, but that's just fine. She is simply amazing as Wonder Woman, bringing the perfect mix of warmth, sensitivity, and innocence to the role. I can't imagine anyone but the fabulous Lynda in the title role. Whoever lands the lead in the new WONDER WOMAN movie has some pretty big boots to fill.

The rest of the cast is also very good, Lyle Waggoner is especially charismatic and likeable as Steve Trevor. The production values are high, but some of the special effects naturally look dated. However the "bullets and bracelets" trick still looks impressive.

WONDER WOMAN is guaranteed to delight even the most harden cynics. Lynda Carter's heart-felt performance will easily win you over. My score: 8 out of 10 (the highest I've ever given a made for TV film)!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just As Magical and Fresh Today As It Was 60 Years Ago!
6 November 1999
What's left to say about this film? If you looked up the word "perfection" in the dictionary, you're likely to find it's picture. Judy Garland will always live in this film. Knowing what we do about her personal life doesn't subtract from her performance at all. If anything, her stories of personal tragedy and drug abuse, only makes her more effective. We know that quiver in her voice and the sadness behind her eyes were real. I cannot watch this film with out getting a little nostalgic for her.

The rest of the cast, especially Boldger and Hamilton, are also flawless, the special effects are still stunning, and the film's moral will never grow old.

My score: a perfect 10! This film never grows old!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yentl (1983)
Brilliant Directorial Debut From Streisand.
4 November 1999
A very different type of musical/drama. If you watch unbiased, I think you will find it has a little something for everyone. The film has beautiful direction, wonderful performances, lovely music, some sly humor, and is truly inspirational.

Barbra Streisand had wanted to make this film since 1968, but everyone in the industry told her she was crazy. In 1979, she was still determined to make the film, even if the studio's weren't. She was turned down by every motion picture company at least twice, until finally in the early eighties, MGM/UA picked up the project. Made on a then-above average budget of about $14 million, YENTL was released to mostly positive reviews and eventually grossed a surprisingly strong $50 million in the US alone and did twice as well around the world. The only disappointment is that Streisand was snubbed by Oscar.
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Good Time!
3 November 1999
I echo the previous viewers comments. When released in 1979, THE MAIN EVENT was an immediate summer hit grossing $66 million in the US and $80 million around the world. The film was popular not only because it reunited the stars of the 1972 blockbuster WHAT'S UP, DOC?, but also because of it's light tone and old-fashioned fun.

The story doesn't really matter, all you need to know is that the chemistry between the stars is fun and exciting and the screenplay gives them plenty of room to inhabit the screen. Streisand is as lovable as ever and O'Neal has rarely been more charming.

As I said before: Good fun! 7/10.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A worthy remake.
3 November 1999
This film was a sensation when originally released. It won five Golden Globe Awards and an Oscar for Best Original Song.

While the film doesn't match it's earlier incarnations, it's pretty good on it's own terms. I think the screenplay could have done more for it's central characters, they sometimes come off as one-dimensional. However, the performances of both Streisand and Kristofferson are genuinely appealing and believable, and their chemistry is magnetic.

Out of 10, I would rate this film at 7. It's has a good score, great performances, and is actually quite effective.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most fun I've ever had in front of the TV set!
3 November 1999
I think this film is the funniest movie I have ever seen. No matter how many times I see it, I always find surprisingly fresh and completely hilarious. Barbra Streisand's performance is the centerpiece of the whole film. She simply glows with warmth, sexiness, and humor. There isn't a moment when we don't find her completely believable. Ryan O'Neal adds a great physical presence and is gloriously restrained. The film also contains some great supporting turns from Ken Mars, Liam Dunn, and especially Madeline Kahn, who nearly steals the movie in her film debut.

On a scale of 10, WHAT'S UP, DOC? receives a perfect 10!
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hello, Dolly! (1969)
Ambitious musical that is only fair.
17 October 1999
Overblown, colorful, and big-budgeted adaption of the acclaimed Broadway musical about a widowed matchmaker (Barbra Streisand) in her mid-50's who decides to snag a client (Walter Matthau) for herself. I have never seen the play, therefore I can't speak of it's quality, however, I can say that the filmed version never really gets off the ground, though it isn't bad. The story and score are fine, although both are overly familiar and recycled. The movie unfortunately spends far to much time dealing with two sets of young couples (Michael Crawford and Marianne McAndrew, and Danny Lockin and E.J. Peaker) who are annoying and bog down the story's movement. Matthau is good, although unmemorable, as Horace. Streisand is, of course, miscast (She was only 27 at the time!), but ironically her Dolly is the best thing this film has going for it.

In 1969, HELLO DOLLY was set up to be the next SOUND OF MUSIC. It didn't quite work out that way. The film's budget soared to $25 million (TITANIC numbers back then) and took in a solid, though (in relation to the cost) disappointing $38 million. The film received mixed reviews from critics but somehow nabbed a Best Picture Oscar nomination (must have been a slow year).

HELLO DOLLY tries very hard, but never hits it's intended mark. The film is still enjoyable though and worth a rent.

My score: 4 out of 10.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny Lady (1975)
A worthy sequel to a classic.
15 October 1999
Let's get the biggest question out of the way: Is FUNNY LADY as good as FUNNY GIRL? Of course not, but how many movies are? This is the lively follow-up to the 1968 masterpiece, that continues Fanny's (Streisand's) story after her divorce from Nick (Sharif) and her second marriage to producer Billy Rose (James Caan).

This film was a sure-fire hit back in '75. Made on a then-hefty budget of $7 million, FUNNY LADY went on to gross over $48 million in the United States alone. Streisand and Caan have a sparkling chemistry, and Sharif is charming. Also, Roddy McDowell is memorable in a supporting role as Bobby.

The screenplay, though familiar, is surprisingly crisp with some fresh comedy bits and a bittersweet conclusion. The music isn't anywhere near as good as the original's, but there are some nice numbers including the showstopper "How Lucky Can You Get?" and the soft "More Than You Know."

FUNNY LADY is a very good movie and great sequel. Although the original is the place to start, the Streisand-Caan chemistry will give fans a good fix. Enjoy!

My score: 7 out of 10.