Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Much better than the American remake, 10 March 2006

*Contains spoilers for this movie as well as the American remake The Vanishing*

Ever since I first saw the American remake, The Vanishing, more than ten years ago, I have wanted to watch Spoorloos because I've heard that it's a lot better than the American movie. I've never been able to find it at any rental stores though, but just last week it was released on DVD here in Sweden and naturally I had to see it as soon as possible.

First things first, Spoorloos is indeed a much better movie than The Vanishing. Everything from acting to execution. The fact that the great ending in Spoorloos is changed into some typical "let's kill the psycho"-ending in the American version is absolutely laughable. I sat watching this movie fearing that ending here as well, but luckily it didn't happen.

Spoorloos is a great drama about a sociopathic killer and his victims. I can't say I would ever think of this movie as a thriller because it is not suspenseful in the way I expect thrillers to be suspenseful. Now, that doesn't mean I like this movie less, in fact I probably like it more because it doesn't go the usual thriller route with the premise. Just as with the American remake, it could easily have gone to those extremes. I like it much better this way.

Bleak and harrowing, 11 December 2005

Let me first start off by saying that I really enjoyed watching this movie, if "enjoy" is indeed the correct word when watching a bleak and harrowing film like Dead Man's Shoes. It's not an easy movie to sit through, but in the end you are certainly rewarded.

I firmly believe that you should watch this movie knowing as little about it as possible. Trying to pigeonhole it into a genre is to do this movie great injustice. It is every genre imaginable (except, obviously, scifi/fantasy) merged into a genre of its own.

In the centre of this movie, and probably what makes it so good, is a great, electrifying performance from Paddy Considine. It's all in his voice and in his eyes and you can understand why one of the "thugs" is scared of him from almost the second he sees him. There's obviously something very wrong with Richard.

Not an easy movie to watch then, yet one I recommend to anyone who doesn't mind violent movies.

Bad Santa (2003)
Hilarious, 26 March 2005

Bad Santa is everything I wished it to be when I rented it: funny, funny and funny. In fact, I thought this movie was hilarious. However, what surprised me, and made me like the movie even more, is the fact that it is not only a foul-mouthed comedy, it is also very touching and sweet.

Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant as the foul-mouthed mall Santa who hates the kids that sit on his lap. I even liked Lauren Graham in this movie (I don't particularly like her in Gilmore Girls). Also, the young boy who plays the rather slow Merman kid is also great.

So, Bad Santa is a hilarious movie with some sweet elements and great performances from the cast... Can't give it less than an 8 out of 10.

Collateral (2004)
Great action thriller, 20 March 2005

Collateral is a great action thriller by Michael Mann. The premise isn't the most original (a normal guy -- played by Jamie Foxx -- gets drawn into a chain of events that he can't get out of), but the execution is exquisite. The movie looks great. Cinematography, editing... everything. It also actually works as a thriller: I found myself sitting at the edge of my seat a couple of times which doesn't happen often anymore. Compare it to another thriller (very different though) that I just saw. It was Taking Lives and it tries so hard to put you at the edge of your seat, but only manages to be boring. It feels like Mann doesn't even try, but he pulls it off anyway.

The acting is great as well. Tom Cruise as a bad guy. Grey hair, grey suit. We haven't seen him in a role like this before, but I think he did a great job. Jamie Foxx was also very good in what is the biggest part in the movie (supporting actor? I think not). Max goes from nervous taxi driver to hero and I think that the transformation is quite believable, thanks to the script of course, but also thanks to Foxx's great performance.

So, Collateral is a great action thriller with fine performances. Highly recommended. (8/10)

Quite wonderful, 16 March 2005

Ae Fond Kiss is Ken Loach's latest movie. It's a movie with that classic basic premise: a woman and a man from different cultures fall in love. Will their love survive what other people think and do? It's a premise we've seen a million times before. But that doesn't make Ae Fond Kiss a bad movie. No, quite the opposite: I think it's wonderful.

First of all, I think the script is amazing. While Casim's family probably is the biggest obstacle for the young couple to overcome, this is by no means a movie which portrays only the Moslems as the bad guys. Roisin's Catholic society isn't much better. This is one of the reasons why the movie is so engaging.

Another reason why I really liked this film is the fantastic performances by all the actors. Eva Birthistle is certainly the standout, but it would be unfair to name any other actor before the others. In short, it's a great cast.

Ae Fond Kiss is a well-played, sweet and very engaging movie. I liked it a lot. It's even a bit better than Loach's Sweet Sixteen. (8/10)

Disjointed and boring, 11 March 2005

I quite liked the first RE-movie (6/10). I also enjoyed playing Resident Evil 3 upon which this movie seems to be very loosely based. So, while I didn't expect very much (because of the reviews) I still expected to be at least somewhat entertained for 90 minutes. Problem is: I wasn't entertained for 90 minutes. I wasn't entertained at all.

The main problem with the movie is that there are no characters. Sure, there are people in the movie, but we don't get to know them. They're just there, running about, shooting zombies, acting cool. I couldn't care less about what happened to these mannequins. Another problem is the disjointed narrative. It takes way to long to get the main "characters" together, and before they manage to do that the movie is very boring. This is because, as I said, it feels disjointed and episodic. Yet another problem is the acting. Most of these people couldn't act to save their lives.

It's probably unfair to compare it to other recent zombie flicks such as 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead and the remake of Dawn of the Dead. All of these movies I like a lot. But they're not only action movies, they are as much dramas or comedies with a bit of horror in the mix. I guess the only movie I can fairly compare RE: Apocalypse to is the first RE movie. The comparison is sure to be unfavourable. As mentioned, I actually liked that movie.

RE: Apocalypse is sadly a disjointed and boring mess. (2/10)

Neither good nor bad, 6 March 2005

Constantine is the movie version of comic book/graphic novel Hellblazer. I hadn't even heard of Hellblazer until I heard about Constantine. Therefore, I cannot say if Constantine is a good or bad adaptation. What I can say, however, is that it's an okay film in its own right. It's neither good or bad.

What I liked about Constantine was the look of the movie when it comes to cinematography and production design. I also liked that, for a movie I imagined to be action packed, the action scenes weren't that many. There _are_ quite a few action scenes of course, but the movie doesn't seem to be all about the next big action set piece.

Now, what I didn't like was the special effects. They're not bad, but a demon made out of bugs made me think of The Mummy and that is never good. When it comes to demons in movies I believe that less is more. At least if you want the audience to feel suspense. I also had a problem with the slow pace. The movie was about two hours long, but it felt more like 2½ hours.

When you know you're going to watch a Keanu Reeves film you know not to expect great acting. At least not from Mr Reeves himself. However, I must say that Constantine is the type of movie where at least I didn't notice that Keanu Reeves isn't very good. I think the role of Constantine suited him rather well.

So, Constantine is a rather good film. Unfortunately it is also slow-paced, boring at times and too long. (4/10)

Better than expected, 4 March 2005

So, I didn't expect much from this movie. I haven't seen any of the Predator movies, but I have seen all Alien movies (and think that James Cameron's Aliens is probably the best film ever made). It turns out that AvP was better than expected. Which doesn't say a lot, but still.

I quite enjoyed the first hour or so of AvP. It was seldom suspenseful, but quite entertaining anyway. I liked how every single character was killed, one by one. However, once Alexa Woods started interacting with the predator it all got a bit too silly for my taste. In fact, I couldn't shake the image of Alexa and the predator getting hitched in Las Vegas. A rather amusing image, to say the least, but hardly, and hopefully not, what the director/writer had intended.

So, up until the last half hour or so, AvP was quite a good film, but it got too silly in the end. AvP ends up being an okay film. (5/10)

Better than The Bourne Identity, 26 February 2005

I don't know why I rented this movie. I didn't like the first movie, The Bourne Identity, at all (voted 4 out of 10 here at IMDb). So why I would want to pay to watch a sequel to a movie I didn't even like is difficult to explain.

Well, I did rent The Bourne Supremacy and I'm quite happy that I did. This sequel is much better than the first film. While BI was boring most of the time, BS is exciting and engaging. It was also a bit grittier than expected. This time I really want another Bourne-film.

I didn't care for the car chases though. I normally don't find any entertainment value in car chases and this movie is no exception. Too bad then, that it has at least two lengthy car chase scenes (one of them must be close to five minutes long). These scenes were just a waste of time according to me. Also, the movie would have benefited from being about 15 minutes shorter.

I love the last scene in Russia, though. Bourne talks to the daughter of a couple he has murdered and confesses the murder. It's a very touching scene and for the first time in the movie, Bourne actually seems human. That's one of the reasons why I want another Bourne movie. From here, things should get even better...

6 Points (2004)
Incoherent and boring, 13 February 2005

This is one of the most incoherent and boring movies I have ever seen. What is it about? Why was it made? I don't know the answers to these questions. 6 Points is that bad.

So, the plot is a mystery. It's about three childhood friends who are now in their twenties and they all have problems with friendship and love and... well, who knows? What's most annoying is that one of the characters is addicted to sex. That's a big part of the movie and that would be fine if the storyline actually *went* somewhere and if we got an explanation for her behaviour. As it is now, it is just there, it just happens. And this is the main problem with the whole movie. It is just there, it just happens.

It is saved from 1/10 simply because it was sometimes so bad it was actually funny. So, 2/10 for 6 Points.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]