FilmCritic-3

An extremely enjoyable film, 18 January 2000

I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't send in my comments after I saw this film. This was an extremely enjoyable film. As a fan of Edward G. Robinson, I can say with great enthusiasm that he doesn't disappoint. Bette Davis is up to her smart-as-a-whip self which makes it even more entertaining. Humphrey Bogart puts on a role of a scheming man that makes him look better than he already is.

Near the end, the film started to derail a bit and got a bit pointless, but it was all in good taste. It was also well-directed with Michael Curtiz at the helm. I couldn't imagine anyone else directing this. Boxing fans and movie buffs, see this film immediately. This is one film you will not want to miss.

Out to Sea (1997)
A good movie, 6 May 1999

I found this movie to be quite good. Although some people call this movie the "Grumpy Old Men And The Sea" it is hilarious at the right moments and soft at others. Matthau and Lemmon are two great actors and if you like one or both of them, be sure not to miss this film.

Out to Sea (1997)
A Very Funny Movie, 28 December 1998

Charlie Gordon (Walter Matthau) is the guy who can't seem to let go of horse racing. The debts pile up high on his head. So, he decides that it is time for him and his brother-in-law to take a trip out on the open seas. His brother-in-law, Herb Sullivan (Jack Lemmon) whose wife passed away reluctantly tags along. It is not until they board the Westerdam that it is realized that Charlie signed them up as dance hosts. What follows is some hilarious antics not only on the open seas, but on the dance floor. And a sweet love story also comes along too. People criticize this movie for the pointlessness it brings. It is actually quite funny, but seems to be geared more toward the seniors' group. I think this movie was quite good. Rent it for a weekend and just see.

A disappointment for fans of the original, 6 May 1999

Being that I was a fan of the original, I found this film to be a complete disappointment. Who thought that they could remake the Out-Of-Towners? It was a stupid move actually. George and Gwen Kellerman are now George and Nancy Clark (Played by Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn). This time they are left with empty-nest syndrome after their son leaves for London. With nothing to do, George needs to go to New York because of a job interview that he desperately needs being that he was let go from his previous job after 23 years. The only thing is that Nancy doesn't know this. But she does nearing the middle of the film. A few jokes are resurrected from the original and still bring a smile to those that watched and enjoyed the original. Other than that, the rest of the movie is a complete disappointment from start to finish.

Don't rush so fast to see this one. It is better to wait until it comes out on video.

Where in the name of god did this s*** come from?, 13 May 2000

I have never seen such a bad sci-fi movie in my life. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this damages John Travolta's career somehow. His acting, along with Barry Pepper's and Forest Whitaker's (Whitaker's usually a very talented man) is wooden and has no personality at all. Don't even get me started on the plot. This film rips off everything from Star Wars to other films. I think the biggest mistake this movie made (Besides bringing the book to the big screen, which is quite a good book if you take the time to read it) was hiring B-Movie director Roger Christian to take the helm. I guess the rule of thumb here is to never give a B-Movie director to direct what could have been a potentially good movie. Christian, on the other hand has worked with microscopic budgets. Give him an $80 million dollar budget and look what in the crap nebula happened (Sorry, just had to quote from the book there). Besides, this was a man who helped out as a set director with the first Star Wars film (The '77 one) and was a second assistant director on the highly successful first prequel.

I guess what I am trying to say here is: DON'T SEE IT. Literally, as I was walking around the movie theater here at home and saw people going in to see it, I said to myself, "Why do they torture themselves like this?"

Just don't bother. If you want to see a good sci-fi film, just dust off the Star Wars tapes and have a great Saturday night that way.

A worthwhile film, 6 May 1999

This film is one that is overlooked by many people. I found it to be quite enjoyable, however. The Kellermans, George and Gwen make a trek from Ohio to New York that is supposed to go the right way. Waiting for them in New York is a job interview for George which would propel him at his job at a plastics company. As soon as the plane takes off, nothing goes right. Some of the hilarities include the plane being diverted to Boston, a crowded train, a mugging and much more. All of these also revolves around a taxi strike happening in New York.

Don't miss this one. It is one you will enjoy.

***1/2 star movie. Great film. One of Robert Redford's overlooked films, 4 January 2001

This movie seems to have a great talent with documentary-style filming. It's so real that it's as if the filmmakers just let the cameras roll while Bill McKay was on a campaign run. However, this is not real. This involves Robert Redford in an overlooked performance as Bill McKay, an idealistic lawyer who runs for Senator of California to upset an old and creaky warhorse Senator named Crocker Jarmon (Who's really a Crock). This film takes you from the beginning when the idea comes about to the time of the debate (Which is one of the great climaxes of the film) to election night, to the results. If only electing a President in this country were this easy. Robert Redford makes his role the best that it could be. Here's a man that goes through so many parades, interviews and handshakes and yet he still has the same ideals that people love, want, and need. This is a great movie and is worth watching (Especially during a time of election). Michael Ritchie's documentary-style filming is exceptionally and tastefully well done and the rest of the cast (Including a few appearances by Melvyn Douglas) shines along with Redford.

What happened?, 6 November 1999

The first time I saw this, I was with an aviation camp and we went at night to see this. About 45 minutes into the film, I fell asleep and did not wake up until the end credits. It was not out of boredom, but rather the tiredness of flying planes and telling dirty jokes at 1AM (Typical stuff at an aviation camp). Anyway, I gave Saving Private Ryan another try and it still didn't go with me. The action sequences at the beginning were okay, but the flashback technique did not work for me. At about an hour and 35 minutes into the film, my attention span shrunk. This did not really seem like Spielberg at all. The storyline seemed very boring. It was mostly a series of very long fights.

An entertaining film, 17 July 1999

With big summer blockbusters and special effects all around, how could the muppets fit in? The answer is: Very well! In this entertaining film, Gonzo believes that he is a space alien after he receives messages from outer space. This prompts government agent K. Edgar Singer (Jeffrey Tambor) to go after him. What follows is a funny and wild muppet movie that I think little kids will enjoy.

And for you old Muppet alumni, see this film ASAP. I believe it is one you will enjoy. WALDORF AND STATLER RULE!

Entrapment (1999)
One heck of a film, 6 May 1999

This film is one of the best I have seen this year. Sean Connery puts in a good performance by playing Robert "Mac" MacDougal, a world renowed art thief. Catherine Zeta-Jones plays Ginger "Gin" Baker, a worker for an insurance agency who convinces her boss to let her work with McDougal. Oh, she does all right, and in a big way. The story can make your head spin as it is misleading and confusing. The skin-tight outfits on Zeta-Jones are awesome. Ving Rhames puts in a good word by playing Thibedeaux. He works for Connery's character and provides all of the humor in this film, basically (Although there is very little humor).

Don't miss this one. This is a must-see.