TroyAir

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

So-so comedy, but Diane Franklin redeems it., 21 January 2000

Its been awhile since I've seen this film but I recall that it was a so-so comedy who's only redeeming feature was the fact that Diane Franklin starred in it. Basic premise is that one man and one woman are sent through History to show the value of love during a test by the Devil (or something like that). Anyway, it starts out with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (yes, we see her topless). Then WW1 when Diane proves her love by standing before her lover as he's about to get shot by a German firing squad and opening her blouse (again, we see some skin). And so on until the Devil decides that Love can conquer all.

A good film for those who saw "Better Off Dead" and wanted to know if Diane was as hot as she appeared in that film with John Cusak. Answer: she sure was. If you're looking for comedy, skip this film and try "Better Off Dead".

One of the better shows from the 1980's, 7 January 2000

Probably one of the better prime time not-quite-drama/not-quite-comedy television shows from the 1980's, this NBC hit became one of the network's cornerstones in their weekly prime-time line up. Several of the stars achieved their stardom here and cultivated the exposure into leading roles in various made-for-tv movies, and of course there was the usual workplace chatter the day after a show would air.

Leyland MacKenzie is the powerful top attorney of a prominent Los Angeles law firm. Grace van Owen, Ann Kelsey, Michael Kuzak Arnie Becker, and Stuart Markowitz handled the criminal, commercial, personal injury, divorce, and tax law cases (respectively). Later, Victor Sifuentes would join the firm, after being hired away from the Public Defender's office, to handle most of the firm's 'pro bono' work. Abbey Perkins was the junior attorney trying to work her way up the ladder and Roz Melman was the loyal legal secretary to Arnie Becker.

Each week, a new set of cases would be introduced, some dramatic, some humorous, some based on cases "ripped from the headlines". But what kept the viewers each week was the relationship between the characters. Handsom Kuzak was trying to romance the beautiful van Owen (at one point donning a gorilla costume and reading poetry to her on the courthouse steps)and later the diminuitive intellectual Markowitz was trying to develop a relationship with the hard-charging Kelsey (in real life, Jill Eikenberry and Michael Tucker became wife and husband during the show's running, which played out well for fans of the show). Perkins was the single woman trying desperately to balance her work, her home life, and her desire to succeed (I believe she may have even been a single mom, but I don't recall any children being cast). And there was the ongoing humorous interaction between Arnie and Roz to keep things light.

The show has held up well over the years, mostly because it played on people's common perceptions of attorneys, which hasn't changed in the years since the show went off the air.

"Endless Summer" in one country, 14 October 1999

Fans of "Endless Summer" will appreciate the documentary feel of this film about two guys and a second-hand Chevy Suburban that travel through Mexico on vacation looking for perfect surfing spots. Along the way, they make new friends at each stop, trying true Mexican home-made cooking, and generally experiencing a good surfing adventure. And we're along for the ride. That's the reason its become a classic cult film in the surfing world.

A simple, no-frills, good-time film that gives the audience a chance to experience a taste of a surfer's dream - to travel, surf, eat, sleep, and surf some more. Its kind of like watching someone's Summer vacation home movies, but with better camerawork, better narration, and a vacation that is actually interesting and entertaining. If you're thinking of going to Mexico, you'll want to see this film so you'll know which spots to visit.

No nudity (except for one scene where the guys wear T-backs on a beach as a result of losing a bet with a friend), no harsh language, no gore (except for a bit of blood when one of the guys finds a rock in the surf zone with his head), and no violence. Nothing offensive whatsoever. A good family movie, and you don't need a family to enjoy it.

Decent bondage film, 30 September 1999

One of the better bondage films out there, the film's premise is pretty simple: a South American border post commander (played by Be Be LeBadd) intercepts spies (played by everybody else) posing as university students and must interrogate them. The writers threw in a couple of plot-twists that are interesting, though you didn't really want to see this film for its plot anyway.

Be Be does a good job in this film(being one of the top two doms in the bondage film business, would you expect less?) and the women are all attractive, though the actress playing the border guard/assistant had a very bad bosom-enhancement operation that is kind of scary to look at. Fast-forward your vcr past those nude scenes and the film isn't too bad.

You've got your usual assortment of scenes: the "hands chained over the head and whipped" scene, followed by the "on the table and clipped" scene by the first girl. The second girl gets the "suspended by wrists and ankles" scene and the "bound to the X frame and turned upside down" scene. Ashley Rene and the last girl get the "bound to wall and whipped" scene. Ashley is then suspended by her wrists and ankles and the last girl get put in stocks and has her feet cropped. The first girl is very attractive and does an excellent job in the film. The second girl may or may not be packin' silicone, but does a good job anyway. Ashley turns in a strong performance (what would you expect from a former Ms. Bondage World?) and the last girl screams too much but is nice to look at.

Nikki Dial's performance in "House of Correction" is still the best whipping scene in a bondage film I've come across so far, but the actresses in this film are a good Second Place. Be Be was the whip-wielder in both films and knows how to work her charges. Check out "House of Correction" if you haven't already.

Big Names, Bad Film, 29 September 1999

After reading the cast list for this film, I had hopes of it being a pretty good flick. Unfortunately, the editing and filming crews were the weak point in the making of the video. The sound is horrible, the lighting is terrible, and the camera work reminds me of something out of a 9th grade amateur film project. This was Twist Productions' first project, and the quality shows it.

The actresses give pretty good performances (and look "all natural") and the bondage master, Ernest Greene, did a good job setting up the equipment and the scenarios, but the people behind the camera didn't equal the skills of the people in front of the camera, and the film ends up looking cheesy.

In my opinion, you'll get a better performance by Nikki Dial in "House of Corrections" than you will in this film. The box cover art showed Nikki in suspension with Alexis Payne holding a whip, which implied that Nikki would be whipped while hanging by her wrists at one point or another. Unfortunately, such a scenario never occurs in the film, which is too bad as it might have made the film worth watching.

Good, clean fun in a land that Time forgot., 20 September 1999

Based on an original story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the same guy who wrote "Sherlock Holmes" novels so many years ago), this movie has a pretty good plot but is hampered by a low budget and television censorship (or so it would appear). I've never read the original novel, so I can't comment on how close the film tracks to the original story. I've seen another adaptation that glossed over some of the plotlines raised in this film, and between the two films that I've seen, this one probably follows the novel closer.

Dr. Challenger is on an expedition in a jungle when one of his bearers tries to steal a map from him while he sleeps. Challenger suffers a leg wound in the struggle and ends up killing the bearer. The next day he is poised to climb an escarpment and spots a winged creature flying over the cliff's ledge but because of his wound he is unable to continue his expedition and is forced to turn back. Returning to England, he makes a speech to a British scholar's society about how he came upon a land where a dinosaur life form thought to be extinct - a pterodactyl, a bird-like dinosaur that either flew or glided -still exists(interestingly enough, this book was written before the discovery of the pcelocanth (a dinosaur fish) caught in a fisherman's net off Madagascar in the 50s or 60s).

Back in England, the scholars scoff Dr. Challenger and rebuke his claims. A newspaper reporter in search of a story and some adventure calls out to the scholars, stating that they should launch an expedition to prove Dr. Challenger's claims true or false. The scholars retort that perhaps if the Society were to fund an expedition that perhaps the reporter would like to join them, along with a young boy in the auditorium. There is, of course, much laughter until their offer is accepted by the reporter, the boy, and a female photographer who happens to be a wealthy supporter of women's rights and offers to fund the expense of the expedition. Money talks and the expedition is prepared, on the condition that Challenger remain in England, to avoid any complications to the leadership of Challenger's rival, Dr. Summerlee.

Once at the jungle station, Dr. Summerlee opens an envelope that is supposed to contain the map to the escarpment, but the paper inside is blank! Ta-daa, Dr. Challenger arrives with the map and joins the expedition. Also joining the expedition is the boy, who stowed away in the ship from England, and an attractive native girl ("Malu") who is to act as an interpreter for the group. The group gathers up some native bearers and proceed up the river into the jungle.

In my opinion, the movie spent too much time getting our heroes into the adventure. I can understand the need for character development and motivation, but it just seemed too tedious, particularly since all of the characters are stereotypical and there really isn't any development anyway. But, I suppose when the story was originally written, all of this was new to the viewers so it had to be explained.

Once in the jungle, our heroes climb the escarpment, only to find themselves stranded when the brother of the bearer Challenger had killed earlier comes along and cuts their climbing ropes. The group makes a camp, but must battle fierce native warriors who capture Challenger, Summerlee, the photographer, and the native bearers and are going to feed them to a tyrannosaurus rex by placing leaves around their necks and pushing them off a cliff into the t-rex's claws. The boy figures out how to save them by making a balloon out of a shirt and natural gas from some hot springs nearby and scaring the native warriors.

Later, the group finds a friendly tribe and one of the young girls of the village has a baby pterodactyl that's dying. Summerlee reasons that perhaps the leaves that the warriors had placed around their necks to feed the t-rex might be some sort of dinosaur food, so he collects some and revives the baby pterodactyl. Challenger and Summerlee congratulate each other -Summerlee congratulates Challenger on discovering living dinosaurs and Challenger congratulates Summerlee on figuring out how the dinosaurs survived extinction - and they become friends.

John Rhys-Davies has become the prototypical explorer/adventurer actor. He did an outstanding job in the Indiana Jones films, this film, a remake of "Ivanhoe", the "Shogun" miniseries, and he recently did the narration for "Empires of Mystery" Inca/Aztec/Maya exhibit at the Florida Internation Museum. In my opinion, he carries this film. The actress playing Malu has one of the best smiles I've seen on camera, right up there with Erik Estrada and Donnie Osmond, and looks like she belongs in a steamy jungle of Brazil. She has a pretty good body in that sarong, too. The dinosaur scenes are mediocre. The puppets aren't going to win any special effects awards and in this day of Computer Generated Images they almost look ridiculous, but they get the idea across. The fierce native warriors look pretty good - their white paint makes them look like skeletons and look suitably ferocious. I was surprised that the adventurers managed to stay in full dress, complete with vest, long pants, and long coat, while the natives dress in sarongs and loincloths. I would think that they would "go native" for comfort, if not for practicality. But, I suppose the standards of Doyle's time didn't allow for such freedom. You can go forth wreck indigenous species and interfere with other cultures, but you can't take off your shirt.

No skin, no foul language, no gore (in fact, the gunshot wound to the bearer has no blood at all), nothing terribly frightening. A good movie for the whole family. Fans of jungle films may enjoy it, but you'd probably get more entertainment out of a good "Tarzan" film.

Good, clean jungle fun, 13 September 1999

I've seen the begining of this film and I've seen the ending of this film but not both at the same time, due to its presentation at unusual time schedules on tv. Nonetheless, I've seen enough to know that it's a pretty fair "Tarzan" low-budget action film.

Lex Barker plays Tarzan with Johnny Weismuller's pidgin English, but with a California accent. Vanessa Brown plays Jane with a lot of spirit, just the way Jane should be played. Let's face it, if a woman is going to be running around the jungle with an ape man and chasing slave hunters, she better have her wits about her, and Brown's Jane certainly does.

The story opens with Barker and Brown riding their elephants through a Hollywood jungle when they hear screams. Ever-alert to danger, Tarzan swings down off of the elephant and runs to a local village, thinking that the screams came from there, with Jane and the monkey sidekick Cheetah close behind. When they get to the village (inhabited by people who look more Middle Eastern than Central African), they find the witch doctor performing a ceremony, but the chief says that they did not scream, so Tarzan darts back to the river to check on the local village girls who were there gathering water. When they get there, they find a bowl one of the girls was using and Tarzan gets hot on the trail. Tarzan catches up to a group of three slavers, who look vaguely Egyptian. He subdues one, but the other two escape after conking Tarzan on the head.

The villagers take the captured slaver back to the village to make him talk, but he's infected with a disease and can't stand up, grabbing his knees and falling to the ground. Soon, other villagers are grabbing their knees and falling to the ground, so Jane tells Tarzan to go to a mission to get a doctor. Tarzan goes and brings back the doctor and his voluptuous assistant, who looks very European and speaks with a French accent but wears a sarong.

At some point in the story, Jane and the voluptuous assistant Lola are captured by the slavers and taken to a lost city, along with the other village girls. Presented to the ruler of the city, the girls are informed that they are to be either sold as slave girls or will join the harem. Naturally, Jane and Lola resist and must be punished, eventually being sealed inside a pyramid to die. Tarzan learns where they are and he tries to save them. I won't go into too much detail here because I don't want to ruin the drama, but essentially Jane comes through at Tarzan's darkest hour and together they free the slave girls and escape from the city.

Now, even though the title has "slave girl" in it, don't think for a second that there's going to be nudity or anything prurient like that. However, we do get to see Vanessa Brown in a two-piece leather outfit (rare for a Jane character, it seems) that reminds me of a cheerleader costume - full cut shoulder straps, V-shaped neckline, longer top gathered in the middle with a mid-thigh cut skirt. This has the effect of making Brown look very athletic (which she is) and really shows off her perky figure well. And, as I mentioned earlier, Lola comes in a sarong and has the full figure to pull it off (nowadays, she'd never make it as a B-movie actress but back in the 50s I'm sure she was a ticket). The other actresses look quite lovely in their sarongs and, later, in their harem costumes, too. Some of them look like they could've modeled for Vargas paintings or nose art on WW2 bombers.

This film certainly isn't a high point of modern art, but fans of "Tarzan" and cheap weekend movies will appreciate it for what it is: a piece of 1950s nostalgia and good, clean fun.

The sequel to a legendary surfing film., 30 August 1999

Thirty years after making the greatest surfing movie of all time - "Endless Summer", with Mike Hynson and Robert August as two surfers who try to achieve the ultimate dream (an endless Summer of waves, girls, sun, and surf)- Bruce Brown decided to shoot a sequel. He took two more surfers, a shortboarder and a longboarder, and traveled the world again. This time around, the surfing world is much larger than just Hawaii and California, so the guys don't really get to play "surfing ambassador" on this trip like the two other guys did in 1964.

Robert August makes a guest appearance. Since completing his surfing odyssey in 1964, he's now known as one of the greatest surfboard shapers in the business, specializing in longboards. One of the greatest tragedies in the world is the fact that the board he used in "Endless Summer" ended up on a used surfboard rack and was sold, lost forever to a nameless surfer who probably didn't know what he had. However, August has made a living creating duplicates of that board and they continue to sell well. But I'm deviating from the movie.

Again we have Bruce Brown giving narration to the film, although in this movie the cameras recorded sound, so we can hear the surfers reactions to the waves and rides rather than have Brown interpret them for us (though I miss his narration - it was much funnier in his retelling). And we have the familiar tune from The Sandals, but recorded with better guitars. This time the two title surfers go to places not normally associated with water sports, such as Alaska and France. But even here, with the improvement in wetsuit technology in the past 30 years, surfers are riding waves. We also get treated to a brief history of surfing at the beginning of the film, which is a nice tribute to the sport which has done well for Brown.

Interspersed between the surfers' travels are clips from surf competitions, famous moments in surf history, and some fantastic underwater photography. While the trailer to the movie focused on the big action scenes (a la the "X Games" influence of ESPN), the movie itself actually follows a less MTV-heart attack pace, showing us the grace and beauty of moving on a wall of water. The advances in camera technology have really benefitted filmmakers, and it shows in this movie.

So is the sequel as good as the original? Yes, if not better. While I miss the relaxing humor of Bruce Brown's narration that was in the original, the photography of the sequel is much better. I'd suggest watching both.

A good, clean film about a good, clean sport., 30 August 1999

Back before Sean Penn gave us his hilarious interpretation of a surfer as a drugged-out loser with a limited vocabulary in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", the common image of a surfer was that of a clean-cut guy who surfed just like other people sailed or fished. They were normal people. This film was made during that time, when surfing was a sport and surfers were athletes. And its that charm that makes this film special.

Bruce Brown had made 4 feature-length films prior to making this one, but this film's incredible success made him a cult hero, a Cinderella story who came out of nowhere to give us a film that could quite possibly be the best surfing documentary ever made. His premise was simple: take 2 surfers and try to achieve what everyone dreams of: an endless Summer of sun, surf, and girls (but mostly surf).

Brown's narration, with its soft California tone, really gives the film that comfortable, easy feeling, like watching an old Walt Disney film from the early 60's, which contributes to the film's charm. We know, we just know, that these two guys are going to go out on an adventure and nobody will die, nobody will get arrested, and nobody will do anything immoral (or at least _too_ immoral).

From the west coast of Africa, to South Africa, to Australia, to islands in the Pacific, to Hawaii, we go along as two young men from California introduce the sport of surfing to people who have never seen a surfboard before. It is quite hilarious to see villagers in Ghana and Senegal try to surf a longboard in heavy surf for the first time, and Bruce's narration really tells a funny story, and all along we're relaxing to the gentle guitar sounds of The Sandals.

We also get to see some of the best surfers riding some great waves in the age before the beaches got crowded with jet skis, racing boats, and more surfers. "Endless Summer" is one of those films that acts like a time capsule, and is just as entertaining now as it was when it first came out.

I highly recommend it for everyone. Adults, kids, surfers, non-surfers. There's something for everyone in this film. You don't need to know how to surf to enjoy this movie.

One of the better bondage films., 20 August 1999

This film was the 2nd in a series of films I caught on a cable channel's bondage marathon and stars some of the top names in bondage films in the early 90's - Nikki Dial, Desi D'Angelo, Cie Cie, Melinda White, and was the introduction for Randi Jones (who is quite lovely).

Be Be LeBadd, one of the top doms in the business, is the caretaker of a women's prison who accepts bribes from an outsider (Randi) to torture inmates for her personal pleasure. First up is Nikki Dial, who is stripped naked and placed face down on a padded rack and whipped quite hard by Be Be (who really knows how to work her charges). Nikki is then turned over and whipped some more, then clipped and slapped until she promises to behave. I must point out that this is one of Nikki's better performances in a bondage film, and I must take my hat off to her for her ability to absorb the punishment. Nikki Dial is one of the best performers in a bondage film I've ever seen, and she really shows us why in this film.

Next up is Melinda, who gets off easy compared to Nikki. She's chained to a square frame on her hands and knees and lightly whipped with a crop. Not much variety here, just different camera angles.

After this, Desi and Cie Cie are stripped. Cie Cie gets strung up with her hands above her head (not suspended) and is whipped, and then they're both bound to a frame facing each other and whipped, and then Desi is bound to a X-frame and whipped, and then they're bound to a double rack and have their feet cropped. Finally, Desi is suspended as Cie Cie lies on the rack.

And then the tables are turned on Randi, as one of the warden's previous inmates, who had been released on parole, returns for revenge and pays Be Be to spank and whip Randi. Randi is quite lovely and attractive, and does a good job performing for the camera, but she doesn't have the pain threshold that Nikki has and her whipping scene comes off a bit faked. The film closes with the previous inmate being beaten as well, but for her own pleasure.

Overall, the film is one of the better bondage films simply because of the variety of methods displayed and the number of actresses involved. All of the girls are pretty enough (though Cie Cie didn't really do much for me) and I didn't detect any silicone (though I have my suspicions about Melinda). No blood, no sex, lots of nudity, occassional harsh language. A film worth watching again.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]