Progbear-4

Mighty Jack (1968) (TV)
Make the hurting stop!, 12 May 2000

Apparently edited down from a Japanese TV series, "Mighty Jack" looks more like several completely unrelated spy films chopped up and reedited randomly. The plot, if it can be said to have one, is an exercise in incoherence. A plot synopsis is impossible for this film, *none* of it makes sense. What an endurance test this film is, anyone who makes it all the way to the end deserves some sort of medal.

Worth searching out, 19 April 2000

This was my introduction to Almodóvar, and you can bet I'll be seeing more of his work. It concerns a bisexual prostitute who begins giving sewing lessons to a doormat housewife...and quickly she and her lesbian lover involve her in a fetishistic menage-a-trois. The film is very perverse, yet very funny, and also has something interesting to say. It's also very, very Spanish, particularly in the characterizations. Lots of fun.

Wacky Taiwanese kung-fu, 19 April 2000

A pretty standard kung-fu period-piece with some comic elements. What sets this apart are some truly odd fighting techniques. I don't think I'll ever get the image of the chunky, long-haired man deflecting his opponent's kicks by contracting and expanding his belly out of my head. Must be a technique unique to Taiwan. Bizarre.

Underrated Kurosawa, 19 April 2000

This one tends to get slighted by a lot of critics and Kurosawa fans, but I thought it was wonderful. It's an episodic multi-character study of Tokyo's poorest, who live in a city literally made from garbage. Though it looks like an A-Bomb just hit, the film has a sort of serene beauty thanks to the glorious use of Technicolor. The title comes from the sound made by the insane young man who drives an imaginary trolley through the slum. All the characters were wonderful and all the stories engrossing, but perhaps the most tragic concerns the man and his young son who live in an abandoned car. When not searching for food, they spend their spare time using their imagination to build their dream house. An emotionally moving and beautiful film.

Don't take it seriously, 19 April 2000

I think what really hurt this film was the advertising campaign. It was made to look like a serious science-fiction film. It's not. It's actually a science-fiction *comedy* that's so over-the-top, I can't believe people are trying to fault it for being something it isn't. On the level of gaudy, self-referential camp it succeeds gloriously. Watch this one with the right expectations and you ought to have a good time.

One of the greatest, 19 April 2000

Simply put, this is one of my favourite films of all time. Great acting, great writing and great camerawork make this close to cinematic perfection. Liz Taylor and Richard Burton give the performances of their lives. Sandy Dennis also shines in an early-ish role. It's a dramatic film, but the wicked humour that permeates the film is absolutely devastating, and I mean that in the best possible way. Many moments in the film I find myself laughing only to think, "Should I be laughing at this." Certainly the film is loaded with uncomfortable moments, enhanced by the camerawork replete with uneasy close-ups. Most of all, this film shows how a lot can be accomplished with just a little: a cast of four and minimal scenery changes. "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf" has become an absolute icon of American cinema. If you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?

Hyperkinetic fantasy actioner, 19 April 2000

You know it's going to be a wild ride when bodies are being chopped in half five seconds into the film. The manic pace of this film never lets up, the assault of flashing swords, flying bodies, snakes, needles, throwing stars, whips, needles and kitchen sinks (all right, not really, but I think you get my point) is almost too much to absorb all in one sitting. But what really makes the film is the striking performance by Brigitte Lin as the villain. She's fast becoming my favourite HK actress, and her wicked performance here is a big reason why. Her character is so captivating that the next "Swordsman" film was apparently centered around her character. The only letdown is that for the bulk of the film, she's dubbed (with a male voice), but since that's integral to the plot, I'll let it slide. For fans of HK fantasy/action films, this is very much worth your while.

Zeisters (1986)
Agony personified, 18 April 2000

Abandon hope all ye who enter here. This may well be one of the worst movies of any notoriety I've ever had the misfortune to see. The wacky title may pique your curiosity, but make no mistake...this film isn't "so bad it's good", it's just irredeemably awful and stultifyingly dull. It's overloaded with long stretches of *nothing* where you pray that something, *anything* even slightly interesting might happen, but it doesn't. Apparently, someone thought this was a "comedy", but I fail to see anything in it that anyone with a brain might find funny, even unintentionally. I wasn't offended by any of it, I was too bored to be offended. The one bright spot in this horrible film is the mesmerizing acoustic-guitar soundtrack by Leo Kottke. Skip this horrible film, and buy Kottke's _6 and 12 String Guitar_ CD instead, you'll be glad you did.

Dumb Italian slapstick, 18 April 2000

This goofy Italian slapstick comedy was obviously made to capitalize on the kung-fu craze of the early 70's. Though released in the U.S. under the title "Hercules Against Karate", there's no Hercules to be seen here. It concerns two Americans, a blond babyface and his big, burly lunkhead sidekick who woo two pretty young ladies in Hong Kong while fending off high-kicking bad guys and sumo wrestlers (don't ask). There's an irritating cute kid and some toilet humor. It all resembles a Bud Spencer/Terrence Hill film, but minus Hill and Spencer.

My head hurts, 18 April 2000

I'd be hard-pressed to find a more painful film. Nausea-inducing camera twists, seemingly random editing (try and find a scene that has anything to do with the one that preceded it), bad lighting, bad acting, nonexistent writing and a lack of *anything* that makes a good, or coherent film. Add to all that one of the lamest twist endings in cinema history, with out any sort of plot to justify it, and you have one infuriating film. It was so difficult to sit through, I was almost in tears by the end. One of those films you can't enjoy on any level, even as camp.