Will-35

Reckless (1995)
excellent film, beautiful and touching, 5 June 2005

This is an excellent film by Norman Rene. The final installment of three films that Rene made.

I thought it was beautifully done and particularly loved Mia Farrow in this film.

For me, the film exploresidentity in the same ways as his earlier film, prelude to a kiss....

and perhaps also explores issues related to HIV/AIDS, much like his earlier two films. This is NOT the stage play, like any film of previously written material it illustrates the directors point of view. I highly recommend this film, it's a rare delight W

one of my all time favourite films, 17 July 2003

I saw this when it came out in 87.. I found it brilliant. Monique Spaziani gives an inspired performance as a woman imprisioned by her times. There is a sense of melancholy that pervades the film. The cinematography is beautiful. As usual, Gabriel Arcand's gorgeous face shows the emotions of a man confused by his mothers abandonment. I think it may be a difficult film for those used to Hollywood standards fo filmmaking...but it is wholely and unashamedly Canadian, strangly enough, it concerns someone who has to interpret Hollywood to Canadian people, I think Francis Mankiewicz purposely used a non-traditional way to tell the story to offset this plot device.

Better than the first one, 6 July 2003

I found Legally Blonde 2 to be a great summer movie. I am not the target audience for this film, but I still found it enjoyable, engaging and a lot of fun. I was reminded of those great Judy Holiday movies of the fifties..."It Should Happen to You", "Solid Gold Cadillac" and "Born Yesterday". There were some forced allusions to "Mr Smith goes to Washington", but I really think that this film owes its inspiration to Judy Holiday.

Reese Witherspoon is, as always, enchanting. It is interesting to me to see someone so engaging on screen. Time will tell if she will outlast her counterparts like Meg Ryan. For a summer film, this one is charming, has a message (not a great message, but a message) and is a lot of fun. If you like this movie, check out those old Judy Holiday flicks, they are among my favourite films

best of Scorsese, 22 January 2003

This has to be one of the greatest films made in the 70's and in my opinion, is the best film Scorsese ever made. The cinematography is amazing. I recall being just blown away by the look of the film when it first was released. Several scenes were later deleted and the film didn't do well in general release. I think one day people will realize how great this film is and the missing pieces will be gathered back together (as they did with "A Star is Born" and others. Until then, get a copy of the 163 minute version... it's a blast!

beautiful film, 22 January 2003

I love this film. It remains one of my favourite films of all time, overlooked and misunderstood, one day someone will rediscover it I'm sure. I have the soundtrack which I've listened to regularly since it was released. Teri Garr is wonderful as is Lainie Kazan...

I loved this movie, 27 February 2002

I found this film sensational! I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival and thought it was lovely, thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable. Some really great performances as well... well worth seeing or owning!

quite an incredible movie going experience, 1 April 2001

As a fan of Edith Wharton I was interested (but doubtful) in seeing the film adaptation of the novel. I had reservations as I think that most great novels fail in their adaptation to another medium. This film was completely wonderful. Not only is does it deliver the themes of the novel, I was bowled over by Gillian Anderson's performance as Lily Bart. She shows what a truly remarkable actress she is. The most amazing thing is that she changes her acting style slightly as the film progresses, which is quite remarkable given that the film was obviously not shot in sequence. The power and consistency of her performance was remarkable. Truly one of those great acting turns that will make this film watchable for years to come. Why wasn't she nominated for best actress? oh, I forgot, it's the academy awards...

a huge disappointment, 12 September 2000

This is one of the weakest excuses for a film I've ever seen. I am truly surprised that quality actors like Malkovich and Dafoe agreed to be associated with it. It is sloppily written, full of cliches and has one of the most moronic plots in the history of film....avoid this one like the plague it is!

moving and beautifully filmed, 20 September 1999

I really loved this one. I think it's Hollands BEST film to date. The actors, especially Ed Harris as the priest with doubts are excellent and the story is both moving and thought provoking. Holland was at the screening I saw and said that she does not make films to send a message but rather to tell a story. I think in this case, she manages both beautifully

Judas Kiss (1998)
great film, 19 February 1999

This is a really great film in the pulp fiction genre with a touch of film noir thrown in. Truly one of Emma Thompson's best performances to date...this film has everything, it's well written, well directed, beautifully films, and has some great performances. I don't know why it didn't catch on. It's spectacular!