HunterK

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Royal Rumble (2001) (TV)
One word: KANE!, 10 February 2001

Along with Backlash, Fully Loaded and Summerslam (all year 2000), this was is one of my favorite WWF pay-per-views. Aside from Ivory vs Chyna (which was inexcusable crap), every match was solid and excellent. The Dudley Boyz vs Edge & Christian for the Tag Team Titles was very exciting and a good starter for the great pay-per-view. Kurt Angle vs Triple H for the WWF Title was very good, though it ended differently than I expected. Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho for the Intercontinental Title was the best match of the night and definitely the best of the year so far.

And of course there was the main event, the Royal Rumble itself. It was very exciting and entertaining, with great action moments and very funny moments too. It featured the returns of the Big Show, Al Snow and Haku. It included funny moments from Drew Carey and the Honky Tonk Man. The overall Rumble was very good, with Stone Cold Steve Austin winning, of course.

Everybody knew Stone Cold was going to win, but the most impressive of the night was obviously Kane. Kane, who has always been one of my favorite wrestlers, was in the Royal Rumble for over an hour. He outlasted everybody and took out more wrestlers than anybody else did. Though he was one of the first ones out, he was also the last one eliminated, and it was almost disappointing to see Austin beat him. You've got to be impressed with Kane. It was truly his night.

Royal Rumble (2000) (TV)
Another good WWF PPV event, 29 September 2000

WWF is the greatest wrestling federation out there, by far. The year 2000 Royal Rumble was not the best of the year, but it was very good. This PPV was important in many ways. It showed the premiere of Tazz, who ended Kurt Angle's long time winning streak. It had a very memorable first-ever Tag Team Table Match, in which the Hardy Boyz defeated the Dudley Boyz, who are the true masters of tables. Chris Jericho became the undisputed Intercontinental Champion after defeating Chyna and Hardcore Holly. Triple H defended his WWF Title in an excellent "street fight" match against "Cactus Jack" Mick Foley. The Royal Rumble itself, in which 30 wrestlers would compete to be the last one thrown out of the ring, was the best of the night. The Rock won and became the Number One Contendor for the WWF Title and would recieve a title shot at Wrestlemania. The whole PPV was very entertaining and cool. The only bad thing was when Mae Young won the "Miss Rumble" Contest. No one wants to see a near-80 year old woman's breast! *YUCK!* But aside from that, very good.

WWF SmackDown! (2000) (VG)
Very addicting, very fun, 24 June 2000

This game is hard to put down what's you get into it. It's probably the best wrestling video game in a long time. You can fight or fight as all the WWF superstars like The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin Triple H, The Big Show, Mankind, The Undertaker, Kane and Chris Jericho. Unfortunately, it's just a little out of date and some great wrestlers like Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. There are also a few wrestlers in there who aren't as big anymore or are just retired, like Gangrel and Mark Henry. This game also lacks commentators and there could be more interactions (rumors on the internet were that there was a lot more interaction than this game actually has). But the game is still excellent. You can make friends/enemies with other wrestlers, fight for championships, fight in PPV's, watch matches or even be the referree. This game is very fun and worth buying.

Wow, 17 June 2000

Finally, I saw this movie for the first time yesterday. I've always heard that SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was a great movie, but I'd never seen it. Now I have, and I've learned that there was no exaggeration. This movie was incredible; I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is about an FBI-trainee named Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) who is trying to track down and stop a serial killer named Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine) who has been killing girls throughout the country. In order to do so, she questions Dr. Hannibal Lector (Anthony Hopkins). Dr. Lector is a brilliant physiologist who is a convicted serial killer. He appears polite, but is actually a very dangerous and intelligent psychopath who eats his victims.

I can't express how great I thought this movie was. Just about every scene with Anthony Hopkins was mesmerizing, especially his dialogue with Jodie Foster. The last conversation between the two in this movie was chilling to the bone. Dr. Lector's escape was probably the greatest scene in the movie, while also one of the most disturbing. When he beats a helpless guard to death with a nightstick, it reminds you that he is not the harmless man that he looks like.

Anthony Hopkins, of course, stole the show. He stole every single scene he was in. Jodie Foster did a very good job also as the young, ambitious FBI trainee trying to put an end to another madman's reign and, in doing so, smother the pains of her past. Ted Levine also did a notable job as another very different madman than Lector. I sincerely hated Levine's character by the end of this movie.

There are many memorable scenes in this movie. The prison break, as I mentioned earlier, is one of the more memorable ones. The most intense scene of the movie, in my opinion, is when Jodie Foster is being stalked in the dark near the end of the film. Anytime that Lector talks, you will probably feel shivers up your spine. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. If you still haven't seen it, see it right away.

I miss this show!, 21 March 2000

This show was one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. I have very fond memories of this show and I wish they'd bring it back on reruns somewhere. Bronson Pinchot (Balki) and Mark Linn-Baker (Larry) are the perfect match, each with very different kinds of humor. Larry has a more scheming, intellegent kind of humor. Balki has more of a dumb, physical kind of humor. The two balance it perfectly and make this show one of the funniest of it's time.

The Amanda Peet show!, 27 February 2000

I watch this show occasionally for a few reasons. One, I like the WB because of Angel and Buffy. Two, it seemed to have an interesting story and point of view. But the main reason is the adorable Amanda Peet who I think is one of the most beautiful girls on TV. I will watch an episode anytime just for her.

As for the rest of the show, all of the same when it comes to WB shows. It is interesting to see the girls and the guys talking about the same thing from two viewpoints, but it's all predictable stuff. It's a lot like Felicity and Buffy but older. Whoever was in charge of casting did an excellent job, because all the actresses are hot and I'm sure girls would find the guys attractive too. Once again, Amanda Peet is an angel. I also like Simon Rex because I saw him on Felicity and think he's a pretty good actor.

Anyway, I love the Amanda Peet show and will watch it whenever I see it on. As for the other elements of this show...it's not bad at all. Maybe not worth setting my VCR to tape it when I'm away, but worth watching when I see it on.

Would've been better with just a touch of more action, 27 February 2000

I though REINDEER GAMES was a pretty good movie, especially compared to some other movies of the year 2000 so far, but I think there should have been a little more action than there actually was. There was quite a lot of buildup to the casino robbery, but when it finally got there, not much happened. The ending was very good. Just when you think you've identified all the twists, there's another one right there.

Rudy (Ben Affleck), a car-thief, and his cellmate Nick (James Frain), a guy who killed another man while defending his girlfriend, are both about to be freed from jail when Nick is murdered during a lunch fight. Rudy decides to pretend to be him when his pen-pal-like girlfriend Ashley (Charlize Theron), who never met Nick before, comes to find him. The two really hit it off and things are going well, until Ashley's brother Gabriel (Gary Sinise) finds Rudy and threatens to kill him if he doesn't help them get into and rob a casino, which the real Nick previously worked at.

The plot is actually pretty cool, but it's hard to believe that this bunch of idiot-thieves would really believe that this was the real Nick, even after he told them time after time that he wasn't. There are many great twists at the end which leads to an unpredictable, although somewhat unbelievable, ending. The characters are pretty cool, about half of which turn out to be different from whom you originally thought.

Ben Affleck, new to the action genre, did a pretty good job. After proving himself to be able to play very different parts, like in Dogma, Armageddon and now this, I think he is really going places. Charlize Theron did an OK job as well as the mysterious girlfriend of Nick. Gary Sinise stole the show. I really like this guy. Boy can he act! He's played so many different characters very well. Gary doesn't do as well as the villain as he did in SNAKE EYES or RANSOM, but he still did a very good and believable job.

The main flaw in this movie was the lack of action until the end. The casino robbery itself should've been more action-packed, like it seemed on the commercial. Even in the ending there was more irony and surprise than there was action. But the story and was action was there was still very well done. I'd recommend this movie over many of the movies out now.

Fair, but maybe a little fast if you didn't already know the story, 26 February 2000

I already knew the story behind FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON before I saw the TV movie. I've always thought the story was, although maybe a little sad, a pretty interesting story. And I really like the way it was written when I read it, through the eyes of Charlie and his journal. I had once seen a very old version of FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON movie based on the book. As I recall, the acting was horrible and the movie was badly presented, but it was ok because it was true to the book. This one is the opposite. It's still very good, but it has good acting and was presented well, but is a little less similar to the book.

Charlie Gordan (Matthew Modine) is a retarded gentleman who wants more than anything to learn and be a genius. He attends regular classes for special people taught by the beautiful Alice Kinian (Kelli Williams). When Dr. Strauss (Ron Rifkin) is testing an operation that can make mentally retarded people incredibly smart, Alice sets Charlie up for it as a test. Charlie becomes incredibly smart, with an IQ over 200, but is very unhappy when he realizes that this whole time his so-called "friends" were actually mocking him behind his back. Just as he starts to find happiness when he falls in love with Alice, and Alice falls in love with him, he learns that the effects of the operation are only temporary and has to try his hardest to learn how to stop from becoming retarded again.

This movie lacks a few things from the original. One is that it is not presented through the viewpoint of Charlie's journal, of course. This couldn't have been done, but it was a lot better from that viewpoint. Algernon, the mouse that was another test for this operation that Charlie makes friends with, is underplayed. It's strange to say a mouse was underplayed, but it's true. Considering that Algernon is in the title, this is strange. The beginning of this movie is also kind of rushed and can be confusing if you didn't already know the story.

But the solid acting and great dramatic scenes make up for all the faults. Matthew Modine does great as both the stupid and smart Charlie Gordan. Kelli Williams certainly stole the show. Whether she was crying or laughing, the emotions seemed so real. She did an excellent job.

One thing that I found very strange was that many places, even this database, listed this movie as a comedy. It's no comedy. What are we expected to laugh at? The ignorant retarded people? Do you find that funny? I sure didn't. This movie is way more of a drama with an interesting plot. It's certainly not a comedy.

I'd recommend reading the original story above seeing this movie. But if it came down to a choice between this one and the older movie based on the same story, I'd choose this one in a heartbeat. If it's ever on TV again, it's certainly worth watching.

One of my favorites!, 25 February 2000

BUFFY is one of my favorite shows. I watched it not really expecting anything great because the movie was horrible. But I couldn't believe how well Joss Whendon had changed it around and made it not only bearable, but great! It's got love, horror, comedy, action, adventure, you name it! And some good actors too.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is the coolest, and Buffy is a really cool character. I also love Anya, Willow, Spike, Amy and Ms. Calendar. Xander, Giles, Riley, Oz, Cordelia, Angel and all the rest are great too. Even the ANGEL spinoff is one of my favorite shows, and that hardly ever happens with a spinoff for me. The character development is the best on TV when it comes to this show. You learn to love these characters, and when they leave or die, it's like Joss ripped your heart out.

I don't think Season 4 is quite as good as Seasons 2 & 3, but it's much better than 1. But all of them were/are great. There's always fresh new ideas and it never gets old. I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Great sketch comedy, 23 February 2000

I love sketch comedy. SNL and The Daily Show are two of my favourite shows ever, and I also like Monty Python and Kids in the Wall a lot. So I was willing to try out Upright Citizens Brigade. The commercials were right, this is some seriously ****ed up sketch comedy, but it's also pretty funny. The way they tie stuff together at the beginning is great, and hardly ever done in sketch comedy. The timing is great, the jokes are funny and the show is original. What more could you want. I also really like Amy Poehler, the cute, funny and talented comedienne who steals every scene she's in.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]