paparay

Rogue One (2016)
Bored One. Let down... too many dark (low-light) scenes., 9 January 2017

Once you've seen the special effects of the other Star Wars films, this film was no big deal. We went to see it this afternoon, and both of us were ready to walk out after about 45 minutes. Way too many scenes in the dark. On this line I'll say that it's OK if you've not seen any other Star Wars films. On this line I'll say that I wish I didn't have to write a minimum of 10 lines. On this line I'll say that we rented the latest Jason Bourne film and watched it when we got home and really liked the excitement... really liked THAT film better than Bored One. (Preview my reviewing...) Oh, come on! I have to include more lines? Well here goes. I recognized the beach and palm trees scenes, partly because the palm trees were perfectly set in nice rows. I had heard that the battle of the last hour was fantastic, terrific, and really great, but, ho-hum. It was the same old stuff.

Anti-fracking, made-for-teens fun?, 9 May 2016

Potty-mouth, sex-on-their minds teenagers are most of this flick. Look past the physical impossibility of most of what causes the tense moments. Best part of the movie is when the dirty-mouthed, bullying teenager gets his payback. The grownup humor catches one off guard, and is not overdone. There's love interest too. (I'm not talking about what goes on between the hormone charged teens. Mom and dad have some smoothing out to do, as they are getting ready for divorce as the movie begins. For a tree-hugging movie, some lines don't seem to fit, like: "We're going to lose an entire city, so what's a few thousand trees?" Spoiler: It has a happy ending.

Entertaining... Why else watch a thriller like this one?, 9 January 2015

I rated this film pretty high since for me it was quite exciting and had some romance in it. Seeing all the big name actors and actress made it somewhat unrealistic, but I would recommend this to folks I know who just want to be entertained and don't care about details that are less than totally realistic. You know that the good guys are going to win in the end, but that doesn't matter. I felt the action scenes were well enough done that I found myself gripping my chair sometimes. I wanted the bad guy(s) to get another kick when they finally got what was coming to them. I watched it on Netflix, so I didn't pay the price for a theater ticket to see it, but I really would have felt I got my money's worth if I HAD paid to see it... it was that good. I would have preferred less profanity, but was glad it was PG-13, cause I wouldn't have watched it if it had been rated R.

Godzilla (2014)
1998 much better... Bring back the 1950s' rubber suits!, 22 May 2014

This film was not as big a letdown as it would have been had I not read some of the reviewers that hated the movie. One reason we didn't get a good look at Godzilla until the last portion of the film is because seeing from the beginning would have been too much of a letdown. The monsters he fought were just as stupid-looking and impossible in a real world where the laws of physics (weight, flying, quick movement by zillion-ton creatures) reign, as G was. OK, no spoilers, so how do I get three more lines in this box? You know, I wouldn't even rent this film when it comes out on DVD/BluRay. Oh... there was no applause (Hope that isn't a spoiler.) When Rodan... I mean Godzilla took on the other monsters, probably because there were about ten others (No, not ten other monsters, people.) in the theater, all old fogies like me, who thought the 1950s rubber-suited Japanese Godzilla was better, in its day, than this one in 2014.

Don't bother with this one., 11 March 2014

This IS a boring film, particularly in the beginning. I had read all the reviews posted here before watching it. If there IS a guy named Dutch in the film, why does his accent have to sound like a Dutchman? Maybe it was Fritz one reviewer was referring to. Fritz spoke English really good. Now the little Puerto Rican boy, he was something else. He spoke in broken English, but should have been coached to not make perfect Rs and Ts when he spoke, thus sounding more like a kid who couldn't speak English very well. I agree whole-heartedly with the reviewer who pointed out that a man was murdered by softly tapping his head on the floor three times. The film editor must have forgotten to cut out every other frame at that point to make it look like his head was hitting the floor hard. I gave this film a 3 because after reading the other reviews, I was ready for a terribly boring film. I felt the film could have been a lot more so... boring.

This could turn out to be a tear-jerker for you., 11 November 2013

I agree with what the reviewer who gave this episode a 10/10 had to say. I have only seen two other episodes from the 1st series, and maybe 9 is a little high, but I thought, being a 65-year-old male, that it was quite emotional in a soft-hearted way. For a TV14 rated series, this episode was quite mild. There was no blood, none of that rotten language that some kids' parents might not want them to hear. There were plenty of tense moments, but about half way through the episode there comes a point where we see why person was driven to the point where the action starts. I think this episode is better when one doesn't know any of the details beforehand. I'm not talking about spoilers. Just let yourself be entertained. If you have loved ones, like a husband or wife, maybe an uncle past middle age, you may find this episode tugs at your heartstrings.

License to Kill (1984) (TV)
I wanted to see Denzel Washington and was not sorry I rented it., 21 August 2010

I paid a buck to see this film. Yep, Denzel Washington did not have a spectacular part. I will recommend this film for it's great message. Denzel Washington does well in portraying the helplessness that must often be felt by people who are wronged and have to wait for justice to be done. Perhaps they feel justice does not get done. The tragedy and heartache suffered by the offended and by the offending persons in this film is well portrayed. Don't buy it, rent it for $1.04 like I did. (Is that ten lines yet?) Nope, it wouldn't let me go. So I'll repeat some things for emphasis. I paid a buck to see this film. Yep, Denzel Washington did not have a spectacular part. I will recommend this film for it's great message. Denzel Washington does well in portraying the helplessness that must often be felt by people who are wronged and have to wait for justice to be done. Perhaps they feel justice does not get done. The tragedy and heartache suffered by the offended and by the offending persons in this film is well portrayed. Don't buy it, rent it for $1.04 like I did.

Eraserhead (1977)
Try to find the d-e-a-p meaning in this cult classic, 5 May 2007

Some years ago I tried watching this weird, disgusting film and quit about half way through. Recently I rented the DVD and stuck with it through the end, even watching the director, Lynch, tell about making it. Give a weird guy the money to spend making a movie, and he'll make a weird movie. Watch this movie and you may be kicking yourself for wasting the time, like I did. Yes, the sound was cool and the lighting was great. But so what? There are many things in this film that make a normal person feel uncomfortable. But hey, isn't that why we watch films? This film could be seen as making fun of people with mental challenges. But hey, it's freedom of expression and boy, and didn't he use some great techniques? I can't help wondering what those guys were on when they were making the movie over several years. Be sure to watch the special story (It's a hum-dinger!) of making the movie. I WILL say that I liked Lynch's Elephant Man, but I haven't seen any of his other stuff.

Very watchable B movie without gratuitous gore, 5 May 2007

I saw this movie in the theater when it first came out and was really impressed. Over the years I have wanted to see it again and was delighted that it must have recently come out on DVD. Watching it for the second time in 35 years at home in the morning is not nearly as effective as watching it in the dark the first time. The first time I watched it I WAS wondering if it was all just to scare Jessica, but this time, the ending leaves no doubt if they were just scaring her or not. The intensity builds throughout the film right through to the end. Carefully watch Jessica in the scene while the credits role. It will be like the film's message continues through your last glimpse. A couple of the comments by those who didn't like the film make reference to Jessica's smile. It gave a sense of innocence or gullibility to her character.

10 being the funniest, 0 being a tiny bit funny, this is a 0, 27 March 2006

Yes, this will contain spoilers, because I am going to list for you the funniest parts of this film, starting with the most hilarious and ending with the least funny. #10: They get excited about their vehicle taking off, but it moves a couple of feet and dies. #9: The big magnet on their vehicle sucks up everything iron, even a villain's pants buttons, making them fall down around his ankles. #8: The weapon accidentally shoots down a satellite circling the earth. #7: It's dark outside during the night scenes. #6: The title of the movie, "Mystery Men", does not account for one of the heroes being a woman. #5: A bad guy sharpens his pinky's fingernail before attempting to do harm to a Mystery Man. #4: There was air in most of the rooms during the film. #3: "Mystery Men" spelled backwards does not spell "Nem Yretsym Clod". #2: A hero does not use his shovel, his main weapon, to open a cloud on Jupiter, nor on one of its moons. And finally, #1: As you watch the credits at the end of the film, somewhere within those last 6 minutes, in the reflexion of your TV screen, you see a cat on the lawn outside. I'll admit that I might have missed something even funnier, had I not watched a Cleanfilms edited version. But beware, this film just MAY be the one makes you laugh dying.