Gordon-11

Page 1 of 280:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Escape Room (2017/I)
It's actually quite thrilling, 20 October 2017

This film tells the story of four friends who go to an escape game where they have to solve a series of puzzles to get out of a room.

"Escape Room" is a low budget horror film, but it does the job of delivering a lot of thrills and scares. I can imagine how scary it must have been to be in the room and not being able to get out! The danger increases with time, and therefore thrill and urgency increase too. I enjoyed watching it, as it is more engaging than the average low budget horror film.

Strong ending, 19 October 2017

This film tells the story of two young women who have to deal with the survivor's guilt after a traffic accident that kills their good friend.

The first twenty minutes are rather confusing, as some scenes do not make sense without knowing the traumatic experience of the women. I think the experience is revealed slightly too late, and I had to re-watch the first forty minutes to make sense of the scenes. The next twenty minutes comprises of many sex scenes. Sex is a way for them to cope, but Catherine's liaisons are a bit twisted. The final thirty minutes are very strong, as they have to deal with the aftermath of their messed up situation. The scene where Iris stands up on the bar top is very emotional. I sympathise with their unfortunate situation. The last thirty minutes saved the film for me. I enjoyed watching it.

Wind River (2017)
A chilling tale, 16 October 2017

This film tells the story of a young female FBI agent, who goes to a remote, snow covered Indian territory to investigate the death of a young woman.

"Wind River" has a slow pace, in keeping with the icy cold environment and the grim topic. It tells why the hunter wants to help, and fortunately he does help work the investigation. It is a chilling take, because I could hardly believe the reaction of those at the workplace just outside the trailer. The community is depicted to be very unsafe, with many members of the community in jail or deserving to go to jail. Life is hard, just to keep living is hard too.

A slow and exasperating build up, 16 October 2017

This film tells the story of a drug addicted man who goes to a mountain cabin to stay away from drugs. He goes snowboarding, but he soon gets lost in the mountains and have no way to get help. He has to fight for survival.

The story is built very slowly, and there are many occasions when I wonder why he does what he does in the film. I don't know snowy mountains at all, but I would have imagined that there can be better decisions and actions than he exhibits. For example, going off the designated paths is not something I would do. Reaching for the bag of drugs after falling into icy water is probably not a good idea. Snowboarding down the slopes after knowing that you are lost seem unwise as well. I don't know if it is possible to backtrack on himself, or at least go to higher grounds to check for the presence of any buildings. The weather in the first few days were good, so he could have gone upwards for help, my logic tells me. Given all these questions and plot points that defy my logic, it is hard to get into the film because I feel exasperated.

The fight for survival is not particularly engaging, as there is little to captivate viewers, and little suspense to drive the film. Though it is exhilarating to see the satisfying ending, the process to the climax does not capture me.

Overdrive (2017)
An entertaining film, 16 October 2017

This film tells the story of two brothers who are in trouble because of the heist of a very high end car. To redeem their crime, they are forced to steal the most prized possession of a powerful man's car.

"Overdrive" dedicates quite a bit of screen time showcasing fantastic vintage cars. I don't know much about cars myself, but I can imagine that these scenes are real exciting for car fans. The numerous car chase scenes, together with the numerous fancy cars, remind me of "The Fast and the Furious" series. The characters are fun and charismatic. The film is fun and entertaining. I enjoyed watching it.

An engaging documentary, 15 October 2017

This documentary film tells the remarkable ordeal of a famous South Korean actress and a film director, who were kidnapped by North Korea in 1970's to strengthen the North Korean film industry. The actress recounts her multi-year ordeal, together with interviews from multiple people and the film director's voice recordings to tell the world their experience.

"The Lovers & the Despot" is a well executed documentary. It appears comprehensive, as it has extended interviews by Choi, Choi's children, US government officials, international film critics and even a Hong Kong police officer. It tells a horrible story of kidnapping, brainwashing and torture. It must have taken them great courage to speak up on record against the most secretive regime in the world. It is engaging and captures me throughout. Even though it is comprehensive, I am quite sure it only scratches the surface of what they have gone through in North Korea.

Too dark and evil for a Lego movie, 14 October 2017

This film tells the story of a ninja in training, who happens to be the son of an evil warlord who wants to conquer the island he lives on. He, his six friends and the Ninja Master goes to save the island from the evil warlord and the monster that attacks the island.

I really liked "The Lego Movie" because it was fun, happy and positive. In "The LEGO Ninjago Movie", the same could not be said. It is dark, evil and pretty scary. Firing characters out of a volcano, dumping people in molten lava is not the family entertainment I had in mind. Though the cat is funny, it would have been nice to have some consistency in naming the cat. In the beginning the characters refer to the cat as a monster, as if they have (correctly) never seen one before. In the end, the cat is referred to as a cat and a kitty, as if all fears towards this monster have evaporated. Though the father and son plot is good for adults, and there are some funny one line jokes, it is not quite enough for me to like this dark themed family film.

Good story, 14 October 2017

This film tells the story of a school girl who finds a pretty transparent ball by the sea. She plans to run away from home to escape from her unhappy home, but her escape fails until her friend finds out the supernatural power that the transparent ball has.

"Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or The Bottom?" is so different from what I thought. It is in fact not really about fireworks, but a science fiction story that is akin to the previous animation "Your Name". The story is sad, especially when I hear Nazuna's wailing cries, which are very depressing and spine chilling. I sympathise with her situation. Her plan to make money in Tokyo is even more upsetting, which indicates that her home situation must have been very bad.

The story is quite easy to understand, and is interesting. The Seiko Matsuda song that is sung in the tram is really beautiful, I should check it out. The very final scene is a bit puzzling, and is open to interpretation. I heard people discussing about it, which is a good sign because it means people liked it enough to talk about the film.

The journey to acceptance and resolution, 13 October 2017

This film tells the story of a midwife in a Japanese village, who lost her son in the Nagasaki nuclear bombing in 1945. After three years, she finally comes to terms with her son's death. Right after that, her son's spirit appears and chats with her about their past, present and future.

The film shows the simple life in a Japanese village after the war. Resources are scarce, and food is rationed. People still help each other out in the village, and the sense of community remains strong.

Much of the film occurs in the house, and shots are rather static. It may seem boring to the modern day cinema goer who is used to fast pacing, but in here it augments the mood of austerity, emptiness and loss. They talk at length about their past, present and future. The supporting characters, namely Machiko and Shanghai uncle are captivating characters too.

I find it interesting that the inability to accept the reality shifts from the mother, the girlfriend and then the son. As time goes by, they all reach resolutions respectively. It is a good story.

A striking thing for me is that the characters in the film are Christians. It may be the filmmaker's way to show that there are more similarities between different nationalities, and there is really only one humanity. People should support each other and seek happiness, just like the characters in the film do.

The lives and outcomes of two very different women, 13 October 2017

This film tells the story of a nice old woman in an unhappy marriage, who bumps into a former film star. She is coerced into a trip to France by the film star.

The two women have very different personalities and very different hearts. One is nice, helpful but carries a burden in her heart. The other is a selfish and manipulative woman who will use everyone around her. Different things happen to them, and it's refreshing to have a reminder that nice things happen to nice people. The scenery is nice and the weather is beautiful too. There are many things to like about this film. It is worth a watch.

Page 1 of 280:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]