Gordon-11

Page 1 of 230:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Disturbing and unsettling, 24 May 2016

This film tells the story of a journalist, who goes to a small town to cover a story of a man with bipolar disorder, who is believed to have done something which led to the death of his wife in the sea.

From the description, I thought the film would be an introspective film about a tormented man. In reality, the film is about a group of violent and severely disturbed townsmen who uses every means possible to get their way. The violence is graphic and disturbing. The bipolar man serves only as a vehicle to bring out the violence in the plot. There is little ghost or whale scene, so don't expect these based on the title. After watching the film, I feel disturbed and unsettled.

A tormented soul, 24 May 2016

This film tells the story of an older man who tries to resolve his guilt from years ago, by being a generous benefactor of a hospital and if a newly wed couple.

"The Benefactor" is a touching story that shows a man trouble by his past unintentional deed. He tries to make things up, but unfortunately his good intentions do not always go the intended way. Richard Gere is convincing as a troubled soul who has unlimited resources but still cannot wash away the inner demons. No matter what he does, he is still shown be tormented. It's a heavy story, be prepared for it before you watch it.

Tangerine (2015)
It's not my taste, but the final showdown is hilarious, 23 May 2016

This film tells the story of two transgender prostitutes going around Los Angeles, and an Armenian taxi driver on Christmas Eve. Their day becomes more eventful by the minute.

I had no idea what "Tangerine" is about, and I was in for a surprise. The film basically follows the day of the three individuals, and it does so with much realism. There is so much drama in the story, with people shouting and screaming and fighting all the time. The film looks interesting and artsy, but it is not exactly my thing. However, the final showdown in the doughnut shop is hilarious, and makes the rest of the film worth watching.

High-Rise (2015)
A pointless and confusing mess, 23 May 2016

This film tells the life of the residents in a high rise apartment block in the UK, where the hierarchy and the corresponding rights of the residents are highly rigid.

"High-Rise" is certainly trying to be a metaphor for a dysfunctional society, but exactly what it is trying to mirror, I don't know. The plot is very confusing, and basically the lives of the residents and also the plot itself descend into chaos. Maybe it's trying to tell the relationship between the oppressors and the oppressed? Or is it trying to highlight the importance of elitism, and that the masses should not have power? The central theme of the film is so unclear, that I could not get into the story at all. I find it a pointless and confusing mess.

Manhattan Night (2016/II)
Progresses from OK to good, 21 May 2016

This film tells a story of a successful investigative journalist, who has found things that even policemen did not find. A chance encounter with a beautiful stranger brings him to investigate the mysterious death of a film director, which unleashes a series of unexpected and tragic events.

"Manhattan Night" starts off as rather slow, and does not quite engage me. It is like watching a forgettable erotic thriller. However, after the big and rather touching confession of a businessman, the whole film turns around and becomes intense and thrilling. Who would have guessed the outcome and the film ending? It is a great story, and reminds me of that Oscar nominated film starring Rosamund Pike. I enjoyed watching it.

Great visual effects, 20 May 2016

This film tells the story of how mutants become stronger, how they unite and betray one another in a fight against an ancient Egyptian God that aims to destroy the world and rebuild from ashes.

"X-Men: Apocalypse" is filled with my favourite stars, and I have been looking forward to watching it. The story is a bit slow paced because there is a lot of detail to be told. How each mutant comes about, and how they befriend, familiarise and cooperate with each other is told. There is a lot of background story, and at times I think the story could be a bit faster.

Fortunately, the film is filled with very good visual effects, such as the scene of the College exploding. That scene showcases the great visual effects achieved by the team, and provides comic relief in an otherwise tense scene.

For the post credit scene, there is a bit of a pause between the end of the credits and the post credit scene, which made the cinema goers wondering if they sat through the credits for nothing. After watching the scene, that thought did cross my mind, unfortunately.

It's so funny!, 14 May 2016

This film tells the story of a holiday romance quickly going into a marriage marriage. The groom's four best friends become the best men n the wedding which turns out to be a prominent wedding of a politician's daughter. However the best men do not behave, and the wedding is almost off.

I could not believe how funny the story is! It looks vaguely familiar to "The Hangover" but with a bit of difference, because the hilarity happens during the wedding instead of before the wedding. Just as you think the wedding cannot get worse, it gets worse and worse. It is super crazy funny.

I enjoyed it, 14 May 2016

This film tells the story of four women who are single, but have different ways to approach being single. Some of them want a relationship, while some of them want to remain single.

"How to Be Single" is not a step by step guide on how to remain single, as I thought it might be. It is actually quite a realistic take on the modern dating and relationship world. It shows some people are afraid of relationships, some people are desperate, while some people are inept at getting relationship.

The plot is sweet, bitter and bittersweet, reflecting what urban people go through in the dating world. I enjoyed watching it.

The Boss (2016)
Very forgettable, 12 May 2016

This film tells the story of an orphan girl, who grows up to be a successful but ruthless businesswoman. she gets hit by a business opponent, and she gets burnt to the ground. She makes a spectacular comeback with the help of her former employee, but with a few hiccups.

The plot of "The Boss" is quite silly and unrealistic. There is a lot of vulgarity in it, but the overall result is funny. It got me laughing out loud many times, mostly because the situations they get into is just so far fetched or gross.

After the super hilarious "Spy", I had high hopes for "The Boss". However, "The Boss" is not the same level of comedy as "Spy", as it is not as entertaining or as clever. "The Boss" is purely brain off entertainment, and it is very forgettable.

I enjoyed it!, 11 May 2016

This film tells the story of a couple who are selling their house to move up the ladder, as they are expecting their second child. Unfortunately, the house next door is taken up by a sorority, making their buyer backing out of the sale.

"Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising" is just so funny! Having bad neighbours is bad, but they make the whole situation super hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times, especially the garage scene involving air bags. The jokes about bad parenting are really funny too. That child's toy is so funny. And the scene about stealing from the sorority during the fiar is just riotous.

I think people will just put this off as a comedy, but it is actually very clever and has even got thought provoking moments. I really enjoyed watching it.

Page 1 of 230:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]