Gordon-11

Page 1 of 234:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not funny, 26 June 2016

This film tells the story of two men who fake their own death, and take up the identities of two rich men with a mansion in Puerto Rico. Just as their high lives are getting very fun, some serious trouble shows up at the doorstep.

The story is a bit disturbing, because of the dishonesty involved in impersonating dead people. In addition, the circumstances leading to the discovery of the dead men are too fishy to be believed. The jokes are at times offensive, and even homophobic. Times have changed, homophobic jokes are not funny anymore. It just makes the film look desperate in trying to make people laugh, and it stops at no length. The film is not funny. It is just sad.

I'm not feeling it, 25 June 2016

This film tells the story of a couple who is invited to a dinner party at a friend's place. They arrive, expecting a reunion of friends, only to find awkward and strange events in the party.

The social interaction in the party is certainly very awkward, and the awkwardness lasts for far too long for me to enjoy the film. After an hour into the story, finally there's something to see. Unfortunately the events happen fast and in darkness, there are times when  I can hardly figure out what is happening. This is a pity, as the story could have been thrilling and mysterious. It seems many people like this film, but I'm not feeling it.

Fun and entertaining, 25 June 2016

This film tells the story of a famous rapper group, and one of them, called Conner, goes solo. Conner achieves much success, but his career hits a series of lows when he releases his second solo album.

The fun thing about this film is that at times it runs like a mock documentary. A lot of famous stars are interviewed, all proclaiming how amazing Conner is. That itself is so funny! The events portrayed are just so funny! I'm particularly amused by Seal making fun of himself. The songs Conner sings are at times so bad that makes me laugh out loud. I enjoy all the famous cameos too. I really enjoyed watching it, because it's so entertaining.

A thrill, 24 June 2016

This film tells the story of a couple who takes in a foster son, after the death their own child. They slowly discover sinister happenings, and then realise that the foster sons dreams become reality.

The synopsis makes the film sound very scary, but in fact it is more a thriller than a horror film. I think the foster son is very cute and likable, as he is so polite and well behaved. Kate Bosworth as a grieving mother is good, she portrays the role convincingly. I also notice the very good lighting effects throughout the film, enhancing the mood and suspense effectively. I enjoyed the last part of the story where mystery is being solved.

A bore, 24 June 2016

This film tells the story of Alice who goes back to wonderland to save Mad Hatter who has poor health. Alice must steal the chromosphere from Time and learn from the past.

For literally years, I read the film title as "Alice Looking Through Glass". I read it numerous times and saw the same erroneous title, so imagine my surprise that I finally realised the title is "Alice Looking Through the Looking Glass"!

Though the visuals are good, I could not get into the story because of the very unusual outlook of characters. I could hardly bear the excessive makeup of Johnny Depp, who is unrecognisable anyway. The lines are very child-like, as if spoken by and to children. I just didn't like it much. It was quite a bore.

A realistic and non sensationalised account of bipolar patients, 24 June 2016

This film tells the story of a man and a woman who meet each other in a psychiatric ward in a hospital. They bond over poetry and other artistic aspects, yet they trigger each other's manic illness that naturally causes much concern to the people around them.

"Touched With Fire" is the name of a poetry book that I had to study in my GCSE English literature course. Hence, I wanted to watch this film. To my surprise, the story is very because it is real and convincing. The two bipolar patients behave exactly like what people having a relapse behaves. Their highs and lows are realistically portrayed by the director and the acting talents. When the guy proclaims his love for manic relapses, it is almost heartbreaking to watch.

It is unusual that a film can portray bipolar lives so accurately. I really like the fact that Kay Jamieson, the author of "The Unquiet Mind", has a cameo in the film as well. "Touched With Fire" is really a hidden gem.

What an enjoyable blockbuster!, 23 June 2016

This film tells the story of humans fighting against yet another alien attack. Only this time, the aliens are invading more prepared than twenty years before.

One is forgiven to suspect the intentions of making a sequel that comes twenty years later, and indeed the quality of it. After watching it, I have to say I am completely blown away by it. The story is simple, easy to understand, which is a plus for a blockbuster. It tells the story with much urgency, as it wastes no time cutting into the chase. The visual effects are spectacular. Seeing those cities being destroyed makes my breathing stop, literally. I was astounded, and even petrified by those scenes because they look so real.

The story then tells a heroic effort to save the human species from extinction. It is a gripping story, and I am so touched by the ending. I enjoyed every minute of "Independence Day: Resurgence"; and this is what a blockbuster should be.

A sad story, 22 June 2016

This film tells the story of an English prince and an Irish princess falling in love, in the time when the two countries were hostile to reach other.

"Tristan + Isolde" tells a tale of love that could not be allowed under the societal circumstances. Their love is well portrayed and is convincing. The leading lady is charming and beautiful. The prince, played by the then not as famous James Franco, is also good in his role as a heterosexual lover. It's a sad story with lots of emotions.

The remarkable thing about this film is that it has many actors who have subsequently made it big. Even the young Tristan claims "The Maze Rubber" fame!

Enjoyable and thrilling, 21 June 2016

This film tells the story of a retired secret agent who is brought back to service, only to find himself in a dangerous chase against his protégé, the CIA and the Russians.

"The November Man" has a complicated plot, and I initially had trouble following it, and figuring out who is who. After I got the who cleared up, I find it a thrilling adventure, as people run and fight to stay alive. It tells a story of constant danger, and there is no one to be trusted. It combines action and thrill, as it has a plot that people have to watch closely in order to follow the quick pace. The adventure is intense but not mindlessly violent like some other films are. and I enjoyed it a lot.

It had so much potential, 20 June 2016

This film tells the stories of several mothers who spend Mother's Day in different ways.

"Mother's Day" can easily draw families to the cinema, because of its topic and the number of big stars. I watched it for Julia Roberts and Jennifer Aniston, but I was rather disappointed by it. These ensemble comedies have so many subplots and so many characters, that none of them are fully developed. As a result, I don't really know the characters well enough to care for any of them.

the Kate Hudson subplot is funny and entertaining enough, providing the comic relief. The Julia Roberts subplot is very disappointing, because it could have been so much better. She could have made a touching announcement on TV, which would have a far greater impact on the viewers. Instead, something else happened on TV which I don't care for at all.

"Mother's Day" had so much potential, but wasted the concept and the talent involved.

Page 1 of 234:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]