cinebuffet

Last Train To Dullsville, 3 February 2008

** THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS ** This film had me until the end and then it completely fell apart. Good acting, good photography, great settings... but from the time they arrive in Yuma until the end the film falls into the realm of the incredible. I can take a leap of faith along with the best of them, but this requires that you wear blinders.

Here is Ben Wade trying to escape the entire film, telling everyone that they are going to die at the hands of his gang unless they let him go. He fights, he kills he offers money... and then what does he do. He cooperates with Bale completely. It's almost as Bale was protecting him at the end in a game of 'capture the flag'. There are several scenes in the hotel room when Crow is alone with Bale and Bale turns his back on him. Not to hard to hit him and roll out the window.

Then the running through the streets and Crow telling Bale "look out" when a man tries to kill him? C'mon. But the most incredulous scene of all is after Bale gets shot and Crow guns down his whole crew, then surrenders his guns and peacefully hops on the prison train. Yes, I know he whistled for his horse which leads us to believe he is going to escape, but c'mon... the guy is suppose to be this ruthless killer and we're suppose to believe that after a few days on the trail with Bale he sees the errors of his ways and does this 180.

Could have been good, but the ending required a little more thought. IMO.

So Incredibly bad it's beyond description !!!, 5 August 2007

Saw this on the Sci-Fi channel. There is not one good thing about this movie. Not one! The directing. The Writing. The Lighting. The Editing all stink! The worst thing was the sound. It sounded like they recorded the sound on the built in microphone of a cheap video camera. It s amazing that something this bad could even get made.

I could only watch 20 minutes of it. From the first 30 seconds you could how bad it was going to be. I didn't think it could get worse, but it actually does. After 20 minutes I was actually laughing out loud. After 30 minutes my brain was getting numb. I will keep the copy of it do add with Plan 9 and Robot Monster.

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. If the Sci-Fi channel ever wants it's audience to grow they better start giving us better movies than this: One of the worst ever made.

Very disappointing, 15 October 2005

Let me just start by saying that I am a fan of Cameron Crow's work -- but Elizabethtown is a mess... a jumbled mix of story lines that takes far too long to develop (if they ever do) and scenes that go on forever. It seems to me that this is a very personally story to Crow and many of the moments seemed milked because of the importance they have in his life, but for the rest of us they are just plain boring and go on far too long.

Bloom's performance only confirms my opinion that he is not a great actor, his voice is weak, his manner is bland and he does not invoke any chemistry with Dunst who tries her best to do something with this wreck of a story. Self indulgent is the best word I can think of to describe this film.

Very entertaining, 3 April 2005

It's funny to me to read all the negative reviews of this movie see how angry people get. Lighten up. This is not intended to be a work of art. It is entertainment. Yes, it's obvious. Yes, it's not that original. And yes, I quite enjoyed it. If you take it for what it was meant to be, without looking for deeper meaning than you actually get caught up in the story and characters. I found myself just letting go and enjoying the ride. I can understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you want to chill and have a good time then this movie certainly delivers. The direction was good and the cast did an admirable job playing their roles. I laughed out loud several times during the film and found the ending to be very moving. It does what it is suppose to do and for that it achieves what it set out to do.

Great Movie, 26 March 2005

I could write a review of this movie and point to all the reason why I liked it... but I would rather talk about something else. We all have different views on things. Film is art and art is subjective. I find more and more on the IMDb people make their posts as if their view the absolute truth. many arm chair film critics and wannabe film bluffs add their two cents with righteousness than is offensive. Reading the various posts about this movie only makes my point. One person "FreddyShoop" says, "It is not the best film of the year, but probably in the top ten." He then proceeds to vote it as a one. Now he is certainly entitled to his opinion, but their are so many contradictions in the voting that I no longer have any faith in the voting totals. Personally I cannot see how anyone could vote this movie a one. The acting is good. The look of the film in brilliant. Not your cup of tea? Okay... but a one. No better than Police Academy 5 or Battlefield Earth? I'm not talking total votes... I'm just pointing out that people gave those films a one... In fact if you go to the highest rated film on the entire IMDb, "The Godafather" you will see that 119,493 people voted for it (as of this writing) and that out of those 7,229 people gave it a one! Incredible! Now I am not saying the people who gave it a one are not entitled to their opinion (even though I cannot understand how anyone could ever reach that conclusion) what I am saying is that I find the voting system to be misused. People seem to either vote in 10's and 1's. More thought should be given to make the votes more reliable.

Sorry, but I don't get it., 15 October 2004

SPOILERS

Saw this film the other night and while the acting was good the story left a lot to be desired.

Here is a guy (Gale) who is obviously in on the whole deception. For years he has remained quiet and then, 3 days before his execution he decides to talk to a journalist. If he is in on the suicide made to look like murder, then he obviously wants to die to prove that an innocent man can be executed. Why then bring in Kate Winslett to prove his innocence? It doesn't make any sense at all. His actions are contrary to to what he wants to happen.

Very cute, 23 December 2003

Okay this is not some deep, thought provoking movie that is going to move the depths of your soul and make you reexamine your life. It's entertainment and that is does very well. It is a very well crafted romantic comedy with some very good laughs. (8/10)

Gideon (1998)
A very charming movie, 8 December 2003

A friend of mine recently gave me the video of Gideon and I must say I was very surprised. No, there is no action, no car chases, no special effects. What it does have are wonderful performances and an interesting story. There are so few movies these days that make us think and take stock of our lives. It's nice to find a small film with a simple story, that is well acted. Gideon will never be a classic because it lacks the fundamental basic requirements to achieve that -- but for those of us who still enjoy a good story that challenges you to think and feel, then this movie is a beautiful little gem. 10/10

Memento (2000)
Very original, 26 April 2003

This movie was great. The acting the direction and especially the story. From the moment it starts you are hooked... trying to put the pieces together, but the film manages to always stay one step ahead of the viewer. A very taught and well-craft thriller. A must see !!!

A very good thriller, 11 July 1999

Caught Resurrection on HBO the other night. It had me glued to the edge of my seat. Christopher Lambert was very good as the cop searching to make his peace with God and Leland Orser played the part of his partner to perfection. I thought the sub plot of Lambert's character was very interesting. A man who has turned away from God caught up in a case that makes him confront his religious beliefs.

The story had me guessing all the way through. So many thrillers start off with a bang only to fizzle out somewhere in the middle. This one held my attention from start to finish. There several twists that I was not expecting and the suspense was very well paced. A very clever thriller.