Dando83

Disappointing, 30 July 2011

I cannot remember the last time that I watched any comedy, including a chick flick romantic comedy and didn't laugh at least once. This was such a movie. In fact, I'm not even sure I even smiled at any point.

The best thing about this movie is Uma Thurman who always plays a likable character in her comedic roles, though they all are very similar (then again, so are Cameron Diaz's, Julia Roberts', etc...).

The male lead, Morgan, isn't well tailored to movies I think. He should stick to bit parts on TV. Never warmed to his character. The guy usually plays the laughable buffoon...but he couldn't' pull that off.

Supporting roles were boring.

Cop Out (2010)
Best buddy cop action/comedy since Lethal Weapon, 12 August 2010

I knew this movie hadn't rocked the box office, but I love Bruce Willis, Tracy Morgan, Seann William Scott and Kevin Smith, so I had to watch it.

Of course the plot is pretty weak, but action is sufficiently high energy for most males and the Willis/Morgan chemistry is great and they are excellent straight/funny men. Scott added into the mix doing some really annoying, but funny, ad libbing meant that I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I must have had a good out-loud laugh every couple of minutes.

If you liked Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, or watch 30 Rock, this is worth your time.

A remarkably mature comedy, 6 June 2009

I was very impressed with this movie. Both leads have a history of toilet humour comedy. But this movie managed to treat the subject of homosexuality with a sensitive blend of humour and social equality. I was very surprised that Sandler and James were up to this.

This will let you laugh out loud but also open your eyes to the love of other lifestyles.

Great supporting acting from Biel, Rhames, and Akroyd. Dan Akroyd is great in anything I've seen. Also some funny cameos from Saturday Night Live Alumnus.

A must watch.

16 Blocks (2006)
Toned down Bruce Willis action, 11 October 2008

I like Willis, Morse and Mos Def normally but they play off each other great in this one. I was pleasantly surprised after hearing some negative press about it.

It doesn't take long for slacker detective Willis to find out that some bad dudes are after his prisoner. With only 16 blocks to go there are enough twists to keep you guessing whether he's going to make it. Is Mos Def the good hearted simpleton he tries to convince us he is? Truthfully, because it's set in the gridlocked streets of an urban US city, the action pace is sometimes not as quick as I might have liked. It reminded me a bit of Cellular (Chris Evans and Kim Basinger) played at half speed. I loved Cellular, so I only liked the slower 16 Blocks.

Worth a watch to see Willis kicking butt without the Die Hard persona.

Poor man's Indiana Jones turned out to be a great treat, 16 February 2007

I felt compelled to write a comment after the smattering of so so reviews this movie got when originally released.

Yes, Nic Cage is no Harrison Ford, and the locales are too familiar to be exotic, but that's what made this movie fun for me.

I really did believe that Cage was a treasure fan boy. And I was giggling to myself that I'd been to many of the movie locations.

The supporting cast of good guys was excellent. The love interest scholar is skeptical, but oh so curious. The disappointed dad (Jon Voigt is it?) just oozes contempt for the treasure hunt. The comical sidekick was hilarious.

Even the bad guys were great. They weren't evil megalomaniacs. They were just greedy guys who wanted to make some cash. They weren't over the top cruel. In fact, they too were hilarious in some scenes. Sean Bean plays a bad guy at his best. He's even a bit lovable in this film.

Perhaps the only actor under-utilized in this movie is Harvey Keitel. To be honest, there wasn't much role to be had. They shouldn't have cast him. A no name would have been sufficient.

You will be pleasantly surprised if you pick this one up as a rental. I don't often think I want to watch a movie twice, but this may deserve a second viewing.

No Escape (1994)
Respectable B movie better than some blockbusters, 16 August 2006

Simple plot involves Ray Liotta's soldier character being sentenced to a prison island for the assassination of his commanding officer. Once there, he battles the typical out of control crazies trying to find his own personal redemption. He is taken under the wing of a band of soul-searching convicts led by Lance Henrickson and his right-hand man Ernie Hudson.

The baddie is played decently by Stuart Wilson who I barely recognize from lackluster parts in other bigger flicks. While acting sinister enough, I thought that his highly polished teeth, and neatly trimmed beard produced a very tame look for what you'd expect to be a Mad-max type villain. Oh well, perhaps the well-coiffed Shakespearean types are more dangerous than we first assume.

There are some clichéd and B-movie lines in this film but the actors seem to treat it seriously. It helps that I like all the major actors in this flick.

Lots of good action on the part of Liotta, Hudson and dozens of extras. While set in the future, don't expect too many sci-fi CGI effects. Most of the action is aided by mechanical special effects done the old fashion way. In fact, I forgot by the end of the flick that the setting was in the future.

The not overly complicated plot works just fine in telling this mostly action story. But is does lead me to....

SORT OF SPOILER A major plot point is that Liotta's character is encouraged to leave the island to tell the world about this savage island operated illegally by a certain prison. I have two issues with this.

1) some cons appear too incredibly tame to warrant expulsion to the island. It's not made clear whether some, all, or who exactly gets chosen to be moved from the prison to the island

2) Assuming all the criminals are likely to be reassigned to other prisons once the truth about the island comes out, why would the good guys, who've actually constructed quite a nice island compound, want to give up their freedom in this manner?

Finally a classic worth watching, 28 July 2005

I should probably throw on a pair of asbestos overalls if I plan to insult the classics. It just needs to be said that the old movies are dull.

I tried liking the Manchurian Candidate, but it didn't get my heart racing. Citizen Kane almost put me to sleep. Even some of the newer "must-sees" like Marathon Man were less than appealing.

But finally, I can give an solid 8 out of 10 to a classic movie. While Lawrence's running time has put a dent in my free time, I can honestly say that the adventurous story was well worth watching. There were grand scenes and great fights. While melodramatic in some parts, most of the acting was good.

Lawrence of Arabia is the best classic I've watched so far. I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the epic adventure movies.

Club Dread (2004)
Thoroughly disappointing followup to Super Troopers, 11 March 2005

Super Troopers was hilarious. I expected something at least on par. What I got was a very un-funny and un-scary movie.

I give this movie 4/10 solely on the basis of the scenery, high production value, and attractive women. There's none of the wittiness or irony that we saw in Super Troopers. Club Dread's characters are all totally fake, where the cops in Super Troopers felt like they could be real.

I cannot believe that after reading their script, the Broken Lizard team couldn't tell they'd put together a major disappointment. I will pretend that this movie was never made. I just hope their next foray will be funnier.

Another in a long line of vampire movies, but watchable, 4 August 2004

An interesting take on Dracula--You might get a kick out of the end when you find out Dracula's true origin.

It struck me as two movies in one. There was a very passionate vampire story going on, covered up by a high-tech monster movie (think Bram Stoker's Dracula coated with a layer of Underworld or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

Considering the double tone of this film, I'm not surprised to see Christopher Plummer co-starring along some very fresh-faced young actors. Any fellow Canadians will notice a few Canucks besides Plummer in this one.

Because of the inconsistent flow of the movie, some silliness, and the disappointing death of one of the main characters, I gave this film a 6/10.

"Train 48" (2003)
Something different. Kind of neat., 10 July 2003

Nothing too memorable come award time, but something that's different enough to pique my interest.

How many times have you sat on the train at night on the way home wondering what other people were talking about.

I'm also a big fan of the Canadian shows that manage to find actors to play their parts so real. I understand part of it is improv even? No melodrama.