Zorro-3

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Above average, 4 September 2000

Above average Saturday morning fare. Part of ABC's "Funshine Saturday." Had a simian named Snubby, in addition to the usual cast. They organized a democracy on the island. Snubby got half a vote. Was similar stories to the old Gilligan, but dumber. Still better than most Saturday morning shows of the time.

Cindy (1978) (TV)
Where did this gem go?, 2 September 2000

This is the best production of Cinderella ever. I can't figure out why it has never been (as far as I can tell) rerun. It features an all-black cast, in a modern setting, with a Cinderella (Cindy) who wants to marry not a prince, but a military man.

In this version, Cinderella's father pretends to have a fancy job at a hotel, but is, in actuality, the men's room attendant.

Cinderella's mom follows him to work one day and angrily confronts him, "You ain't nothing but a lyin, cheatin MEN'S ROOM ATTENDANT!" leading into one of the best numbers I have ever seen in a musical. The men at the hotel rush to Dad's defense in a song, "The Best Damn Men's Room Attendant In the History of the Palace Hotel." At one point, a line of about twenty men file out of one bathroom stall playing brass instruments!

Where did this gem go????

The less you know, the better, 1 September 2000

This review does not contain any spoilers, but some of the others do. I strongly recommend this film to anyone who likes original, fast-paced, thought-provoking, but easily watchable art films.

However, the less you know the better. I would suggest that if you are even reading this, you probably must be the kind of person who would like "Run Lola Run" (as it is called in these here United States). So go rent it now.

(I will tell you there is an episode of the X-Files which shamelessly stole the plot of this film.)

But if you haven't seen the film yet, DON'T READ ON! The other reviews here tell too much!!!!! GO IN FRESH!!!!!

Hated It!, 30 August 2000

There was a big radio station promotion in the early eighties for this movie. They distributed 3-D glasses at fast food restaurants that were supposed to allow 3-D viewing on television.

However, the 3-D effect was not any good. It just looked fuzzy, not 3-D. Further, the movie was the PITS! Everyone I knew started to watch the movie (due to all the hype) and everyone I knew took off their 3-D glasses about twenty minutes into the movie, and everyone I knew gave up on the whole thing before the conclusion. There was a lot of bitching around the coffee machine the next day.

In this One Respect, It Went Too Far, 27 August 2000

WARNING! This may contain spoilers.

In one of Jason's Friday the Thirteenth movies, after slashing his usual myriad of teens, Jason takes a wrong turn into a living room full of small children in their footie pajamas. He looks around, nervous and confused, and makes a hasty exit. He couldn't have been allowed to kill small children in a slasher like that. (In higher art, it could be debatable.)

But "Sleepy Hollow" was no higher art. It was a slasher with pretensions. It stole the title and main characters' names from THE great American classic, forever besmirching such names, and no doubt causing Mr. Irving to spin.

And yet this cut-em-up did not have even the common courtesy, as Jason did, to turn away when presented with a small child.

Six Weeks (1982)
On the whole, it didn't work, 18 August 2000

Overall this movie ended up being lame. The little girl was very good. Dudley Moore was easy to watch, as usual. However, he seemed pinched in a dramatic role. Mary Tyler Moore reminded me again, why she is not a movie star.

And maybe it's just me, but Dudley Moore and Mary Tyler Moore just do not belong together (despite having the common surname).

There were many effective, bittersweet moments. But a good movie needs more than just that. And the plot was really unrealistic. So watch it if it is on TV and you are too tired to change the channel. Otherwise, rent Bedazzled or watch an old MTM rerun.

Heaven, 14 August 2000

Subject Matter: Cosmology, Quantum Physics and Stephen Hawking

Soundtrack: Phillip Glass

Have I died and gone to Heaven?

You will be enraptured.

Amazing!, 9 March 2000

I am going to go out on a limb here. Please don't cruficy me. I first saw "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf" as a play. It was by an all black cast. (I am a white man, by the way.)

I went with a good friend of mine, whose idea it was, (also a white man), and I was agape, the entire performance. I mean, it really was ASTOUNDING! The stage was set down low, surrounded on all sides by the audience. When they, on stage, set out a dish of candy, he and I both started to get up to get some (but stopped ourselves, fortunately.) The whole thing was so intense, so emotionally WRINGING!!!

As we walked to the train station to go back home, I said, "They ought to make a movie out of that!"

He nonchalantly said, "They have."

I said, "REALLY? Who was in it?"

He told me, and I said, "But... but... they're all white!"

He said, "Correct!"

I said, "Well...... did it still work?"

(See, I had thought of it in exclusively black terms. I thought of the poor black professor, who couldn't make it at the black university, who was beaten down, by his fat black wife, who was confronted by the new, young, up-and-coming black biology professor, etc, etc...")

He said, "Yes, it worked quite well."

I then realized the unconscious racism in all of us. At least all of us white people. I later saw the movie and I was absolutely FLOORED! My god what a film.

Whew!

It's About Temptation and Guilt, 22 February 1999

Many people didn't like this film, because it is too dry and cerebral for most horror fans, and too much a horror film for most people who like thoughtful movies. I found the combination amazingly riveting and original.

As Anne Rice said in the introduction to the film, "It is about US." Her vampires are symbolic of humans in general, but seen from a different vantage point. It is a story of temptation, guilt, shame and remorse. Louis is a vampire (that is, a sinner), he is repentant, he hates the fact that he is one, but nonetheless continues to be one. Like us, Louis wants to know what it is all about, how did this happen, is there a God, is there a devil? And he is always left with doubts.

It's about FORMALISM!, 22 February 1999

Not as light-hearted as Flying Circus or Holy Grail or Matching Tie and Handkerchief, more thoughtful like Life of Brian, while still managing to be screamingly funny, it was only nominally about the meaning of life.

If you look for the common thread, every sketch touched on formalism. That figures, since being English, it's an issue for them. Probably the best example is the schoolboys in the chapel saying the responsive reading, "Oooh, You are so big, so ENORMOUSLY huge! Gosh, we're all awfully impressed down here, I can tell You..." to the organ donor collection guys, "We've come for your liver!" (Hey, he signed the document, they get the liver, there was nothing in there about having to die first..oops!) to the unforgettable vomit scene in the French restaurant.

Meaning of life...merely a pretext.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]