calm

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Too much confusing action but still a good movie!, 16 July 2014

The only reason I gave Transformers an 8.5 is because of it's non-stop action and story telling. I didn't really care for the endless plots within plots but I realize it's getting harder and harder to make these sequels interesting and meaningful. How many times can we humans be rescued by these unwanted machines (Autobots) and how many villains are out there trying to get a piece of the autobot action? Cade Yeager (Mark Walhberg) a struggling inventor, and his 17-year old daughter Tessa Yeager (Nicola Peltz) along with Shane Dyson (Jack Reynor) who plays Tessa's not so secret boyfriend, battle the bad guys together.

Transformers: Age of Extinction begins millions of years ago, during the Cretaceous period which include dinosaurs. According to the story, Beings or Creators detonate many seeds causing the dinosaur's extinction on Earth. The story then picks up 4 years after the battle in Chicago, we're now focused on Cade Yeager and his business partner, Lucas Flannery (T. J. Miller). Down and out, Cade purchases an old truck he is planning to strip down and sell for parts. The truck turns out to be Optimus Prime who is in dire need of repair.

In the meanwhile, Harold Attinger (Kelsey Grammar), a CIA agent is assigned to hunt down the remaining Decepticons but is secretly hunting down Autobots as well. Harold gets help from a Transformer named Lockdown, who is a bounty hunter and along with Harold, kills Rachet. Cade tries to repair Optimus, after his identity is discovered and Optimus activates the remaining Autobots: Bumblebee, Hound, Drift and Crosshairs.

Joshua Joyce (Stanley Tucci is head of the KSI Corporation and has perfected Transformin, which is the metal the Transformers are made of. Joshua has also imprisoned Brains, the Autobot's Drone sidekick to decode dead Transformers' brains, Megatron being one of them, for use in human made Transformer brains. As a result, KSI's ultimate Transformer, Galvaton is created. To complicate matters a little more, James Sovoy (Titus Welliver) is a field leader of Cemetery Wind, an elite CIA unit tracking Decepticons and Transformers along with Harold. James makes up the third bad guy and greedy human to round out this band of bandits. There are so many players, one can get pretty confused. You have the original Transformers (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Leadfoot, and Brains), The bounty hunter (Lockdown), the man made Transformer (Galvaton) and a new species called Dinobots. You also have the bad guys versus the good guys and all that's in between.

As usual, the original Transformers prevail and gives a speech about morals, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Transformers: Age of Extinction is 2 hours and 47 minutes long but keeps moving so that you don't really notice the time. It started in Chicago and ended up in China. The destruction was enough to declare the world a dismal, hopeless, disaster. In case you didn't get it, this movie was all about getting the Seed, the only one left that could annihilate the Earth. Overall, lots and lots of action — worthy of the big screen. In order to put closure to this story so that it makes perfect since, take a leap of faith and buy a ticket, you probably will like it.

Innocents (2000)
Who's really crazy here? (Possible spoiler), 23 February 2011

I tried not to get interested in this movie but the dialog and music sucked me in. As the film progressed, I realized that the sisters were not the only ones disturbed. While the movie was well acted and the plot reasonable, the story became unbelievable. No normal person would stay in a situation like that, for any reason.

I suspect love, shock and intrigue kept Jean-Hugues Anglade involved. In reality, he would have never made it -- the cops would have never reacted the way they did and the story would not have ended the way it did. I'm trying to say this was a movie worth seeing without giving away anything. My value of 7 is because I think it's okay for a comedy to be unbelievable but not a drama.

Where was the love?, 6 April 2010

I just returned from seeing Clash of the Titans. I really expected a great movie. So much effort was put into 3D and special effects but not enough into the direction of the characters. Everyone was so emotionally detached from each other. The only emotional connection was between Liam Neeson and Perseus near the end and the semi-quasi relationship between Gemma Arterton and Sam Worthington.

Additionally, the movie just didn't flow, scenes literally jumped from one to another. The marching soldiers seemed too mechanical. The Kraken was upstaged by the first beast they fought in the dessert (there was little difference). Perseus didn't seem to be a very good fighter, Poseidon was completely absent from the story and Pegasus was black (historically, incorrect).

I'm sought of sick of the whole 3D thing. It didn't do much for this movie and it's not exciting any more. It's never been as well done as Avatar. I've seen Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, How to train a Dragon and Clash of the Titans in Real D 3D. With the exception of Avatar, it's not worth the extra money. We shelled out $22 bucks for 2 seniors at the matinée showing for Titans and I really felt it was not worth it. I didn't hate the movie, I just felt emotionally disconnection from it. I and my husband kept looking at our watches -- we live at the movies but couldn't wait for Titans to end. I usually feel like I've been on an adventure after seeing a movie the likes of Titans but not this time. I gave it a 7 out of 10.

It had potential, 24 July 2007

I am so surprised to see Hugh Grant in this awful, not so funny, movie. In my opinion this is the worst I've seen Grant in. What was he thinking. This movie was all over the place. I don't think it's realistic to have a president that out of touch. I know Bush comes pretty close but no cigar. The whole country was fixed on "American Dreamz" and nothing else. I know this was suppose to be funny -- **POSSIBLE SPOILER**however, the ending made it just plain stupid and depressing. Had a certain person lived, I would have like this better. As it stands, I am sorry I wasted my time watching it.

I guess this is suppose to be a spoof on Bush and American Idol. It's not too effective because this president was too detached and the Chief of Staff was too kiss a@# for very little return. This scenario could normally be funny but I guess it hits too close to home and, I hope, too unrealistic. The characters didn't come off the way they should and Hugh Grant came off more qualified to be the president than the president. The movie just didn't work for me. Wait for HBO and see if for free.

Superman is Super Spectacular, 29 June 2006

The man of steel is more powerful than ever before. Superman has a new and improved look from his costume to his not as chiseled chin. I was impressed with Brandon Routh who portrayed Clark Kent as the nerdy reporter and Superman as the bigger than life super hero with a big heart. This Superman has a softer, more "feely" demeanor than the old Superman but still as effective.

Kate Bosworth turns out to be the most attractive Lois Lane to date. However, I didn't get the usual aggressive, nervous behavior I've seen in past Lois Lanes. Kate plays a softer, kinder character, ***who now has a son.*** While Jimmy Olsen, played by Sam Huntington from "Not Another Teen Movie" still gets on ones nerves, he's slightly toned down from the Jimmy Olsen of the 50's.

Frank Langella surprised me as the Chief and Editor of the Daily Planet -- we're not use to seeing him as a good guy. It took me a minute to digest him on the good side of evil. Before it was all said and done, I knew they made the right choice in casting Langella. He played the perfect Perry White.

There are a few surprises you may or may not catch such as the bartender, played by Jack Larson the original Jimmy Olsen from the 1957 Superman TV series or the opening death of Lex Luther's much, much older multi-millionaire wife, played by Noel Neill the original Lois Lane from the same 1957 Superman series.

The flying is different and much quieter, not the loud sound of wind when Superman takes off. It seems more like gliding. Director, Bryan Singer outdid himself with special effects. There are so many scenes that seem so real I can't begin to mention them all.

Kevin Spacey plays a darker, calmer, Lex Luther than Gene Hackman. While Kevin is as crazy and deadly, I was more afraid of Gene's portrayal of this character.

Overall, "Superman Returns" is great. The audience started clapping during 3 different scenes. There are a few issues, like Clark and Superman reappearing at the same time, that might make one go "um". Violence, blood and gore are kept to a minimum. That's an excellent sign of a good movie for all.

I Loved this Movie, 1 March 2006

It's crazy, funny, a little ghetto in parts, but it has a great message and it's thoroughly entertaining. I laughed, cried, shouted, cheered, commented out loud and even clapped. Madea is an outrageous character brilliantly played by Tyler Perry as is Madea's brother, Joe and the handsome lawyer. It feels so good to be entertained at a movie. Family Reunion gives you a chance to unwind and relax plus have a good, hardy laugh. Anyone who takes it for more is in for a surprise because there is more -- a great message of forgiveness and love. It's worth seeing. I'm not sure how IMDb, who I give a lot of respect for such an informative website, calculates the voting averages but I challenge the accuracy of 2.5. To know the Madea character is to love it and I do love it. This movie is funny!

Too Nice!, 7 June 2005

This was a very nice, scaled down version of how it really was in the Deep South. The movie did not even begin to depict the real horror Blacks faced each day. There was just a hint of the KKK, Jim Crow and the plantation mentality Blacks had to endure. I kept waiting for those historical, explosive events, we all knew to be the law of the land, to explode onto the screen, but it never happened.

Life was unbearable; Blacks were looked upon as animals and treated as such. I walked away from this movie feeling like life was almost a bowl of cherries.

I find it so odd that people are tired of hearing about the Black experience but never get tired of all the holocaust movies. 6 million Jews were slaughtered over a 6 year period (approx) -- hundreds of thousand Blacks were hung, beaten, raped, shot, humiliated and abused to death over a period of 150+ years, not to mention the suicides that took place on the slave ships in route to America. Admittedly, the holocaust was an atrocity, hopefully never to be repeated, while discrimination of Blacks is still a reality. Too bad there are no great movies that tell the Black Plight the way it should be told.

Birth (2004)
Another deceitful movie!, 29 October 2004

Why oh why did anyone make this movie? It was slow, dull and down right deceitful. The trailers would have you believe you're in for a mysterious ride but in fact, you're in for another unresolved, waste of time, money sucking, open-end flick. Birth's concept was done before in a 1989 release of "Chances Are", which was in good taste, with a good story and a good follow-up. The ending tied up all the loose ends, unlike "Birth" which left us hanging.

I truly want my money back -- everyone in the theater agreed that "Birth" sucked. Not even Nicole Kidman could save this one.

Wait for cable!

And the point is?, 27 August 2004

I found this movie to be quite annoying. I can't believe the 7.6 rating this movie received from voters. There was no point to it. 90 minutes + of annoying dialog, going nowhere. The few laughs, actually I can only think of a couple, were not worth an entire movie of mediocre characters trying to put on a 150 year anniversary show about the history of a little town called Blaine, Missouri. Somewhere in this movie, I heard folks of Blaine refer to a UFO abduction several years ago. The incident went unnoticed by the outside world, thereby making it an unproven tale. The UFO story was the most interesting thing about Blaine -- the director and all the characters were extremely eccentric, which was the premise for the movie.

I just don't see 7.6 or even 5.6 -- after the movie, I kept wondering, what was the point? I was neither entertained nor mentally stimulated.

Catwoman (2004)
Catwoman is a comic book story, 23 July 2004

I can't believe 206 people voted Catwoman a 1. What are they looking for in a fantasy? A smart, talented woman, who is taken for granted by the company she works for, dies and comes back as a cat. Now she can add sexy and confident to her former persona. She's also skilled in marshal arts and capable of taking care of herself as well as do battle with the evil forces of this world. This is the comic book formula that has been successful since they first thought up this character.

I came away believing that this female, super heroine will develop her newly found role to be more mature and conservative in the future. I was well entertained and absolutely loved the movie. I gave it a 10 for costume, authenticity, casting and plot. Halle Berry is synonymous with sexy -- Catwoman has always been sexy -- go read the comic book!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]