Reviews

553 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Central Park (1932)
This, this, this, this and this.
8 June 2015
Crazy and fun 1930s picture, the way that all 1930s pics seem to be, with sometimes little control or care for the plot. Joan Blundell and Wallace Ford star as the most two attractive bums you could ever meet. Blondell gets a job being a pretty girl for a ball, but little does she know that she's ACTUALLY going to be a switcheroo in a planned robbery of the benefit money! Oh, there's also a lion that escapes and wanders around terrorizing everybody, a nearly blind policeman who fails to catch the insane past-zookeeper who lets the lion free, and Wallace Ford.. is just there responding to everything. It's all pretty crazy.. and pretty darn entertaining!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
whoops ran out of time lol
18 July 2013
The Bourne Legacy is pretty much the Halloween III of the Bourne Franchise. Having very little to do with the first 3 Matt Damon / Bourne films, the film attempts to have a similar film along the same timeline as when Jason Bourne was having his adventures, using some of the same actors in the previous movies (but most of them appear to be either cameos or outtakes from previous Bourne movies). Jeremy Renner, who gets my vote as being one of the most unappetizing heroes ever, plays Aaron Cross, a genetically modified killer (!!) who needs pills to keep alive. When the government tries to shut down the program (thanks to yes, a storyline in the original plot line) and tries to kill Renner and a chemist involved in the making of the drug, things of course don't go according to plan, leading to chase after chase. Edward Norton, who seems to be the king of bastard sequels, is here, playing the head of the department trying to eradicate the killers and scientists, he's good in a somewhat throwaway role for him, but really, what can you do? The ending is definitely curious, as it leaves gigantic holes that SHOULD have been filled, not left open for another movie (which there will be, but things are uncertain who will be in that movie). I mean it's all fine and dandy to leave people wanting more, but the way this film ended was sort of like, "whoops, ran out of time lol" leaving gigantic questions answered. Maybe the next movie will answer them? Maybe Jason Bourne will join them? Maybe we'll just forget about this?
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Place In The Sun
2 May 2013
Awesome movie with drifter Monty Clift getting a job because of his name, hooking up with one of the girls he works with, then falling in love with ANOTHER girl, this time with a high society gal. Which one will he choose? He feels he's got it all figured out when the low class girl reveals she's pregnant and he's THEN faced with some pretty hard choices. There, THAT'S a good synopsis of this. This film has LOTS of surprises up it's sleeve. The 2 stars, Clift and Elizabeth Taylor just look ridiculously gorgeous in the movie, and George Stevens directs the tar out of this, putting in GREAT examples of foreshadowing and symbolism and what not. Awesome filmmaking here.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Show People (1928)
Awesome
2 May 2013
It;s odd that a movie made in 1928, about movie making, a comedy, and with tons of cameos of stars and directors of the day could have slipped by my radar for so long and not know ANYTHING about it. Yet, this silent little nugget did just that, and what a total pleasure it was to see it. Marion Davies plays a young starlet wanting to get into the movies, and William Haines plays the low-rent-comedy actor she falls in love with. But when fame beacons, she follows it, and soon becomes to big for her britches. It's a truly wonderful and engaging story. I also really really loved the lovely cameos that the stars of the day put in, Chaplin! Fairbanks! Heck, even Marion Davies makes a cameo in her own movie (which is totally hilarious). Simply a must see if you love the movies. I'm still amazed I'd never heard of it until now.
Bogey Drives!
2 May 2013
Good movie, except it's overridden with plot, about two brothers in the trucking industry and the perils they encounter. One of them (played by George Raft) gets a job at a trucking firm, only to find the wife of the boss still playing footsy with him (they had a thing in the past). He's got a dame now! The trucker's boss wife kills the boss and makes the trucker the new boss! Oh, there's still a lot lot more to be told, but as I said, this seems to be a movie with plenty of ideas, and only 90 minutes to tell it in. The MAIN plot (which, yes, is taken from the Bette Davis movie Bordertown) doesn't kick in til the final half hour of the movie. Still entertaining to watch though.
Brass Target (1978)
Any movie that casts Robert Vaughn as a scheming gay general gets my vote.
2 May 2013
Fun little 70's "what if?" movies that ties in two unrelated things and tries to connect them, and then tries to invent conspiracy theories. It's like Inglorious Basterds 1970s style. There's a plot out to kill Patton (played rather George-Kennedishly by George Kennedy) and it's up to John Cassevetes and Sophia Loren to stop it! Oh yes, there's a gold theft in there somewhere as well, as well as the story of the assassin too. Somewhat hard to follow, but enjoyable nevertheless. Max Von Sydow is so smarmy and greasy here, he steals the show. OH RIGHT, there's also the amazing Robert Vaughn, playing WAY over type, playing a general with a secret gay boyfriend. So good!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Peyton Place For Teens
2 May 2013
Sort of a disjointed Robert Altmanesque (well, not really) episodic little tale about teenagers growing up in a small town and facing small town problems. You know, swimming, education, stupid kids, dead dogs, the gamut. The whole movie focuses on one kid, who recently left school to take a great opportunity at a local market, but then has second thoughts when a lot of people want him to go back so he could finish his high school and continue on to be a veterinarian. Along the way there are MANY subplots, such as will a little kid survive after being thrown into the water, will the greasy lawyer who moved into town break up a budding relationship between two old people, and so on. Not going to change the world, but still somewhat enjoyable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Electric Boogaloo
2 May 2013
I love love LOVE Lars Von Trier films. This is a bit of a sleeper in his canon though, as there are films I like better (Antichrist, Dancer In The Dark, and the AMAZING Zentropa) but even then, this film is brilliant. All about a bit of a messed up in the head woman who marries a oil rigger. When he is critically injured, one of his requests is to have her take men on, and tell him about it to make him better. When he gets worse, she feels she's not doing enough.

Even though this film is stark and ugly at times, there is some amazing points of beauty. I really did love the chapter intertitles, with it's scenery and music, so amazing. Emily Watson, my god, just blows me away, and that ending, for some dumb reason (I've seen this about 4 times now) made me weep in how beautiful it was.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yay! Snakes! Weee!
25 April 2013
YEARS ago on the internet archive, there were quite a number of videos (not film) set in the Appalachian mountains about religion, music and just general townspeople, but mostly it was about religion, and I found that INCREDIBLY fascinating, full of speaking in tongues, faith healing, baptisms, and other fun stuff (and a few boring things). They've disappeared (maybe because I gave some damning reviews to some of them), but they've always stuck out in my mind as some of the most unique vids ever on the archive. The Holy Ghost People is similar to these, maybe a wee bit more talky, grainy and non-structured then I would like, but there's still some stuff that got my attention. The interviews are interesting, and the actual speaking in tongues-hallelujah thing is really strangely bizarre. Would have liked to have known what happened to the preacher in the end.
Chronicle (2012)
Chronicle
24 January 2013
The best movie I've seen this year! OMG. lol. Imagine if you inherited super powers, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? When 3 High School students go down a hole and find something buried beneath the earth, that thing bequeaths them superpowers! First they learn to levitate stuff, then they learn to levitate themselves, then, they find out more. But, as Yoda has said, with great power comes great responsibility. How much can they get away with? This is all explored and played with quite brilliantly. The special effects on this one are quite awesome, with an ending that's both fun AND awesome. You can compare this easily with Cloverfield (one of my fave movies from a number of years ago).
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this