Legion

The Star of the Movie Isn't Tommy Riley, 4 August 2005

The title of the film may be "Fighting Tommy Riley", but the star is actually Tommy's coach Marty, played by the phenomenal Eddie Jones. Yes, this is a boxing movie, but it's also a movie about a personal struggle to remain professional and go beyond one's desires to do the right thing.

At the start of the film, we're introduced to the two main characters as each of them are struggling to find their place in the world. It's when the two are brought together that they find themselves improving their situations. Tommy becomes a boxer again, and begins winning. Marty finds someone to focus on, something to get himself out of bed for.

Now here's the spoiler. Marty's got a past with another boxer who he made a pass at. That boxer outed Marty, and Marty's reputation in the boxing world was shot. That's why he went off to become a teacher. Throughout this film, Marty's struggling against his desires for Tommy which culminates in an incident that reveals Marty's tortured side to Tommy, who tries to put it behind him, but is never able to until the end of the film.

Other reviewers are glossing over this key plot point of the film and saying that it never achieves anything similar to a "Rocky" or "Cinderella Man". Those reviewers are missing the point. The film isn't about Tommy Riley becoming a fighter. It's about fighting the desire for Tommy Riley, even if it means you have to force him to hate you so that he can truly achieve that which he deserves.

This is strong material, and Eddie Jones steps up to the plate and delivers without going over the top. JP Davis proved himself capable as both a writer and an actor. And the supporting actresses, Christina Chambers and Diane M. Taylor, made the most of the limited scenes and dialogue they were given.

Poor video and audio qualities, but graphic mind control fantasy, 14 May 2005

The filming was mostly done with hand-held video cameras which leads to an expectedly low quality of cinematography, but if you are into mind control fantasies this is the film for you. The basic plot is that a pizza delivery boy/janitor is picked on by some kids at school customers, and somehow is able to mind control them. From there it breaks down into some pretty intense mind control that gets into some graphic simulated gay sex with frontal nudity.

The audio quality of the film varies throughout with the music sometimes overpowering the dialogue, and at other times the dialogue being basically inaudible without turning up the volume.

If you aren't into gay mind control fantasies, you won't enjoy this movie or find it interesting at all. The closest other films to this would be The Brotherhood series directed by David DeCoteau.

Touched (2003/II)
A Short That Hit Close To Home, 1 January 2005

I didn't know anything about this short when I first watched it and didn't pay much attention to the fact that it was based on a real story. By the time the short was over, I found it to have connected with an event from my own life when I offered help to someone in need. Well-acted, the only fault I could find with the film was the contrived dialog ending. Unknown actor David Duzenski was brilliant in his performance as a young man on the verge. Bob Bowersox was believable as well, though the role would've been more interestingly played if a more physically strong man had been cast instead of the milk-toast portrayal we have. That in no way is to belittle the caliber of acting and the effect this film has on the viewer. This is must see. I rated it a 10 out of 10.

10 pesos (2003)
Where's George Now?, 31 December 2004

Following the concept of seeing where a 10 peso note passes, this short takes a wild journey showing bits and pieces of the lives of various characters who come in contact with the bill in question. This short is well filmed and edited, giving enough time with each character and not making one feel rushed through the film especially with its short duration. You are given just enough of a taste for each character before you're off to another, often leaving you wanting to know more about the characters that are being dropped at the wayside. From the gay for pay hustler, to the cop, to the school child, to the maid, each character is given a full story and reality that lasts only as long as they have the 10 pesos. Worth watching.

Could've Been A Silent Film, 31 December 2004

With practically no narrative, this film was a work of passion for the author, but pretty dull and uninteresting to me. There was some good shots as far as cinematography, and I have to admit it was hard for me to determine when it was filmed, recently or as many as thirty years ago based on some of the attire during the short. Throughout the snippets that are spliced together, there's never a full shave or a full cut. I guess the meaning and intention was lost on me. The film had a grainy quality to it that added to the sense of surrealism. It was included on the Men's Mix 1: Gay Short Collection. This doesn't make any sense to me, though maybe there's some subculture thing that I just don't connect with. I rate it a 5 and that's being generous.

Gaydar (2002)
Very Funny Gay Comedy With A Moral Ending, 31 December 2004

With great cameos of out actors JM J. Bullock and Charles Nelson Reilly, this comedy has great pacing and hits all the right punchlines at the right time. The basic plot is a gay man finds a device that will reveal if someone is gay or straight. He uses it on several people and then gets the idea to pursue his secret crush to find out if he's gay or straight. The only problem I have with the film is that the gaydar gun has a 50% reading, but nowhere during the film did anyone register as anything other than 100% straight or 100% gay. There could've been one bisexual cameo in the film. The big surprise in the film was the casting of Bryan Dattilo of "Days of Our Lives", who played the sex object of the film.

Burl's (2003)
Coming of Age Comedy Short, 31 December 2004

It wasn't until I read it in the credits that I realized the narrator was Mark Hamill. This short was well acted not only by John De Lancie as a father who was trying to keep his son from being gay, but by the young man playing the son in question. The film begins with a boy's self-actualization that he's not like other boys, and follows his parents' attempts to prevent the inevitable from becoming true. The young man goes through many experiences during the short, including seeing drag queens for the first time, playing dress up with mom's wigs, checking out the hunky boy at the pet store, and getting propositioned by an older man. It was a cute comedy that should ring true to most gay men who weren't trying to keep the truth from themselves while growing up.

A Fun Spoof of School Health Films, 31 December 2004

From the long description before the short starts, you can tell that a lot of thought and effort went into this film to make it as realistic as possible. At first viewing, I truly bought into the possibility that this was an actual school film until the second title came up. The film does a fine job of spoofing the genre of film, and does a good job of cutting from scene to scene without revealing too much. There is one brief glimpse of an erection, but otherwise it's only in the scientific drawings that you see the full deal. I did learn from this film a new phrase for me, "jackin' the beanstalk", so for me the short was worth watching.

Funny Spoof on School Science Flicks, 31 December 2004

A Short That Leaves You Wanting More, 30 December 2004

As the story unfolds, you get to see pieces of the lives of two different men whose lives eventually intersect. With the older Asian man, you get the sense that he's lost the partner of his life's journey. The younger man has lost more, yet doesn't know his destination. Will the two of them help each other find their way? The actors do well expressing themselves without words, instead using their eyes and body language to reveal their true feelings. There's limited dialogue, but its enough to convey what each of them are fleeing.

Good cinematography and editing. The plot seems a little implausible, but if you can get beyond that, you are left wondering what happened before and what will happen after.