IMDb > Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders

The Bright Knight

Author: charliesonnyray from United States
10 October 2016

In a climate where it feels like Batman is always trying to be grim, dark, brooding and epic; it feels like a breath of fresh air when someone says "Hey remember the 60's Batman? Wasn't that fun! Let's do something like that!" I watched that old 60's movie all the time when I was a kid and I still get a kick out of it. While I haven't watched a lot of the old series, from what I have gathered this movie mimics it perfectly. The crazy gadgets, the silly alliterations, the kooky villains, and even the fact that they add the word "bat" to everything Batman creates. However, it does have a few dull spots for me and it feels like some of the ahem "action" sequences go on a bit too long. However, I think we need to measure a film by what it's trying to do and how well it executes it despite how it makes you feel. And since this movie is obviously trying to homage the old show as well as be it's own thing, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders does a great job! It has an interesting story, fun characters and some great dialogue. If you wanna see a new spin on the classic Adam West Batman, then look no further!

A glorious return of the 1960's Batman and company...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
15 October 2016

This 2016 animated movie was actually a wonderful surprise, and it was indeed a much needed addition to the collection of animated Batman movies. Why? Well, because "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" really captured the essence and the spirit of the glorious Batman series from the mid-1960s.

The animation was really good, and the art style was great. They really managed to make it all look like the Batman TV series from the mid-1960s. It was uncanny how much that the drawn Batman/Bruce Wayne actually resembled Adam West. I thoroughly enjoyed the particular drawing style that they went with in "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders", because it really was a unique style in a retro-kind of way.

But even more impressively was the cast to the animated movie. It was a pure joy to have familiar voices and talents to return to the screen here. And there really is a lot of great stuff for fans of the TV series from 1966.

The story in "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" was just like an extended episode from the iconic TV series, complete with the hilarious dialogue and the exploding stars with various fight words when they were brawling on the screen, just like in the TV series.

As for the voice cast, well as I just said, then it was a pure treat to have so many talents return to the Batman universe and come together in this 2016 animated movie. And people were doing good jobs with their given roles in terms of voice acting. However, if you are not familiar with the 1966 TV series, then chances are very high that you will find the dialogue to be kind of weird, if not downright odd and bizarre.

"Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" is definitely aimed for the audience whom grew up watching the TV series on the television, such as myself. And it was delivered in a most pleasing manner. And it always cracks me up to see that every item in the bat-cave and in the arsenal of Batman and Robin has to be labeled with Bat-something.

If you are a fan of the Adam West era of Batman, then you should definitely not let "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" slip by. This is, without a doubt, definitely worth sitting down and watching.

Holy Homesickness, Batman

Author: ed-421 from United States
11 October 2016

What a dose of Nostalgia. I heard that the opening credits incorporated many classic comic book covers with some fantastic animation, so I took a look this morning before heading to more important tasks -- but I could not stop watching. Fascinating, funny, festive, friendly, and very alliterative, the actors, writers, and animators knocked this out of the park.

I think I spotted at least 50 sly references, and I'm sure I missed many others. Labels, labels, labels galore. I was thoroughly amused throughout. One thing I've noticed is that nearly everyone is staying spoiler-free, but the twists are like punchlines to good jokes. None of the dozens of punchlines are particularly surprising, but they are all fun, and many of them require the set-up, animation, and acting to be meaningful. For example -- "Begora" is one of these punchlines. Explaining why it's funny wouldn't be funny, so why ruin the joke?

The movie does get a bit dark. In one particular scene, Robin is horrified by a punch that doesn't follow Marquess of Queensberry rules. Robin's reaction to that punch and subsequent actions keep the movie grounded and friendly. I have to give special acclaim for Burt Ward, here -- his exuberance and delivery hasn't changed an iota.

Does the movie get some things wrong? Like the Joker's hidden mustache? Yes and perhaps. There are dozens of things that are not quite like the 60's show, and hundreds of things that are spot-on perfect. I don't recall hearing the Riddler's music cue, but the Batman theme is incorporated well in many places. The producers have already mention that some of the "mistakes" are intentional, such as the colors of Robin's logo being flipped in a throwaway shot, an homage to mistakes in previous animations. I will be watching this many times.

The sequel has already been announced, with William Shatner as Two- Face.

This is the most enjoyable movie I've seen in years. Highly recommended.

Batman as a proper hero, as it should be

Author: Fudge-3 from Brighton, England
29 October 2016

A 90 minute animated super-hero action/comedy film.

Gotham City is filled with diabolical villains whose master plans include locking up a stage band in a closet and gate crashing everyone's favourite TV program. They play musical instruments really badly and reveal their dastardly plot via confounded puzzles that only a genius of dubious reasoning could solve. Thank goodness for Batman is here.

Everything that made the 1960s Batman and Robin so charming and funny is here with spades on. Sorry… that should be, 'with bat-spades on.' Those inducted into Batman lore will note lots of references to other movies. For the rest just enjoy the fun.

The animation is very well done. The 2D and 3D elements are well crafted together. I particularly appreciated the camera panning homage around the bat mobile.

Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar returned to voice their roles from the classic Batman TV shows of the 1960s. There were other Batman adaptations for the movies before him (Lewis Wilson anyone?) but Adam West is the one we all remember.

Julie Newmar got her deserved place back in this movie. She played Catwoman in the original TV series but was replaced by Lee Meriwether in the 1966 Batman movie. Lee might have been prettier but that's not all you look for in Catwoman. When it comes to filling out a cat suit to the correct proportions there was none finer than Julie.

Batman, Return of the Caped Crusader was expected to go straight-to-DVD but it did get a short cinema release. One showing in the Vue was all there was in Blackpool. Our group was the first to arrive and my imagination of a horde of boisterous youths throwing popcorn at the screen did not occur. We all sat in a polite little block in the centre seats and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The pre and post film extras were fun; I hope and expect they'll find their way onto the DVD too.

I was surprised when I saw the film was PG rather than U. There is nothing in the movie that very young children will find distressing though they will not appreciate all the humour. The range of flash cards; {kpow}, {splat} here included such words as, {fracture} but that hardly counts as an increase in the level of violence.

The types of humour used in this movie include; droll, parody, farce, screwball and slapstick. All delivered with a very straight face. If you enjoy those then sign up.

Who won't enjoy this movie? Batman purists may lift their nose and turn away. The 1960s TV shows were parodies of the comics and don't take the material seriously in any way. This film does the same. If you are a critical comic fan and believe Batman should have a dignified portrayal then you will not like this.

"To the bat-(append your contraption here)."

Holy Animated Feature!

Author: Kristian from Australia
27 October 2016

Minor/Vague Spoilers

Boy, oh boy did I have a smile on my face the entire time while watching this film. Only clocking in at around 75 minutes which seems to be the norm for DC animated movies was a nostalgia-fest treat. Based on the 60's Batman series starring Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin, they return to voice the characters that made them famous. They, along with Julie Newmar, who returns to voice Catwoman, are back with one of the best DC animated films in a while.

The four main villains, Catwoman, Penguin, The Riddler, and The Joker have all returned and it feels like it could be a direct sequel to the 1966 film that also had these four villains as the main antagonists to Batman and Robin.

The scope is much, much larger here in this animated film that could never be done in the live action series. One could say it is out of this world……

The animation is spot on. Every character very closely resembles their live action counterpart. The one tiny nitpick would be no moustache for Cesar Romero's Joker. Everything in the Batcave also seems to be flipped so it looks to be more of a mirrored version of what we saw in the TV series. They recreate the "BOOM" "KAPOW" pop up effects when someone gets punched as well as the original theme music. The animation style was interesting to me because it looked very different to other DC animated films. Everything other than the characters and vehicles seemed to be drawn extra large. I have no idea what the reasoning for this was but it was a great choice.

The storyline was very faithful to the series, the first 20-30 minutes play out almost exactly like an episode of Batman would. It's the following 15-25 minutes that are really wacky and even when the live action series involves a lot of "suspend your disbelief", this takes it to a whole new level. I won't spoil it for you because it wasn't even hinted at in any trailers I saw so I would want it to be a surprise for anyone watching for the first time. It pokes a lot of fun at itself and the campy-ness of the series… lots of throwbacks to the original. It was right before the final act that I felt the very quick pacing of the film come to a complete halt. Very happy to say that it rose back up again for the final act and came to a great conclusion.

The voice acting was done to perfection. The three returnees are of course great and it was very surprising to get such great, accurate performances from Jeff Bergman (The Joker), William Salyers (The Penguin), and The Riddler (Wally Wingert). While it did feel like they were doing an impression of the original actors it was all they needed to do. If they tried to make it their own it would've destroyed the movie (Wally Wingert has actually voiced The Riddler in the Batman Arkham videogames so it was great to see him do the same character that was separate from that universe so well). There are also a tonne of small cameos that are great to see from a huge fan of the 60's TV series.

A sequel has already been announced with William Shatner cast to voice Two-Face. I am immensely happy that there is going to be a sequel (I could see there being many sequels down the line) but have no idea how they are going to do Two-Face considering he was never in the original series.

The campy return of Adam West mixed with our more adult look at Batman

Author: secretzfan
20 November 2016

Batman has changed a lot since the days of Adam West came and put on the suit. It is to the point where it seems like no one even remembers that Adam West was the original Batman. However DC animation has helped bring back the old Adam West styled Batman in a major way. While also realizing those original fans have probably grew up now so is more willing to lace the film with more sexual humor and also press buttons with the whole Batman taking around a boy with tights and how strange that really is.

This movie also takes a clean shot at the new darker Batman who is more willing to be on the edge and do whatever it takes to make the villains pay for there crimes. It is quite a interesting look on what Batman was in the 60s to what Batman is today.

Catwoman also is updated to be a little more similar to the type of character she has become today. Selina Kyle has started to run that line between hero and villain and this movie easily lets us know that is trying to do that. From her working with the boy wonder to help Batman or taking on the villains she had once partnered with. The film does a great job showing us the new Catwoman.

Overall Batman Return of the Caped Crusaders is a great return to that 60s Batman world and knows how to have fun with its inclusive stories and campy aspects as well. The movie is quite a whole lot of fun to enjoy for those fans

A Highly Recommended Fun And Campy Treat For Batman Fans

Author: rprice01 from United States
10 October 2016

I went to a special theater viewing of this movie and found it to be a real treat. I enjoyed it from the very beginning, It did not disappoint. The special effects were quite nice and the music with its jazzy horn sounds and sixties beats had me moving in my seat through some parts of it as well. Adam West as Batman and Julie Newmar as Catwoman were enjoyable to watch. The producers featuring their original voices in the film gave it a special uniqueness that could not be replaced.

I often laughed out loud at certain scenes and also enjoyed the storyline. It had me often wondering what would happen next. I also liked the villains. Classic Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman each had their own unique flair that seemed to captivate each scene. Riddler was great with his genius schemes and his trickery. The classic Joker was hilarious with his flamboyant laugh and his menacing actions. Penguin was crafty in his own way with his powerful gadgets, style and swagger. Catwoman was also quite captivating with her tempting seductress demeanor and deadly charms.

I also enjoyed Batman, Robin, and Alfred's characters in this film. The director has a great style of mixing humor with edginess that make the heroes and villains interesting and fun to watch. I laughed out loud at much of Batman and Robin's hilarious dialogue and chemistry. Robin really had me laughing out loud with his hysterical phrases such as "Holy Hydrogen", "Holy Shrapnel" and "Holy Hussy". I did not get bored with the heroes at all in this film and was quite excited to see this version of the characters. The fight scenes even had me laughing out loud; especially when they used the classic sixties phrases such as "Boom!", "Pow!" "Zone!"etc. while the heroes fought the villains. These scenes were funny and did not bore me even for a moment.

This movie was quite amazing and an refreshing escape from the dark undertones of the recent Batman projects. It shows that Batman is a character that can be expressed in a wide array of styles and still be entertaining. I definitely recommend DC Comic fans and Batman fans to try this film out. I am so moved by it that I plan to purchase a DVD copy of this movie and probably even the original 60's Batman show too. I also will try to read some of the Batman 66 comics to get more of this type of entertainment. I hope that the directors may even consider doing a sequel of this real soon. I definitely look forward to seeing more.

West and Ward return

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
20 November 2016

If you are a fan of the 1960's Batman, which starred Adam West and Burt Ward, you're gonna be in for a treat here, this is like a reunion movie to that series. Julie Newmar reprises her role has Catwoman , but the other actors who played Joker, Penguin, and Riddler, have all passed away, so different actor are providing there voices, and I gotta say the actor who voices The Joker sounds amazingly like the original Joker Ceser Romero, to the point where I thought it was Romero.

The animation here is not bad, not terrific but not terrible either. Adam West and Burt Ward provide there voices in the characters that made them famous, feeling like they never really left. It never really takes itself seriously, just like the 60's show never really did. But in parts it also parodies the more serious Batman movies in spots. There is one part it spoofs the three different Catwomen from the original show. If you are tired of the overly serious Batman films, then check this animated flick out.

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
9 November 2016

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders

The reason Batman is so angry nowadays is because it's illegal for him to hang out with underage boys.

But as this animated-adventure depicts, back in the 1960s, men and boys were free to frolic.

The caped crusader (Adam West) confounds his premature partner (Burt Ward) when he adopts a more ridged approach to crime fighting. But the Boy Wonder doesn't have time to dissect this new Batman as their vilest villains – The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler and Catwoman (Julie Newmar) – have teamed up to take the Dynamic Duo down for good.

The cartoon continuation of the campy 1960s TV show, this DC Entertainment feature finds some original cast members returning to voice their characters as best as octogenarians can. Embracing the burlesque, while welcoming the darker aspects, this beautifully rendered revisiting is ideal for older, less discerning fans.

Incidentally, modern Batman fights crime by simply trolling villains online.

Green Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca

easily the best 2016 movie with Batman in it! a treat for fans of the West/Ward series

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
29 December 2016

I'm not sure if I would've rated this as highly as I am had I not seen Batman appear in three other films this year and (with the exception of one that was a cameo) they were disappointing entries in the Batman world. Maybe I'm just tired of having a "dark" Batman, and I say this as someone who collects the comics and has read many, many trades (yes, even New52 for you nerds going "wh-what?"), and seen the Burton Batman films countless times (the Nolan films get a little trickier for me, though Batman Begins is still a quality origin story). Definitely, not maybe, after the LEGO Movie, and with the upcoming LEGO Batman Movie, it seems difficult to find Batman as serious as he is when you have Batman singing about "Darkness! Dead Parents!" So enter in this, the return of Adam West and Burt Ward in a feature in 50 years, and I found it a complete delight and blast to the solar plexus.

Return of the Caped Crusaders isn't for the Batman fan that only grumbles about it being dark all the time, though interestingly this does reference the Dark Knight Returns in one line (and I had an especially riotous reaction to that). This is for the Batman fans that appreciated the campiness and the total self-referential attitude of the 60's series. I think that this was a great time for West/Ward/Newmar to return and for the filmmakers to try an animated movie since, oddly enough, after about 30 years of almost nothing but Dark Batman stories and movies (sure sure, with the exception of the Schumachers, but best to forget that for now), there's now at least some room, if not a turn around, for the campy and jokey and pun-explodingly-packed Batman series to return.

I could go into the plot but suffice it to say it's appropriate that it's for a cartoon - it involves a Bat-formula that Catwoman concocts and gets on Batman's cheek so that he becomes a "Bad" Batman, eventually making multiple Batmans (or, Batmen, which one, not sure), and it's up to Robin and Catwoman(!) to stop him or try to turn him (but can they when Batman has an Anti-Antidote?) This is thoroughly silly and yet it's as inventive as the show was. If you've seen the 66 movie then you should look at this as not so much a sequel as a simple follow-up, another in a series like when a new Pink Panther movie would come out.

What I appreciated the most is how much attention is paid to alliterations, to puns, to fully embracing the silliness and getting even a little meta about the impact of Batman over the past 50 years. There was a time this was seen as fun AND sophisticated, but that's been turned around by a lot of years of (often good, sometimes really great) Batman stories that returned it to its 'roots'. But isn't having a guy in a Bat costume with all of his Bat objects (there are too many to list here, but rest assured each one has its name written out right above it so you *know* what it is - this extends to the food factory having a sign outside saying "ABANDONED FROZEN FOOD FACTORY" hah!) kind of... silly? Or that the Joker has his slew of jokes or the Riddler with his riddles and Penguin with his "Rar!" sounds? Return of the Caped Crusaders is easily the best film with Batman in it in 2016, and probably my personal favorite in over a decade. I laughed, I laughed, and then I laughed some more.