IMDb > "Ransom" (2017/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ransom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ransom" More at IMDbPro »

This one has lame duck TV show written all over it

Author: randymcbeast from United States
2 January 2017

There are some absolutely brilliant TV shows being put out these days. This is in part due to the additional streams of content coming from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and of course the older TV newcomers like HBO, Showtime, etc.

In some cases, network TV has raised the bar to remain competitive and then there are shows like Ransom where it's just garbage that will inevitably be canceled mid-season or soon thereafter.

I just don't understand how a network like CBS can spend millions of dollars on such a crappy show, especially during a time when the competition for producing great content is so rapidly increasing. You think they would hire better people, people who wouldn't dare release such a weak show.

Now, I've only watched the first episode but it was so bad that there really isn't a reason to keep going. The cast was demographically thrown together, the story was full of holes and unrealistic scenarios, and it's your typical struggle then happy ending fake plastic TV trash that is contributing to the downfall of network TV.

Let's look at the first episode a bit more closely. A new college grad gets rejected from a job with this crisis agency but doesn't take no for an answer. In the lobby of the agency, after being rejected, a kidnapping news story comes up on the TV. She zips over to the kidnapping in a taxi, shows a business card of the crisis agency she took before leaving to the police officer guarding the scene, and he just lets her in. She then casually strolls into the building and into the war room where the hostage negotiation is taking place with nobody questioning her at all. She then puts her two cents in as the negotiator is on the phone with the hostage taker, and nobody says a word or throws her out. You get the drift and the whole episode goes down like this. Stinky, stinky, waste of time rubbish.

It's now just a matter of time before it gets canceled. CBS has failed big time with this show and the fact that they actually released it is a strong indicator that the network is heading further into irrelevance.

mystery with a twist and rescues

Author: thindi31 from United States
2 January 2017

I like mystery and cop shows. Ransom promised both so it was intriguing to me and I gave it a chance. The way the young college girl got into the first scene without ID was a bit far fetched. The head of the agency is a bit of a James Bond type which is appealing. Beaumont is like Bond in that he is mysterious and well dressed but can handle any altercation! There is a story within a story which I find holds my interest. It looks like this could be stories that are resolved each week which also appeals to me. Complete the problem and story each week and let me move on! I think it will be an entertaining show so I will continue to watch it. If you like the above you will like the show.

Refreshing and Intelligent

Author: jeffsanford
10 January 2017

I have enjoyed both episodes so far, as has the family. This is based on an actual person, like Lie to Me was, as well as Scorpion. I would rank this above Scorpion, which has gotten mundane. Lie to Me is better than this. But, I really like the characters in this show, and look forward to further character development.

The stories are good and are unique when compared to other hostage negotiation shows. The main character uses realistic techniques, so that is a plus. The technology is not realistic, yet, but is entertaining.

If you like Flashpoint, or Bull, or Lie to Me, then you will really like this show.

Looks like a possibility for plot and storyline

Author: cristislong from Hawaii
1 January 2017

Looking forward to a possibility of character development as the stories unfold. I enjoyed the characters presented. Also, the possibilities of back story revelations adds intrigue. I can see the possibility of a lot of breadth with this possibilities for plot. The pilot had me wanting to see how diverse the hostage situations will be as this one was unique in its "second level". We saw a beginning taste of only two of the characters in the company. I look forward to meeting the personalities of the other key players. The reason of why no weapons are used when meeting the "bad guys" is expected soon. Also, The back ground of our principals are a good reason to return for future episodes.