IMDb > "GLOW" (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"GLOW"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"GLOW" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

So Very Pleasantly Surprised at This Kick Ass Show!

Author: Brandi from Canada
24 June 2017

I was pretty skeptical of this show from the previews.--I was wrong to be so skeptical!! It's smart, funny and emotional at times. The costuming and soundtrack are great, as is the entire show. It's really well done and my only complaint is that it's a half hour show when I thought the episodes could have been longer. --I guess I just wanted more of a good thing! It really is better than the previews would leave you to believe. I can't recommend this enough for anyone who enjoys something different from their shows!

entertaining and interesting

Author: b_imdb-785-173208 from Amsterdam, Netherlands
24 June 2017

After having watched the first three episodes of Glow, I can say that this is really quite an interesting show. It's part of a new wave of "direct-to-VoD" series that don't have to bow to cable TV standards in terms of language or nudity, but also concerning story development. Glow is a comedy alright, but it tackles difficult subjects like adultery and hard life choices. I would not say that this combination clicks every single time, but there are really quite awesome moments (and very funny ones, too) and I enjoy the basic setup and characters a lot. The acting is also pretty good.

I am curious to see where this is going, but I have to say that I'm very happy that there are shows like this that try to break a little from the mold.

An instant '80's' classic made better through diverse casting and taboo breaking story lines!

Author: francesca-80418 from United Kingdom
27 June 2017

I adored it! I watched it twice through straight away. Take every lighthearted, cult 80's film from your youth and roll them into one, then inject the diverse casting and perspectives that all of those films were sorely missing, sprinkle on some amazing 80's fashion and music, serve with some fearless subject matter (storylines covering miscarriage and abortion, misogyny, anxiety. Racism and infidelity) and you get GLOW! What cinema in the 80's SHOULD have looked like. Just like Dirty Dancing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Back to the Future and The Breakfast Club, this show is going to be one that I watch again and again....and again. Something that I put on when life gets stressful and I just need to disappear into my kitsch 80's fantasy for a while. The episodes are short but impactful, the dialogue is fun and full of humour, after watching it you and your friends will just want to dress up like a wrestlers and start practising moves on each other! An all round hit for me, 10/10!

GLOW Season 1 Review

Author: Jordan Forbes
29 June 2017

Wrestling is a 'sport' I don't know too much about. All I know is that it is scripted TV that plays out in front of live crowds. And they 'fight'. After GLOW, my thoughts on wrestling haven't change much, but I can appreciate the behind the scenes a lot more.

GLOW is one of Netflix's newest additions to their ever so growing library. It follows a group of ladies as they take up a wresting job purely for the money. Set in the 80s where many females struggle to get big time work, the show explores the behind the scenes of wrestling while looking into the life of an actress in the 80s.

There is so much to talk about for this show that it is going to be hard to touch on all the bases. Firstly, this is a show about wrestling but it is a story about the characters. That is my biggest take away from this show. Considering that they only had 10 30 minute episodes, they managed to make you care about all these characters and give each an arc that some shows manage to do across several season.

I have to give a lot of credit to the writing, because without this show being written the way it was, there is no way it turns out as good as it does. Whether it is comedy or emotional dialog, every moment of this show is well crafted and not one line of dialog or one action from a character seems out of place.

An equal amount of credit has to go to the cast. While Allison Brie was the only name I knew entering the show, I exited the show with many stand outs. While Brie was one of them, I thought Marc Maron, Betty Gilpin and Britney Young stood up as the other standouts. That however takes nothing away from the rest of the cast. Each one of them nailed their performance and I couldn't name one member that stood out for the wrong reasons.

I thought the whole show was shot wonderfully. They really captured that 80s LA that I am use to seeing in movies, and if it wasn't for the camera and audio quality, I would have believed that this show was shot in the 80s. Much of that also came from the music choices. Similarly to Stranger Things, the music gave the show so much authenticity when it came to portraying a time period.

Overall, I was really surprised with this show. Firstly it was one of the easiest binge watches I have ever had. I watched the whole show in an afternoon because it was only 5 hours long rather than 10+. I'm not sure if this show will be getting a season 2 but I am all on board with it. I think this is one of the most well made shows around at the moment and it deserves all the credit it can get.

This Show Hits It Out of the Park

Author: zinjo00-587-975183 from Vancouver
26 June 2017

For all the Gen X and Y audiences this show is a nostalgic blast from the past! The music is spot on, the characters engaging, the story smart and funny. Definitely another hit for Netflix.

The show runners fully understand what wrestling is all about. The soap opera drama, the choreography, the archetype characters, it is all there.

I was curious and skeptical when I saw the previews, but I gave it a shot because Alison Brie has great taste in roles so I took a chance and am grateful I did. There is something for all viewers.

I hope there are plans to have a Brett Hart cameo in this show. As far as wrestlers go, he was the true master at making everything in the ring look painfully real.

This is a definite watch for anyone who enjoys good comedic dramas.

Be sure to check it out.

Back to the Future, Old Boy and deep dark humor. I liked it.

Author: rockdiscipline-223-142251 from Turkey
24 June 2017

I usually dislike Netflix shows. Especially those with super heroes. But I gotta admit. This was a pretty good one.

When it comes to reviewing good shows or movies it's just too hard for me because there are too many aspects that I liked about the show. So I never know where to begin with. But here are the things I enjoyed about this one:

1) The time setting. I always enjoy 80's and this show gave me that sense of 80's pretty well.

2) Acting was really good too. Especially with the character Ruth. This show involved a lot of acting within acting within acting. I mean it's a hard one. As an actor Alison Brie, you are the character Ruth of the show GLOW portraying a mediocre actor trying to find a good job for yourself. Once you find a fake wrestling show to take part in then that involves another level of acting which she "learns" by training within the show. Geez it's really hard to explain but I can summarize it by calling it something cheesy like actingception (derived from the movie inception just in case...) It's not just with Alison Brie but all the other wrestler women too.

3) The humor from time to time was predictable but it was still enjoyable and was a little dark, which I enjoy a lot. I believe there was even an OldBoy reference when one of the wrestlers happens to be the daughter of the director and then his daughter tells him what is what when the director tries to make out with his own daughter unkowingly. That moment was so odd and uncomfortable I was both smiling and at the same time embarrassed. Again hard to explain.

This show could get a 10 from me if the wresting moves were just a tiny bit more realistic. Of course they were doing it cheesy on purpose but the level of cheesiness could be reduced just a little bit more to make it seem like these women worked really hard and they started as desperate actors being clueless about wrestling but in the end they put out something that's the result of hard work. I guess I was expecting a much better development in terms of wrestling. They could even use rope tricks green screen CGI I wouldn't care really.

For instance the part in the show where Ruth and Machu Pichu were demonstrating their moves for the first time. They were so amazing. I was like wow these are going to turn into real wrestlers by the end of the show. But as the show proceeded it actually turned into camera techniques to hide actors' incompetence at wrestling.

I don't criticize the show because of my own expectations. I criticize because I fear that some people might find wrestling scenes too cheesy and it might turn them off. Wheras people like me would be okay thinking all that wrestling to be really good on a symbolic level.

Anyways I talked too much. You should really give this show a try.

Superb Writing & Acting

Author: Charlie Parker from United States
3 July 2017

The music, clothing and sets really capture the 80's vibe. Being born in 78 I know my 80's. I loved real wrestling like John Carpenter before it was ruined in the late 90's. this captures that vibe so well. Best acting I've seen in a super long time. I loved everything about this so much.

The Most Authentic Depiction of L.A. in the '80s I've Seen to Date

Author: darthramious from L.A. (more or less)
1 July 2017

The 1980s wasn't just neon fabrics, side ponytails, and cream colored suits with t-shirts. It was also too much moose, too much make-up, and sock-less penny loafers. It was ugly. Brilliantly, gloriously ugly and tacky. And that's what you see in this show. Superficially speaking, this series (and its characters) looks more authentically of the era than anything else I have seen portrayed on film in the last two decades.

Much of the credit goes to costume designer Beth Morgan, who sifted through photo albums to research the look of the decade, rather than fashion catalogs and television shows and seeing an obstructed, romanticized vision of the era. The characters either wear too much or not enough of everything. This was the eighties, warts and all, and just for that alone, this show is worth a look.

But on top of that, you have a rich, diverse cast of characters, almost all of which are multi-dimensional and bring more to the table than just what they appear to be (while ironically trying to play up their stereotypes to promote the show they are working on). And though some characters sadly don't get the time to fully develop in just ten half-hour episodes, you have reason to believe that they will in future seasons, as the executive producers have proved before in the ongoing seasons of 'Orange is the New Black'.

And then there's the men of GLOW. The women are getting plenty of praise - and deservedly so - but the few male characters depicted also get a chance to shine. Chris Lowell plays the fascinating benefactor to the entire GLOW enterprise. He's the only one - initially - with the vision of what the show should be, and although he isn't introduced until episode three ('The Wrath of Kuntar'), his presence is felt as the unseen force propelling a reluctant director and inexperienced cast to pursue this venture. Bashir Salahuddin is the epitome of the phrase "no small parts" in this series. He exudes a warmth that instantly brings calmness and security to anyone and everyone around him. And although he is given minimal lines and - what some may argue - a generic character in the handful of appearances he makes, you genuinely feel invested and supportive of the developments he undertakes in the latter half of the season.

And finally, there's Marc Maron. Whether or not you've heard about him yet, you will soon and it will be because of this role. He plays the director enlisted with putting an all-female wrestling show together. He comes from a B-list, schlock horror background and only takes the job to finance his dream project, but despite being a sleaze ball with a predilection for the vices of the time, he also genuinely cares for people. He's a guy who will step up and stick his neck out for the people he believes in, and unlike just about all the other characters written with a drug problem, Maron's character isn't dictated by societal expectations to flounder and jeopardize the other characters around him. He's an asset, and not only that, but an absolute necessity. He's also an addict, but a functioning addict, which sadly many people in the industry were back then.

Maron exemplifies everything great about this show. It's not glorifying the era, it's a raw, unapologetic, and - at times - brutally honest depiction of the 1980s in southern California: Flawed, hilarious, and tacky.

A GLOW-rious beginning

Author: jackthehack from Earth
28 June 2017

GLOW is loosely based on the actual GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) TV show which was a cheesy but charming women's wrestling show which ran for four seasons in the late 80s.

This is a really funny, heartwarming and sometimes exciting show. It is a very good combination of characters and wrestling. As a lifelong pro wrestling fan, the show successfully shows wrestling for being fun without making fun of it. I could have appreciated more insight into how hard it is to be a wrestler especially taking bumps which take a toll on the body. That being said, it does a very good job showing the people and getting us behind them. They are flawed people but likable and ultimately, you root for their success.

The performances are uniformly excellent. Alison Brie is a capable lead who keeps the movie centered. Marc Maron, as the frustrated but deep down decent cokehead director does a fabulous job. Betty Gilpin as the slightly arrogant former soap opera star is brilliant especially since she has a lot of emotional scenes. I loved the wrestler cameos which I will keep a secret.

To conclude, the show is a wonderful love letter to wrestling fans. It would have been convenient to mock wrestling as stupid and dumb but the show avoids that pitfall. For new fans, it would serve as a good conduit into the crazy world of wrestling and for wrestling fans, it shows a simpler era where we were not smarks who picked apart every booking decision. Highly recommended!

It's Simply A Treat

Author: Kshitij Saran
28 June 2017

I don't know as to why so many people hate it. It has 3 very important things going for itself: 1) Stellar Cast. Allison Brie is unrecognizable. Every character feels well sketched out. 2) Gripping story-line. Albeit a bit cheesy but it's intentional, I think and it's good kind of cheesy. 3) Brilliant screenplay and impeccable cinematography.

If you've ever been a fan of 80's comedy and you are a sucker for some good old underdog story, then this is the show for you.

It's mostly predictable yet every scene feels like a breath of fresh air. Every character is flawed and yet incredibly likable. And perhaps most importantly it doesn't have even a single dull frame.

Can't wait for the 2nd season.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]