IMDb > Coin Heist (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Coin Heist More at IMDbPro »

Not too sure about the future kiddies

Author: MooveeVu from Australia
8 January 2017

Coin Heist is a teener movie with an attempt at being a bit of a thriller. Certainly no Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller but we once again have the mandatory group of schoolyard antagonists coming together for the common good. In this case the CG is apparently to save their school. Not too sure why it's left to these 4 to save the school but awaaaaaay we go. This is where suspension of disbelief is to be called upon by the viewer in great chunks. Apparently the answer is to combine together, electronically hack into and physically break into the Government Mint and produce a heap of "collector edition coins" for resale and then donate the funds to the school! Luckily for the young inexperienced perpetrators of crime it seems that no-one is ever working at the Mint, or, if they are, they don't seem to mind a coupla 16 year olds walking around and fiddling with the machinery, camera surveillance is very limited and guards are very dumb. Also, you may well ask, why not keep the $10million & just quit school? The mandatory romance between bad boy and nerdy but pretty hacker student is here as well. Also as a sideline we join the current crop of "controversial" interracial relationships just to prove that we're "with it". Fairly fast pacing sucked me in. Many times I was tempted to cut it short because of the very(x4) far fetched fallacy that could never happen but I persevered to view the, as usual, happy ending. Incredibly unbelievable fantasy scenario, sort of like a soapie inspired, TV series that runs for 95 minutes if this is the future of filmmaking and viewing with the young kids I weep for that future.

Good Heist Story with Decent Characters

Author: yossarian100 from usa
8 January 2017

If you can appreciate a decent heist story pulled of by decent teenage characters, without Hollywood production values, then you should really give this a try.

Emily Hagins wrote and directed and I think she did a fine job with the adaptation from a novel. The narrative had a strong even pace and it never dragged. The young actors gave it their all, and I think they pulled it off just fine.

Don't be too critical of these small indie efforts, and you'll find a gem or two. "Coin Heist" may not have the huge budget that the "Oceans" series had, but the story was just as interesting and just as well told.

Enjoy it.

This isn't the "family fun" Italian Job you were expecting

Author: Tyson Hunsaker from United States
9 January 2017

Anyone who sees Coin Heist needs to have clear expectations as to what this film is and isn't. They should know going in to not expect the greatest heist movie you've ever seen or expect the production value to match some of Netflix's finest originals. Then again, it's definitely not the worst - it meets at an in-between mediocre groove that neither provides the audience with anything worth seeing and also doesn't "hurt" the viewer.

Right off the bat, the film's biggest flaw is its weak script and honestly cringe-worthy dialogue (more in the first half of the movie). The premise itself isn't inherently terrible but a few minutes into the movie, the audience will be able to tell it was written very poorly. Very, very poorly. Since this is such a big flaw, the movie itself suffers as a whole and doesn't make a great time.

That being said, there are some saving graces that make it easy to watch. First, the performances in general weren't bad. Particularly a few of the leads were actually good and the cast's effort in trying to sell the plot actually turned out believable in many cases. It's just a shame some decently talented actors are in a blander film then they should be. Second, it's shot consistency well throughout the picture. The cinematography and "look" to the film includes vibrant and visually compelling shots that make it even easier to watch. The editing also reflects a straightforward, precise feel that helps the film move at a very comfortable place that leaves no room for boredom.

If anyone is looking for an easy to watch, substance free flick to play at a party for some background entertainment, this will do just fine. If they're looking for a more well written movie to have a better time with and enjoy more thoroughly, this is far from it. Despite its strengths, the terrible writing does indeed place this movie in the "negatives" but definitely isn't the worst you'll find. All in all, it would be best to pass on this one since there are just so many better Netflix originals out there.

A refreshingly youthful viewpoint!

Author: markpj2009
17 January 2017

Female writer/director, Emily Hagins, is very apparently still young, and that comes across in the film.

However, contrary to previous productions of young film makers that have gone before, the young perspectives of Emily Hagins, combined with the very capable and professional approach of herself and her crew are both freshening and unique in the movie world. I give this movie a solid 8 out of 10 because the virtually unique combination of youth and professionalism will rarely if ever make it to the big screen.

The plot is interesting enough but, and without giving too much away, I have to say failing slightly on the believe-ability scale in terms of how the main characters where able to exploit certain security flaws at the plant.

All said, Coin Heist is well worth a watch for any movie buff.

High school seniors try to salvage their extracurricular clubs.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
15 January 2017

My wife and I watched this movie on Netflix streaming. It is definitely a "made for TV movie", looks like one and sounds like one, with a cast of mostly TV actors. It has a low rating, mostly deserved, but can be a fun viewing if one is in the right frame of mind. IOW, don't expect too much and look for the fun in it.

Filmed in New York locations but set in Philadelphia, the main plot requires a group of 4 students to team up to sneak into the Philadelphia Mint, alter a coin die for making quarters, hack into the control system to fabricate a few thousand coins with "errors" - an extra fin on a fish - and get out safely with the altered coins. Thinking they could eventually sell them at a big profit to coin collectors and re-fund the cancelled activities at school.

So that is all very implausible and unlikely that school kids could do that and get away with it. So we have to look a bit deeper, to the relationships the kids develop with each other, interactions with the teachers and administration, and the other kids who are oblivious to the plan.

I am glad we watched it, even with its limitations it is more fun than all the shooting, stealing, cheating, cursing movies that are typically being made.

Netflix misses the mark for once

Author: Joseph Nolan
10 January 2017

The moment I see the words "Netflix Original" in the title of a movie, I am immediately interested. This movie misses the mark in almost every category. Surprising because Netlox Original movies and shows have been some of the best programs I have ever seen. This movie is horrible. I thought it to be such a clever idea, a heist movie for younger viewers, but I can't imagine any young viewer getting past the first couple minutes, there is absolutely nothing in this movie that will interest anyone of any age. It's a shame because I thought it to be such a fresh, New idea. So many important aspects of the movie are left out, probably due to it being low budget, but it expects you to take too many things for granted. The actors are not believable, the scenes are not believable. The movie only gives you several minutes of the heist. I am so surprised that Netflix allowed this movie to make it through. Too bad.

Great Setup/Acting, But Fizzles As It Comes To Finish Line

Author: zkonedog from United States
14 January 2017

There are enough things inherent in "Coin Heist" that it really shouldn't work. The plot is outlandish, the ending descends into schmaltz, and (at heart) it's a teen coming-of-age drama (not like there are any of those floating around these days). However, despite all the unevenness and clichés, "Coin Heist" still manages to at least be entertaining due to the great acting and slickness of the setup.

For a basic plot summary (no spoilers), "Coin Heist" sees Jason (Alex Saxon) struggling with the reality that his father has been stealing from his high school's endowment, leaving the father in prison and the school in danger of shutting down. After a field trip to the U.S. mint, however, Jason's friend Alice (Alexis G. Zall), a hacker at heart and in skill, devises a plan to infiltrate the mint and print some rare coins that can be sold to save the school. The plan will only work, however, if they can also rope in organization queen Dakota (Sasha Pieterse) and outsider Benny (Jay Walker).

For the first half or so of "Coin Heist", I was invested in the characters and their mission. The producers do a great job of setting up the backgrounds of each character, and I really felt like they could be real high-schoolers. Sure, their mission is highly improbable, but that's what cinema is all about, right?!

The problem, however, is that after that roughly half-way point my investment really started to wane for two reasons:

1. The build-up to the caper was much more interesting than the caper itself; and 2. I felt that the ending descending into a bit too much hijinx and corniness for my liking. I realize this is a film directed at teens, so perhaps it plays a bit better to that demographic, but for an older viewer it seemed like a bit of a letdown to build up these great characters and then have them, in most cases, succumb to the tropes of the genre I was afraid would happen from the get-go.

So, while I can easily give "Coin Heist" a slightly-better-than-average 6 out of 10 stars here, I feel that it failed to take that "next step" into the greatness range due to its "running out of steam" in the latter portion. The target audience (teens) may disagree with me here, of course.