IMDb > Train to Busan (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Busanhaeng

Train to Busan More at IMDbPro »Busanhaeng (original title)

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

best modern zombies movie

Author: tom_saint from France
22 August 2016

Hello,

We can argue whether a zombies should be fast or not –

In the movie, they are fast, deadly and merciless…. It is more believable than those zombies can take over a city or a country within a day.

The movie succeed where Fear The walking dead failed miserably, to explain how the pandemic starts and how it has been spread so fast.

Most of the movie take place in a train, very claustrophobic place if you are chased by a herd of undead, but it worked for me, I felt the tension, the drama, the crazy survival instinct of ones and the resignation of the others.

Walking dead made the zombie apocalypse almost cool, with guns and sex and love story, In train to busan nothing is cool, you do not have gun, your family and pretty much everyone you know are dead, there is no escape and nobody will come to save you ..

I spent 2 marvelous hours watching a movie about zombies, I despite the fact I watched hundred movies about zombies, I have been surprised and scared.

Board this train!

Author: ctowyi from Singapore
4 August 2016

This is one fantastic train ride. I love the creative ideas and the economical character setups. No need for too much heavy top-down moralization. This is a straight-up disaster flick with zombies coming in swarms from all directions. So we already know the archetypal characters - the coward, the brave one, the pregnant one, the youth in love, the heroic one and so on. The fun is in seeing which one will die first and who will live. This train is loaded with some colorful characters.

Putting 80% of the action on a bullet train didn't constraint the wealth of inventive ideas one bit as the commuters escape the crazy zombies from car to car. The momentum is terrific and I kept marveling at all creative problem-solving; some I have never seen before. The character arc of the main actor from narcissistic anti-hero to titular hero is very potent and what injects the narrative with much forward power. Love the subtext of class and government hypocrisy, class division, vileness of human nature and the dreaded herd mentality. Ya ya ya, I know the movie never delves too deep into them. Because that would rob the movie of its relentless momentum. I think Paul Greengrass who made Jason Bourne needs to study the cinematography here. You don't need to do split-second cuts and shake the camera to make the audience feel in-the-moment. The action set-pieces are so well choreographed that I understand and see everything.

Straits Times (my local papers) said the last act is disappointing with the train derailing, crashing into some cliché-obstacles and careening through melodramatic territory. Hello? This is Korean cinema - melodrama is expected and in this case welcomed with open arms. IMHO the first two acts are so explosively fun and rollicking thrilling that it practically earned its melodramatic ending. Heck! I was nearly tearing up.

This is one of the most entertaining and unpretentious zombie movies I have seen in a while. This is one train you need to board.

The best zombie movie I have ever seen

Author: davelowen
23 August 2016

The best zombie film I have ever seen (outside of the comedy Shaun of the Dead). Such a great film. It starts exactly like a train ride gathering momentum and gaining speed. The only difference with this train ride is I didn't want it to stop. It has a brilliant script, fantastic effects plus a very good choice of cast and acting. It also has a 'credible' plot (as credible as you can get with the zombie genre). Many of the scenes will stay with me for a long time. I hear that Hollywood want to do a remake of it. It will be interesting if it will be done as well as this. I thoroughly recommend this very refreshing and fast paced film. Get a ticket and enjoy the ride!

Worth your time!

Author: akosijesu from Philippines
2 September 2016

I'm not a big fan of South Korea movies or TV shows but I love zombie movies so I try this one and I didn't disappointed as a zombie movie fan!

Train to Busan is such a great ride, Well Written, A lovely cinematography, wonderful performances with the main cast, and especially unbelievable performance with the zombie actors to this film!

This is the film that you will never forget this year because its all in one movie, FUN RIDE, ACTION RIDE, SUSPENSE RIDE AND DRAMA RIDE! Hollywood zombies films I think you need to think twice now because South Korea zombies will eat you alive!

4over5

More Than Just a Zombie Film

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
5 September 2016

This new Korean film "Train to Busan" is certainly earning a lot of positive word of mouth and box office success since its debut in the Midnight Screenings section of this year's Cannes Film Festival.

The central character is Seok-woo, a man stressed out with problems about his investments business and his divorce. His 9-year old daughter Su-an, feeling neglected, requests her father to bring her to Busan the next day to see her estranged mother. Seok-woo could not say no.

On the same train to Busan as Seok-woo and Su-an, a lady passenger with a bite wound on her legs, collapses and turns into a zombie. As she bites another person, that next person would also turn into a zombie and so on. Panic ensues on the train, and as everyone eventually discover along the way that the same zombie frenzy was true for the rest of the country. The fight to survive is now on.

This film was one exhilarating roller-coaster ride from beginning to end. The zombies and their attack scenes were very well-executed with a combination of practical and computer-generated effects. These monsters were very fast-moving and relentless in their quest for human flesh. We hear people around us gasp and shriek with shock as we see these zombies pile up in droves and hordes, crash out of windows and barrel through doors. We breathlessly hang on to the edge of our seats the whole ride.

Of course, what Korean film does not have a good dose of melodrama? The father-daughter dynamic between Seok-woo and Su-an is front and center. But aside from them, we also meet a cast of supporting characters on the train whose fates we will be following for the rest of the film. These include a burly man with his pregnant wife, a teenager with his girlfriend and his baseball team, a haughty businessman, two elderly sisters and a homeless man, among others. We get just enough introduction about who they are for us to care about what happens to them.

Gong Woo played the flawed lead character Seok-woo very well. He was able to convincingly portray the development of this uncaring apathetic guy into a hero we could all root for to get through this crisis alive. He was as good in the weepy dramatic scenes as he was in the swashbuckling action scenes. This actor has come a long way since his breakout role as lead star of the TV romantic comedy series "The Coffee Prince" back in 2007.

Kim Su-an is only 10 years old but she had already been acting in films for five years now. She is the dramatic core of this film as the daughter desperately reaching out to her jaded father. As a child actress, she held her own impressively among this cast of veterans with her heartfelt portrayal. Who would have thought that the sad little song she wanted to sing for her father would resonate so much?

Ma Dong-seok is charismatic as Sang-hwa, a devoted husband and selfless fighter. We see him first as some sort of comic relief only, which made the audience warm up to him. Later, we would discover how much more his character was able to do and give for others, and loved him more. His pregnant wife Seong-kyeong was played by acclaimed Korean indie film actress Jung Yu-mi, conveying strength in her delicate condition.

Another actor of note is Kim Eui-sung, who was totally hateful in his role as the selfish Yong-suk. In total contrast to Sang-hwa, Yong- suk was a man only thought of himself alone, not caring that he actually put a lot of other characters directly into harm's way.

Ahn So-hee (as Jin-hee) and Choi Woo-shik (as Young-guk) were in there to inject some teenage romantic angst into the film. They were relatively lightweight performers who were probably included just because they looked cool. That scene when Young-guk encounters his baseball teammates-turned-zombies was very well-conceived by the writers.

People may dismiss as "just" being a zombie film, but it is the drama of human relationships and interactions that rises above the horrific and thrilling carnage. Director Yeon Sang-ho's first two feature- length films ("The King of Pigs" and "The Fake") were both animated films exploring the bleak side of human nature. With his first live action directorial effort, Yeon has created a complete film masterpiece with "Train to Busan." Highly recommended! 10/10.

Highly Entertaining - Climax after climax, not a single minute is wasted.

Author: S T
3 September 2016

If I have not watched the trailer, I will give it a score of 10 for its entertainment value but having seen the trailer, a little is lost. I don't remember having watched any movie that is so damn engaging, so easy to follow, and so exciting right from the first few minutes all the way to the end. All the exciting moments end with a climax that's fit for a movie. The few minutes during each break for audience to catch their breath is not boring or wasted, perfectly used for characters development. I don't understand why someone commented the last 30 minutes is not as good. I find each climax better in the next. If they make a sequel to show some happenings elsewhere with the same plot and concept, I will still watch it.

Adds a lot of spark to the zombie genre.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
12 August 2016

This lively South Korean zombie flick arrives in Oz with a limited release, which is a pity as it's a riotous adventure filled to the brim with action, gore and damn interesting story beats. Like all good films within this subgenre, the narrative is rife with metaphors about modern day issues (parent-child connections, corporate greed, human interaction, etc) but it also provides a compelling survival plot when taken at face value. The core relationship between Yoo Gong's self-centred businessman and his quiet, emotionally-neglected 9-year-old daughter (Soo-an Kim – a tour de force) is riveting as it gets put through the wringer, never feeling anything less than authentic. There are spurts of melodrama, however, that induce the odd unintentional chuckle, whilst a select few from the supporting cast play up their stereotypes – love-struck school girl, despicable scaremonger, muttering homeless man – a little too much. Sang-ho Yeon directs with unabashed gusto, pumping up tension and thrills though a string of adrenaline-pumping set pieces, an amazing train-station sequence that turns from hopeful to deadly being a particular high point. The undead are suitably grotesque and enjoyably expendable, their physical movements a mix between the 28 Days Later mode of rapid flesh-eaters and the herky-jerky twitches of J-horror ghosts, although the rules for how quickly someone becomes "infected" seems to vary depending on plot requirement. It doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the zombie genre, but with a bunch of exhilarating set pieces and a willingness to kill off anyone at anytime, Train to Busan certainly adds a whole lot of spark.

Challenge of Korean blockbuster, and it succeeded quite well

Author: kanyeezy-28832 from Korea
23 July 2016

Making zombie blockbuster movies outside of Hollywood is not an easy task. Money is the biggest problem, of course. Since it takes a lot of money, success should be guaranteed before making a movie is decided. However, because there are no other precedents, you can't tell whether it's going to succeed or not. This bad cycle kept Korean directors from making zombie blockbusters. This tells how bold movement it was to make 'Train to Busan'. This movie was destined to be 'hit' or 'flop' and it turns out to be 'hit'. Then, this gives a food for thought. What made this Korean zombie blockbuster movie which is definitely unfamiliar to Korean people successful? Ironically, the secret lies in familiarity. Let's take a look at this movie. Yes, it has zombies, but is this movie all about them? No. Unlike 28 days later or resident evil, this movie actually doesn't care about zombies that much. Zombies are not explained much. Their origin, their ability, cure for zombies…These are the things that are not being handled well in the movie. In this movie, zombies are just tools to represent 'threats'. The main theme of this movie is about how people react to threats. Selfishness, altruism, violence, love and much more are being depicted in this movie. And Korean people are quite accustomed to these elements. When directors mix these elements well, then the movie becomes a hit, just like this one. However, this movie still has some downsides too. Acting of Jin-hee is quite unbearably bad and the character Yong-suk (who keeps trying to sacrifice others to save himself) had gone way too far. Yes, I can get mad at bad guys but I don't want to get annoyed at them. Also, getting annoyed gets worse when it is not properly resolved as this movie does. Overall, this is a quite well-made movie, though it still has some bad moments. I believe this movie will be a new beginning for Korean blockbusters. And I recommend you to watch this movie to stay alert for rise of Korean movies.

One of the best zombies film i ever seen

Author: thmear from Paris
17 August 2016

Very good scenario and the actors are excellent. This film keeps you in stress until the end.

If you like zombie film don't miss this great movie. Those monsters are very fast (like in "28 days later") and very very aggressive

Korean director are very good in making thrillers film. Now you can count on them for horror adventure and zombies stories.

You can also see "Seoul station" from the same director. A very nice animation from the same director and from witch "Busanhaeng" is the sequel.

2 hours of pure anxiety

Nice images of train crash

Zombies on a train!? Boss!

Author: subxerogravity from United States
31 July 2016

We're leaving (leaving) on that Zombie Train to Busan (leaving on the undead train).

Use to seeing Korean horror films about ghost, but Zombies!? This was refreshing.

So this neglectful dad tries to make amends with his daughter by riding with her on the train (which she wanted to go by herself) to take her back to his ex-wife. Lucky for both of them as a zombie outbreak happens while their on the train. Now, their only hope for survival is to make it to the Busan stop.

You really can't go wrong with a Zombie movie. It's rare that I've have seen one that I did not like. Train to Busan is definitely a good one too. Its filled with interesting characters. Other than the father daughter team, the train is also occupied by a pregnant women and her Macho and humorous husband, a school girl and her baseball playing boyfriend and some homeless wonderer who saw the outbreak first hand, just to name a few.

The social commentary speaks on what you are made of as an individual and as a society with the best and the worse coming out of everyone during this crisis.

I loved how relentless and aggressive the Zombies were. More like 28 days later than Romero. The special effects do get a little cartoony with zombies that seem to come form nowhere piling over one another like poring cereal into a bowl or something, but it does give you that man, these guys are screwed feel. Train to Busan focus on the idea that the walking dead sense you through sight and sound. If they can not see you or hear you they have no way of knowing your living flesh is a foot away from their hunger. It made for some cleaver obstacles when a group of passengers have to maneuver through train cars filled with zombie passengers (Sounds like the next game in the Resident Evil franchise).

Also found it interesting that no zombies were shot in this picture. I don't know how Korean gun control laws work, but I can assume it's strict enough that the story would make no sense if someone on the train just happen to have one for zombie killing (unlike an American movie in which the unborn child having a gun would be fine so long as it moved along the story). Definitely a rarity in a Zombie picture and it worked.

It's Action packed, it's humorless, with incredible looking zombies and a cast of characters so lively you give a crap what happens to them in the end.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]