IMDb > "Claws" (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Claws"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Claws" More at IMDbPro »

This,that and a whole lotta other

Author: tomkofof from United States
11 June 2017

Near perfect,very adult crime drama. This pilot spent not one minute BSing it's way to a surprising conclusion to set up what looks like a very rough ride of woman power. Previews made this look sassy,but it is much more. This looks like a sophisticated crime thriller.

Very well executed. Niece Nash (Scream)and Dean Noriis (Breaking Bad),along with Carrie Preston (True Blood) and others give difficult,really wonderful,believable performances with very adult material. I gave the pilot a 10.

A Fun Mix of Breaking Bad and Beauty Shop

Author: Dolly Peppers
20 June 2017

So everyone is going on about the sex and yes maybe it is a little graphic, but it was originally intended for HBO so that's to be expected. It's nothing worse than the sex scenes in Game of Thrones, maybe even a little better because the actual genitals are not flopped in your face, and that's an Emmy winning show with lots of critical acclaim so I fail to see why one show deserves a low rating while the other continues to be praised. Now onto the things I think are good.

The diverse casting is a pleasant surprise and the inclusion of LGBT characters is great! But what I really appreciate is the character of Dean Simms, played by Harold Perrineau. Dean is an autistic man and so far the characterization of him has been pretty accurate. His mannerisms and behaviours are well portrayed and the character certainly isn't a joke character. It's nice to see adults with aneurotypical brains being treated seriously on TV.

The wardrobe is out of this world almost. I can't decide whether or not everything is artfully tacky or if it looks good. Most of Niecy Nash's outfits hit and Judy Reyes looks hella sharp in her suits! AND THE NAILS! You know a show about a nail salon has to have awesome nails and they do. Overall I dig it.

The humor is dark, but that's not a bad thing. In the second episode Nash and Karrueche Tran are loading a body into a boat to dispose of it and they discover another body! "Who is that?!" screams Tran only for Nash to go "I don't know!" I laughed out loud. And the funeral strippers had me in tears.

On the not so well done side of things, the repeated racial attacks on Tran's character by some of the other characters is getting questionable and Dean Norris' accent is BAD. Like BAD BAD. Plus some of the writing isn't as polished as it could be and they seem to be having a hard time finding things for some of the characters to do that are related to the plot so there is some time spent there that could be better directed elsewhere. Still it's early in the show and everyone is finding their feet right now. I find more I like than more I don't.

Overall this is a fun criminal romp in the playground of a Florida nail salon. I expect good things from it. As long as you don't take the show too seriously, I think you'll have fun watching it.

a LOT of fun - and yeah, raunchy - not for the prudish!

Author: jack patrick from United States
23 June 2017

TBT continues to dazzle. They promoted the hell out of this, somebody spent a lot of $ - and it shows, in a raunchy and engrossing noir comedy. But - a little puzzled that some seem surprised by the graphic (and witty!) vulgarity - "prurient"? yep, definitely! anyone who had seen a promo, or looked at the first 2 minutes - would know that this was not going to be Downton Abbey or The Good Wife. South Florida is a strange & wonderful place - and Claws is worthy of that milieu.

The cast: Niecy Nash has been a particular favorite since the wonderful Reno 911 - happy to see that she has found a perfect showcase. Carrie Preston, sometimes a bit too twee in her Good Wife stint. is letter-perfect,often raunchy funny but also deeply moving in her fragile gentility. Judy Reyes is always a welcome sight - a world away from her Carla on Scrubs. Great secondary characters -eg, the brilliant Dale Dickey, with her face for the ages. Dean Norris and the other males are all good, but the women rule here.

Nash's clothes, like her attitude, are magnificent, the stripper biker funeral in Episode 2 has to be seen to be believed, and Florida looks great.

A last note: "Tailored to a very specific audience" as the last line of a rather hateful 1-star review - really? Seems to be flirting with racism ... altho, I'm surely part of that target audience, and I'm a middle aged white man from the south, so yeah - target away!

Something fresh and really engaging

Author: charlie
13 June 2017

I absolutely loved this show! Right from the start it had me. From the genuinely interesting and eclectic mix of main characters to the plot twists. Its great to watch a show where females are given less predictable story lines. I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy, it seems to be more of a thriller drama based show. I cant wait to see what happens next...

Personal Opinion

Author: Stephanie Davis-Holmes
25 July 2017

Rarely TV shows hold my attention, I get board with the plot and just shut the TV off. I started recording "Claws" because a few of my friends have worked on the production and I was just curious after hearing them talk about "Uncle Daddy" and the entire list of characters. I started watching the first episode only to binge watch the entire season to the current episode. I was hooked! I had to know what happened next and I have not done that since the days of Falcon Crest and Dallas when I was a kid! I HAD to tune in Sunday night when the current episode was to air because I just had to know what was going to happen. It is not a family friendly show by any means, it is directed to mature audiences. You will see T&A if you watch it so don't be shocked just hide your eyes. Again, I am hooked on the show! I think I need my nails done now too.

Clawing Its Way Out The Boutique

Author: LouieInLove
9 July 2017

When I was forced to watch the first episode of Claws I admit to rolling my eyes. I had preconceived ideas about what this would be. I thought it would be inaccessible claptrap with a political agenda thickly smeared over it. I was wrong. Claws is funny, clever & original with the right amount of quirky thrown in the mix which all goes to accessible entertainment. Well done to the writers. So much female fronted entertainment of late has been simple plagiarism of previously male fronted outings (we've all seen it), thankfully there's still some original writing out there for females.

All the actors do a good job but a special mention must go to Niecy Nash & Carrie Preston – excellent work ladies.

Overall the show is growing in strength & folk should give it a chance.

Naughty Niecy!

Author: Geezer-geez from United States
4 July 2017

Well, your enjoyment of this show hinges on how well you like the lead, Niecy Nash. I think she does a great job on this show, both in the drama and comedy aspects. Plus, she looks sexy as hell on this show! She does a very good job of pulling off the "Good Girl doing bad things to get a Good Result". She has her heart in the right place, (along with everything else)! Dean Norris, (Hank from Breaking Bad), plays the bad guy, and he over- acts over the top. I can forgive this and don't consider it totally "serious" drama, but acceptable entertainment. Enjoy!

New and different

Author: jmhfl-76419
20 June 2017

It's like a comedy-drama that draws you in. It's Orange is the New Black meets Empire, meets Star, meets Breaking Bad, meets Power. Not for everyone, but I love it! Great acting and cast. Needs a bit more developing, but Empire did too in the first few episodes. The show definitely needs a chance. Claws could be a "sleeper" and I look forward to each new episode.

Love this Show!!

Author: kendri25 from United States
9 July 2017

I absolutely love this show. I grew up in Manatee County where this takes place. The writers have done an awesome job with the "almost true" Manatee County crimes. My only complaint is you can tell some of these scenes were not filmed in Manatee/Sarasota County. I hope when the film another season all scenes will take place in the proper areas.

Living the American Dream

Author: drjgardner from California
3 July 2017

"Claws" is a strange blend of comedy and crime mixed together in an over-the-top script that will attract or irritate you depending on how much you like gratuitous sex, foul language, drugs, murder, lesbianism, con games, etc.

There is some really fine acting here from some fine actors (Carrie Preston, Dean Norris, Harold Perrineau, Karrueche Tran, Kevin Rankin), and I have to admit the scenes in the nail parlor are really interesting to me.

In many respects this is the story of the American dream for an aspiring nail salon owner (Niecy Nash) and her 4 employees. They are trying to rise out of their lower middle class lives and the appeal of fast money has corrupted each of them in a different way. Now as their big break seems on the horizon, the sins of the past keep coming back to haunt them.

I can understand that some people will be put off by the content, but I like it. I gave it a 7. I would like it better if they spent more time in the salon.