IMDb > "The Mick" (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Mick"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Mick" More at IMDbPro »

Cute but tired

Author: MlleWackjob
18 January 2017

Gave this show a try, but it didn't hit my funny bone. I've seen it all before. The comedy with the housekeeper is borderline racist. The smart-aleck middle child is the usual kid who doesn't speak like a kid, the oldest is the usual rebellious teen. Some parts made me laugh, but not enough to stay with it.

I have to write 10 lines, so here goes:

I love It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It's a lot smarter.

This doesn't seem very smart most of the time. I don't like traditional sitcoms, no matter how much they try to bring something new. Seen it before.

Seen it before

Se

Not great, not bad, something in the middle

Author: EdN from Brussels
16 January 2017

After seeing episode 4, I caught myself smiling sometimes with a few jokes. It's racy, it's raunchy and totally unbelievable. Kids who try to outsmart grown-ups, who are actually dumber than the kids. The jokes are predictable, but it takes a spin on it.

Everyone is portrayed like a cliché. Like the over sized maid who speaks 'Spanglish'. The hunk of a boyfriend of the daughter. The slob of the boyfriend of the girl. But then again, this is what most people like in soaps.

So, my opinion, the ideal show to watch during your lunch hour. But nothing more than that.

When she makes the cleaning woman drop acid?

Author: drake34 from United States
14 January 2017

I mean how absurd was that and I loved it. I mean...it was so WEIRD...I honestly...have not laughed so hard since the 1st time I watched Sideways. It was sort of like that. So glad Fox gave this show a chance. Mickey is such a train wreck and she knows it and does not even care. It is so irritating to people and perhaps not as funny to them because they cannot relate. I have had my life turned into HELL from a train wreck before both short and long term. The last one burned her apartment building to the ground BTW. She was...SERIOUSLY so much like this woman...I am almost thinking it is based on her. I love the part where Mickey doses the cleaning woman with acid. I mean...that is so obscure it must have really happened.

Hilarious fun

Author: chrisdye-17212 from Lancaster sc
16 January 2017

I watched the first episode of the show while I haven't watched any more of it judging by what I have seen we have a real treat right here the show is simply hilarious and incredibly creative love the character of mickinzie she is sweet and funny needs a little work for being a mom but with the right teaching she will be a role model parent she is a good example of how people can change if the right surcomestances come about the kids are hilarious a little dirty mouthed but great kids I love the show so far fox has a hit right here I can only hope it gets better and more family friendly in time it's a sweet little show watch it

Bird watching

Author: Ron White (ronniewhitedx) from Portland, Oregon
11 January 2017

I believe within the first 3 episodes there is some real potential here. Mai character Micky (Kaitlin Olsen) has everything to benefit from her character of Dee of Always Sunny fame, and she is an obvious veteran of her craft. Everything from her delivery to her facial expressions scream hilarity and she is finally the star her Always Sunny counterpart wanted to be. There isn't that much content here yet and I plan on writing a thorough review for each episode, but in short Kaitlin Olsen Mickey gets invited to her sisters BBQ where there she finds out that her sister and her brother in law are involved in hxc fraud and are in some deep sh#@. This leaves our star taking care of there 3 Sh#@ty ass children, now this is where I am reluctant to love this TV show.

Sabrina played by Sofia Black is the oldest of the bunch, and she is a living breathing stereotype of the upper class media model, I cringe more than I laugh when I subject myself to the writing behind her character, she is an unlikable character and no redeeming qualities accept for when harm is being inflicted upon her (Sweet Granny Revenge).

The Middle Brother Chip (Thomas Barbusca) isn't much better than her older sister, as they are both pretty unlikable, but at least he can say something pretty amusing every now and then that ll catch you off guard.

Now the youngest brother Ben (Jack Stanton) is something a lil fresh for the genre especially since he is so small and innocent and nothing like his two siblings (accept not to bright), he doesn't take away from the shows mature themes as much as he adds to them in an almost twisted way as he is so young. Love the addition of his character. And it also allows for the Mick to build a character of her own

Im a die hard Always Sunny fan and try not to bring any of that bias here, because they are not the same show, they aren't the same characters... the cast isn't as strong, but they are just showing us a lil taste right now I feel. There is something here we just have to wait for more.

Pros: + Kaitlin Olsen + Youngest brother Ben (Potentially genius) + Dark humor + Sharp editing and tight direction so far + acting all around is solid

Cons: - Oldest Child Sabrina (cancerous dialogue) - Premise (Unrealistic.. almost to a fault)

Neatral: = plot is barely original, but not bad = Middle child Chip

A Fun Comedy

Author: Josiah Jubilee from California
6 January 2017

I'm not easy to please when it comes to TV. I like a variety of genre's but i need at least decent writing to keep me interested. An example is that i've liked Lost(until the end), Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Friends, Most of New Girl, the first few seasons of Castle, and Fringe (not sure how i felt about the end) I like it if the writing and characters are engaging, they don't have to be super original or groundbreaking, because frankly i don't watch TV for original or groundbreaking. I watch to be entertained and comfortable, not challenged.

The mick does that well. It's easily likable i think, as most of the characters are likable. And the writing is good in that it stays out of the way of the characters, but isn't scared of taking them by the throat. Enjoy!

If you're a Kaitlin Olsen or "Sunny" fan, enjoy!

Author: gcummings-88900
4 January 2017

Kaitlin Olsen is one of those actors that has a particular character that is done superbly. "The Mick" lets this character run free, and so far I love what I'm seeing.

MacKenzie Murphy (the Mick) is a streetwise, sarcastic babe with zero regard for the law and little regard for right and wrong. She is forced by circumstance to take charge of her sister's mansion and wonderfully over-entitled offspring who have no love for her, nor she them.

I am impressed by every character in the show. It is rare to see a new show where everybody's character is already likable and filled with potential.

"The Mick" is hilarious, fun, and refreshing, and is my new show to watch.

The first winner of the season

Author: chrisdye-31867 from Lancaster sc
4 January 2017

I have watched the premier of the show and all I gotta say is that I can get all the positive revert it's Foxes first big hit of the season it may turn out to be different but from what I experienced the show is hilarious and I can't wait to watch more of it Mackenzie is charming even though clearly flawed but that is the point here she's got to learn about child care and other things along the way but she is lovable and inecent in most ways just give it a chance you're probably going to love it and if you think.oh this is too girly for a macho man like me. Well think again. I am a 27 year old straight man who loved the show and wants more of the entire family.so try it

Finally!

Author: kemro2002 from Madrid
3 January 2017

I have to start by stating that I love 'smart', intellectual comedy, and clearly this is not it. Firstly, the problem I have been having lately is that a lot of the today's comedy is actually too dramatic and not as easy to watch as I would like it to be. Secondly, the other, bigger, problem is that a lot of the 'easier' stuff is not so good. The good news is that 'The Mick' is somewhere in between, satisfyingly good and super easy to watch.

I had a really high expectations when I watched the trailer, and I could not wait to watch the pilot, and although I can't say it lived up to the expectations I was genuinely entertained and satisfied it.

The cast is solid, and Kaitlin Olson seems quite good as Mackenzie Murphy, but I might be a bit biased cause I find her incredibly funny and I would watch anything she is in cause I am a huge 'It's always sunny in Philly' fan.

Easy to watch and fun is what this show is, and what I really think is missing on TV, so I vote 'Yay'!

Good "Uncle Buck" Spin

Author: patrick-72041 from Montana
3 January 2017

It was a fun tryst of sophomoric bits which is nice to see. If you're getting tired of TV shows trying too hard to be funny and failing miserably, I think the light humor in "The Mick" will give you a place to enjoy a little "guilty pleasure". The haters are going to push you away from this show because it doesn't fit their pseudo-intellectual comedy guidelines, but it's worth the watch. I really does have all the "Uncle Buck" attributes, so if you wanted more Uncle Buck, you will get somewhat of a reprisal of the show with "The Mick". The obtuse Older daughter, the middle child with a stronger sense of understanding than a kid his age should have, and the little kid with all the questions in the world. So take this quarter and go have a rat gnaw that thing off your face.