IMDb > "Chance" (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Chance"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Chance" More at IMDbPro »

Chance is a psychological thriller that is both intriguing and intelligent.

Author: anfalarshad
20 October 2016

Hugh Laurie ("House") is a doctor again, but this time he's a neuropsychiatrist in San Francisco in the thriller based on Kem Nunn's acclaimed novel.

The 10-episode series has a crime noir feel to it.Chance, who is going through a rough divorce, finds a new patient alluring and becomes hell-bent on helping her. Add to that his new acquaintance with Ethan Suplee's baddie, who is as adept with his fists as he is at mettalurgy, and the good doctor quickly finds his life spiraling out of control.

Laurie is very un-House-like here, playing Chance as timid, unsure and unstable, which led me to believe some of what Chance is experiencing may not be real. His performance is quite a contrast to the cocky, obstinate House or to the menacing arms dealer he played in this summer's hit, "The Night Manager." The change here shows off his versatility as an actor.

"Chance" is paced extremely well, building with tension from the outset. It'll hook you, then surprise you. Grade: A

brilliant and creepy at the very same time -- Laurie shines

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
31 October 2016

Perhaps the highest compliment I can pay to the production team behind CHANCE is that this would have been an interesting show on its own, even before the casting of Laurie.

But there's the rub. They did cast Laurie and thereby elevated this to brilliant.

It is about a "consulting neuro-psychiatrist" which is a fancy way of saying a doctor that takes one creepy case after another.

Add in music that would not be out of place in a horror film and you have all the fixings for good entertainment.

And then there is Laurie himself. What a pro! You would guess he would want to reprise House, one of the most memorable roles in the history of TV. And you would be wrong.

Laurie has crafted his character to be almost the "anti-House." Tentative, awkward, uncertain, shy and fearful. The kind of shrink that could himself use a shrink.

Great show. Recommended.

Hugh Laurie is an outstanding actor

Author: mymalshami from Saudi Arabia
21 October 2016

Whatever Hugh Laurie presents always turns to be an outstanding product, I saw til now only one episode of Chance and i cant wait to watch the second one. I highly recommend the viewers not to miss this awesome TV Series. in this series Dr. Chance is absolutely different character than Dr. House he is so loving, caring and sincere. up to the moment i couldn't take him seriously Lol. feeling that he will through a jock here or there and to be all sarcastic as we are used to him in Dr. House. still Hugh Laurie is amazing actor, i don't know how can he switch his personality this way. he also acted amazingly in his last TV series The Night Manager as arms dealer. Really great job Hugh Laurie keep it up!

Hugh Laurie never fails to exceed expectations

Author: EarsIdeas from Perth
26 October 2016

As with many readers, I have grown up with Hugh Laurie's acting career and can barely fault any of his projects, This is no exception.

The writing of this series is impeccable and Hugh has once again risen to the occasion. When one considers the variety of acting he has undertaken over his illustrious career, one can only marvel at his expertise in the acting profession.

This programme has sown the seed that it will grow into a massive hit and HL deserves every accolade in leading it to a well deserved success.

Enjoy!

Engrossing and Intelligent

Author: Ronak Modi from India
22 October 2016

Just finished 2 episodes of "Chance" and it has already left me craving for more. Normally within two episodes you realize where the show is going and what is in store for you but here the writers haven't revealed the crux of the story which has made me intrigued.

You do not have to ask about acting of Hugh Laurie, he is actor of highest quality you can get for the show. Direction, Cinematography and Screenplay are just as perfect as the acting.

I am so confused in a positive manner that I do not know what will be happening in next episode. You just feel like competing the series in one sitting itself and wait for next episodes is killing me !!!

This series is blowing my mind

Author: logolaunge from Chile
25 November 2016

The series began so good, but this is in every episode that happens that gets better and better, is something incredible. With each episode I get on the edge of my chair. Especially the last 15 min, it's crazy and I love it. Is series is created in such a clever way that nothing is predictable. The end of this season is a total mystery. I can not wait to see what's going on in Season Two. I am fascinated. I'm fascinated with all the production and the casting could not have been better . Hugh Laurie is an incredible actor (who is perfect in the role of Eldon Chance) because he transmits emotions without being over acted.

Just finished episode four.... Its unpredictably good

Author: J Chris Stephens from United States
3 November 2016

This noir-esque mystery thriller has grabbed me with it's unpredictable plot and brilliant acting. Being in the age of the 'binge', I usually let episodes accumulate so that I can binge 4-6 episodes at a time, but Chance has me running back every Wednesday to ignore my responsibilities and envelope myself in the mystery of what the **** is going. I don't mean that in meandering plot kind of way but rather it is such a well constructed mystery that I can't condescendingly ruin the series to my girlfriend from flimsy foreshadowing. I really have no idea how it's going to turn out for Dr. Chance, and I love it.

So Hugh Laurie, do I really have to say much? If you're familiar with Stewart Little, you are perfectly well aware of his acting chops. Honestly, he does a very good job of distinguishing what may be considered two similar roles of Dr. Chance and Dr. House. He portrays Dr. Chance as a much more meek and quite guy who retains many deep personal flaws, opposed to the infallible braggadocios Dr. House. The real star of the show and someone that I just can't read is Ethan Suplee as D. He retains intrigue at every turn and gives what I believe is his best performance and the best performance of 2016.

Beyond those few points, go check it out, it's really an incredible show.

Excellent show!

Author: Gregoryy John House from United Kingdom
8 December 2016

I won't give away any details of the plot. Anyway, so far I have watched every episode from the first to the current one (the 9th). What can I say? Just this much: I thoroughly enjoyed the show so far! Even though I have read the novel before watching the show (means I know what is going to happen in the final episode)I absolutely loved it! The actors were well picked by the casting department! The whole thing is very intense. And if there's one thing they've mastered it's the art of ending episodes on cliffhangers! All in all, the show certainly doesn't fit mainstream television. But it will appeal to everyone who loves a well-scripted drama/film noir series! I can't wait for the next Season! Glad to know it's already green-lighted! I already wonder what paths that one will lead us down to...

Take a chance on it

Author: matthijsalexander from Netherlands
18 November 2016

The premise of the show seems a good one and the lead actor, I think, has monopoly on a-Doctor-that-is-off roles.

The pilot is intriguing and certainly captivating. The acting across the board high level. The pilot is one that leaves you curious.

Though I don't think this has the potential House had, I think it will be well received and potentially a long running show as they could go anywhere with this.

A 7.5 for now, after seeing 2 episodes. There are too many series out there that fail, too many series that from the get-go are classified as junk. This one, I suspect, won't be.

Take a chance on it, I'd say.

Chance is my fav for Fall 2016

Author: debra_peebles from Santa Fe, NM
12 January 2017

I love this show. It's subtle so you have have to love subtle crime. I had a friend visit while I was about to watch, and he too got totally sucked in. Please give us season!!!

It provides real people characters and a great supporting caste from San Francisco--although it could be shot anywhere. This is dark, but seems congruous to the culture of the times.

Of course, Hugh Lurie can bring it. If there is a short-coming it's the pacing. It is slow perhaps where it should move, and move where it is slow, but still, I'm all in. It reeks of 1930s crime drama al-la, Dashal Hammett, but, who doesn't love that? Americana crime from the golden age.

Bring us some more, Hulu. It may take some time for folks to catch on, but, that's the nature of streaming these days. People have to have a source that provides.