One of the Best Bronte Biographies yet.

Author: croftcrescent
29 December 2016

I must admit I was dubious at yet another film of the lives of the Brontes.I needn't have been,this was an excellent production. Great art/location and costume work. The acting was slow,subtle and not over the top or "chocolate boxy" (as is with some Bronte biogs) The actors were excellently and evenly cast.Too often the sisters are too pretty and therefore lose authenticity. The sisters were quite plain,but feisty,and their characters reacted well against each other. It showed us (more than is normal) the complexities of mid Victorian life and morals. The two hours passed very quickly.

WHY? After the on screen credits,telling us how and when the sisters died.We went into the Parsonage front garden,and up the side path into the modern gift shop of the Parsonage Museum, and the camera panned around it for 5 minutes(showing you all the stock),quite why this was I cannot see.It succeeded in killing the atmosphere that had been achieved in the preceding 2 hours.

Brilliant

Author: whitehouse-paul from United Kingdom
31 December 2016

Absorbing and with authentic Yorkshire vernacular in parts.

Each sister was given their own character: Anne seemed to be the placid one,Charlotte was a feisty little firecracker while Emily was emotional and quick to temper. I admired all three characters.

I believe the rock outcrop on the moors where Emily stood in the film is Ponden Kirk near Haworth - this is a pre-Christian holy place and in Victorian times was where young couples would crawl through a hole in the base - this would mean they would be wed within a year. A fitting place to film on the moors which provided such inspiration to them.

A welcome and unique addition to dramas about the Bronte sisters who provided some of the finest writing in the English language.

Real and accurate portrayal of the Bronte family

Author: sarahnu-29387 from Yorkshire, United Kingdom
30 December 2016

This drama was in my opinion the best attempt yet to accurately portray the Bronte family who lived in very difficult times and circumstances. It was gritty, real and brutal. The effects of Branwell's addictive personality were clearly shown, with the destructiveness not only on himself but the whole family. The struggles of women writers in those times were a true test of character, and I loved the way the drama showed this and how the sisters overcame all obstacles with determination, courage and grit, with Charlotte at the helm. She was the main force in obtaining publication. All three sisters were remarkable, all in their own way. The drama was filmed in the actual Haworth parsonage, it was as vivid a recreation as it is possible to get, the personalities were spot on, the accents, and family dynamics. Spot on. ten out of ten!